Definite - "Spring Drive" in Texas Hill Country

Started by MPlayle, October 16, 2016, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Dave, what is your e.t.a. for wichita falls?  It's probably the closest y'all will be to the metromess and may try to swing up there to see all the cars.  My wife has become more mini obsessed than me, didn't think that was possible.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Hard to say, but late afternoon or early evening......if you want to PM me your cell phone I can give you a call mid-day and give an approximate time.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Looking at the extended weather forecast for Kerrville and things look good so far - mid-to-upper 70's and only 10% chance of rain a couple of days.

MiniDave

Our travel plans are in flux at the moment gr8kornholio, but we may be going thru Dallas instead......I'll have to let you know .

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Unfortunately John Styers and Susan McKenzie will have to miss the  event.....

Don
Dave
Bruce
Justin
Willie B
Dan
MPlayle

will be our contingent.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

Thanks for the update.

I have been going through some very stressful times - mom's health took another serious downturn today.  The last couple of weeks (mom's previous health crisis and then a tornado hitting her condo) have really stressed family relations.

All said, I am still planning to attend.  A friend and I are going to try to connect tomorrow to finish up the last bits preparing the Moke.

It will be my first "vacation" in something like 12 years and right now I really need it.

MiniDave

I think John really could too, but needs must........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

We had some fierce storms blow thru last night, but today is clear, sunny and cool. I have a few days to catch up on honey-do's before we head south but I am ready for a road trip!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll be getting in Tuesday evening/night so will miss that day of driving. 

Willie_B

Just got back from the Bridgestone Winter Driving School. Fun time. Bit windy all day and the high was 24. Now I am more than ready for Texas temps.

MiniDave

Wow, that looks cold!

Did you/she learn anything about winter driving?

Good that they used a 4wd car, those are what I see in the ditch the most when we get our first snow/sleet/ice storm of the winter.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I did learn a lot. The course was not flat, it followed the terrain so you get to slide and slither around up and down hill corners and even off camber. Get to learn about the dynamics of a sliding vehicle and what to do correct that. The main reason I went was to take my daughter so she knows what to do in slippery conditions instead of slam on the brakes, let go of the steering wheel and scream.

gr8kornholio

Had the same issue in Colorado Springs, it was always the 4x4s in the ditch.  Not sure if it was the over confidence of being able to go, but when you hit the brakes you slide like everyone else, or I've heard they can be tricky becuase when you release the gas all 4 wheels and quickly change speed, inducing a slide.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

Other than being 4wd the 4runners sit higher so the weight transfer is more pronounced so you feel what is happening and learn from it. Some of my slides were way out of shape and still recovered from it. BUT there were a few times I was much too fast and that did not end well. Sure was fun. They also used Camrys for just the front wheel drive. They have them all wired so you can turn off all the driver aids like ABS and traction control.

MPlayle

Checked the extended weather forecasts: one site shows rain chances creeping in for Wednesday/Thursday, the other does not.

I continue to hold out hope for attending the full week.  My mom's situation has been in a great deal of flux.  I may have to back out at the last minute in order to attend to medical requirements for her.  If so, I will take time to run out Monday evening and pass along all of the drive information to someone.

I will keep folks posted as I know more on timing.

MiniDave

You have to take care  of family first, don't worry about us.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Doing the drive event is my "carrot" to keep me going through these recent crises.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Forecast for KC -

Thursday - Sunny, high 67*
Friday - Sunny, high 43*
Sat -Snow and below freezing temps
Sunday - Sunny and 40's

I'll be glad to get to some sunny warm Texas weather!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Next week's forecasts for Kerrville: Lows in the upper 40's, highs in the mid-to-upper 70's, partly cloudy most of the week.  One site still shows no rain chances all week, the other shows only 10% through Wednesday, 20% Thursday and 40% Friday.

gr8kornholio

We're expecting rain on Saturday but clearing up on Sunday here in the Dallas area.

MPlayle

Bad news for me.  My 2016 MINI Clubman (the tow vehicle) just broke down with a "Drivetrain Malfunction".

MINI roadside assistance thinks it may be a fuel pump failure.  Car has to be towed to the dealership - 2 hour wait for a 2 mile tow.  I am not going to be hopeful that it will be repaired in time for the event.

It looks like I am destined to miss the event after all.  I have my mom's car I can use as a backup for getting the drive information to folks Monday evening.

94touring

Willie_B

Quote from: MPlayle on March 09, 2017, 02:08:24 PM

It looks like I am destined to miss the event after all.  I have my mom's car I can use as a backup for getting the drive information to folks Monday evening.

I can stop by on my way thru San Antonio if it would help. At least to pick up the wheels maybe.

MPlayle

Well, I did just talk to Dave and he asked if I thought I could just drive the Moke to the event.

With everything going on with my mom's health I am going to still have to "play it by ear" and see how things work out.

If nothing else, I will use mom's car to drive up Monday evening and hand over the drive route information.

Life sure seems against me right now.

Willie_B:  That may be an option as well.  Send me a voice contact number (my phone is voice only - no texts).