How often do you use Amazon?

Started by 94touring, September 25, 2026, 06:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

94touring

I find myself more and more not bothering to make trips to stores unless I really need something right now.  I buy items constantly on Amazon. Sitting in Singapore thinking about things I need to do when I get back like flush coolant and rather than drive out of my way to the auto store I'm pressing buy now and have it delivered a couple days before I get home.  I need some 4mm wide masking tape also. Rather than drive across town to the hobby lobby and spend 15 minutes wandering around, Amazon.

ADRay

I use it often for work, as it's easier and less time consuming than running around for things.

At home, not so much. I only use it if I need something that I can't find at a brick and mortar store within my usual range of travel.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Dan Moffet

I use Amazon to search for hard-to-find things like casement window operators, windsocks for a discontinued Shure gooseneck micophone, folding hand truck etc. Then I watch for local sales to see about a better price.
"Hang on a minute lads....I've got a great idea."

ve9aa

Once/twice a month on avg.

For me, 2 things.......price (sometimes Amazon is more though, so be careful)

and

availability (selection).

Where I live, 30mins NW of Fredericton, NB, Canada selection on certain things can be very poor.  It's not a big city and I have 1hr of driving + shopping times to consider. If I don't need it "today", I'll buy it on Amazon, even if the price is a LITTLE more.

But it's mostly about selection for me.

I bet in most of the USA or larger places in Canada it's less about selection.

Thoughts?
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

I have a large selection here. It's almost hard to not find what I need. And usually it's next day delivery.  Sometimes same day.

Dan Moffet

Here in Ottawa, there are, I think, two distribution centres, though they don't carry everything. The microphone windsocks I mentioned are coming from China and will arrive sometime between 15 October and 4 November. Shipping $2 CDN!

I have also bought a few things from VEVOR.CA where most of the prices are really good. They carry a strange and wide assortment of products. 
"Hang on a minute lads....I've got a great idea."

94touring

Vevor is pretty good!  I've bought a lot of things from them

MiniDave

I use Amazon less these days as I don't find they really have any price benefit, and other places like Wal Mart and Home Depot do home delivery too, for free if the dollar amount is high enough.

When looking for parts for my 06 MINI, I found better prices and still free shipping on Ebay on a number of things I needed. Pelican parts is a good source for a lot of German car stuff.
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers

ve9aa

Quote from: MiniDave on Today at 09:53:08 AMI use Amazon less these days as I don't find they really have any price benefit, and other places like Wal Mart and Home Depot do home delivery too, for free if the dollar amount is high enough.

When looking for parts for my 06 MINI, I found better prices and still free shipping on Ebay on a number of things I needed. Pelican parts is a good source for a lot of German car stuff.

I tried to order struts for my '09 BINI from Minimania.com a while back and that went sideways. :lipsrsealed:

Ended up buying 2 cheapies off Amazon that looked pretty close to OEM. :039:

I've bought from Pelican Parts before but with money exchange, duty, taxes, brokerage fees and now tarrifs if can be bloody expensive to get something here, often about double the cost. :41:
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

Got the tundra struts off Amazon for a good deal too.  Everything has free shipping with my subscription or whatever, plus I'll extend out shipping since I'm usually not in a rush or home and end up with some extra credit to put towards the next purchase.

MiniDave

Quote from: ve9aa on Today at 04:34:25 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on Today at 09:53:08 AMI use Amazon less these days as I don't find they really have any price benefit, and other places like Wal Mart and Home Depot do home delivery too, for free if the dollar amount is high enough.

When looking for parts for my 06 MINI, I found better prices and still free shipping on Ebay on a number of things I needed. Pelican parts is a good source for a lot of German car stuff.

I tried to order struts for my '09 BINI from Minimania.com a while back and that went sideways. :lipsrsealed:

Ended up buying 2 cheapies off Amazon that looked pretty close to OEM. :039:

I've bought from Pelican Parts before but with money exchange, duty, taxes, brokerage fees and now tarrifs if can be bloody expensive to get something here, often about double the cost. :41:

Same for me getting parts from Jolly Olde.....I found cheap OEM MINI struts on Ebay, I also got lucky and found a set locally on FB Marketplace
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers

94touring

For example the coolant was $17 shipped for free.  O Reilly has a deal at $16 going on right now.  I'll spend the extra dollar and save the gas money.