First post, New Zealand builds, and Roof/A pillar repair

Started by paulmc130, September 23, 2016, 06:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulmc130

Hi,

My names is Paul, I live in New Hampshire and this is my first real Mini (I do own a '06 Bini). I bought the car making the very bad mistake of not physically seeing it (only pictures), but that is in the past now.
It is a '73 New Zealand built and, as far as I can tell,  it was processed in '72 and shipped as complete knock down kit from the date mark on the boot lid and that the British Archive has no history for the chassis number.

It has a 10GRB 1098cc which I can not tell if it was the original engine. I know according to the minimania engine identification list that the code is for MG1100 and Wolseley 1100. And I read somewhere (can't find the source at the moment) that a roundnose clubman was offered with a 1098cc in New Zealand. Or someone could of swapped out the motor sometime before it came to the US in 2001. Anyone have any light they may be able to shed on the subject or know more about the New Zealand builds?

A pillar repair, roof repair: I attached a couple of pictures of what I have uncovered...so far. Where do I start? The holes were pretty much straight bondo. These "repairs" (I have to admit the bondo work was pretty impressive and extensive) were made in New Zealand at some point because of the New Zealand newspaper stuffed down the a pillar and behind the cant rail. I am worried about how far the rust has spread behind the cant rail (which is NLA besides buying a complete side), I know the upper A pillar is not worth trying to save and needs to be replaced.

My thoughts: The roof is only bad in that corner but that looks like a tough repair with the curves. I was hoping I might be able salvage a part from the wing to get something close with the curve and work from there. I can order a complete windscreen surround to get the front/outer portion (this will get me the scuttle also) of the a pillar but I can not seem to find the rear upper/inner portion by itself only as part of the complete door surround.

I plan on stripping the rest of the the undercoating and getting the car blasted when I get my rotisserie built. I am just trying to make a plan of action before hand so I can make sure I feel comfortable with the repairs before spending any more money.

This is just the beginning of the discoveries I have made so far. I am wondering if I should just open the door, roll it out, and make a new lawn ornament...

Thank you,
Paul

MiniDave

If you go here  - http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/ - you'll see examples of cars far worse than this that have been brought back, in fact our host here on Restoration Mini has fixed worse himself!

Where are you looking for panels?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!   4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Welcome to the forum  4.gif.  If you can find a scrap mini to graft a section of roof corner from, that would be ideal.

paulmc130

Thanks for the info Dave, I have been looking through the other forums and youtube videos and know it is not that bad. I was just amazed at the amount of bondo I have found so far. Every time I pull out the grinder it is a new surprise! Right now I am replacing mostly everything front of the b pillar, including the x member, minus the firewall and the inner wing panels. Although that may change as I remove more of the undercoating. 

I have been looking on minispares for the panels at the moment. I have just been trying to get a list together of everything I need so I can order all the big stuff together. I would like to buy in the US but it seems like a good bit of savings with the body panels even with shipping at the moment.

I am going to put a post out on the uk forum looking for a roof corner.

Thanks for the help!