Can someone explain this to me?

Started by Merlin, December 24, 2014, 11:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Can someone explain how a left handed threaded castle nut can be worth $15 on the MM site? Especially when McMaster-Carr, which is a rip-off to begin with, wants $5.99 for a pack of 10? http://www.mcmaster.com/#95030a250/=v5y0g1 I know that they are grade 2, but still...

I went to Ace and they didn't have left-handed castle nuts, but they did have a fine left handed grade 5 nut. Happened to be the same height as the castle version so for $3.29, Ill chuck it in the mill and make my own.

I just don't understand where they think that they can get away with this crap?

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Jims5543

Because they can... and people will buy it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

Because people blindly buy it thinking that MiniMania is the only horse in the race. I never buy anything from them. In fact, the first time I bought with them I had an ordeal getting it shipped, was pissed that the item arrived late, the item didn't fit and I found out that what they were selling as OEM was actually a knock off and didn't fit. Will never buy from them unless they are the only supplier. I'm all for them doing whatever they want. It's their business. But the fact that I can buy all my parts from the UK and from Australia, pay the astronomical shipping, and I STILL get parts for hundreds and hundreds of dollars cheaper should say something.

jeff10049

I guess I'll tell my MM story I almost did in mudhens thread but held back.
As a business owner it's tough call as to what is professional to say about them.

However the more I think about it I feel compelled to say something about my experience with them, if nothing else to raise awareness about there business practices and ultimately effect change if enough people speak up. This may be wishful thinking as it has been nearly 6 years since my experience, from what I am hearing not much has changed.

Then again I don't know Don or how involved he is in sales, maybe he is unaware and threads like this if seen by Don will help.

My perception of there business model is that, it's based not on the lifetime value of a customer, but more the one time sale value of a customer I.E. get what we can and  move on.
My lifetime value would have been 7-10k just for the car i'm currently working on not including referral business.  But like others I deleted my cart most of that money has since been spent elsewhere like seven. I would think that most customers doing a restoration would have a value of at least 5k.

This thread started over pricing it seems they like to push for that extra little margin that's just enough to piss people off, it's easy to get a idea what they pay by looking at the UK sites retail pricing if they are paying more than that they need a new person in purchasing.

That nut is 12.95 at seven I get it, they by it for 4.00 pounds 6.00 us dollars plus shipping and need to make money. The benefit for us is we get it fast don't have to deal with international shipping, customs, if there is a problem we can call someone in this country etc.
Unfortunately none of these benefits apply to MM at least for any of my transactions. They ship painfully slow or don't even stock the items no one returns calls or provides tracking numbers etc. keep in mind this only reflects my experience but I have read of others with the same.

I could even deal with the 15.00 at MM if the service were their but it's not they want a premium price but provide poor service that's the major player for me on the classic parts side, new mini parts often carry  a premium of over $100.00 compared to my dealer that is unreasonable regardless of service.

If you read the price guarantee it's so full of excuses about why they won't match prices it's hopeless, one disclaimer is that the other business must have the part in stock. That implies to me that they are a stocking supplier but in every case where I asked if a part was in stock and ready to ship the answer was no. This is along the lines of the misleading description mudhen found.

I deal with this in my business some of the big retailers sell under my cost. However they often don't have very good customer service, so people would rather buy from us.
I think what it comes down to for me is if you don't have the best service you better have the best price, if you don't have the best price have the best service. Give me a reason to do business with you.

My experience over a few transactions went as follows,

First impression after buying a classic and finding there site was WOW how cool is this a place where you can buy everything you need that includes a forum full of mini enthusiast that can walk you through any questions.

First transaction needed a starter ordered one up some super whazoo new style thing to take the place of the original style OK whatever long as it works.  Waited waited waited and waited some more no starter after 3 weeks call they will check no return call wait, wait some more call again they don't have any but will get some in soon.

Well shit I kinda need this thing but nothing I can do about it but keep waiting finally get a starter bolt it on hit the key zing grind oh crap check the mounting pull it off three teeth are screwed on the flywheel what the heck? Start inspecting best I can tell wrong pinion gear on starter ,call MM hey this thing is wrong messed up my flywheel.

There response you should of checked to make sure it's right  checked it to what? it's some totally new after market replacement to what I had. Send it back we will check it out and if it's bad send another fine I send it tracking shows it made it there I call and call and call no one knows anything says they didn't get it I give him tracking number he says well "the way I see shit come and go out the back door around here it would not surprise me that it's lost" So they send another finally get it dress up the teeth on the flywheel put it on BTW it did have a different pinion gear, it works fine. I guess the flywheel damage is something i'm stuck with.

Few months go by I'm over the starter deal figure it was a one time mistake. Go to order up some parts my customer account is locked? Because we never got that starter WTF we have been through this already get that fixed again. Order a simple bearing on Monday so that I can have it, not for the coming weekend but for the one after. All week no bearing next Monday no bearing so I call someone will call back that day, no one calls back. Next day no bearing I call again to see where its at someone will call back no call back again. Next day no bearing shows so I call no one can tell me when I might get it. So I call seven ask if I could get it by Friday no problem bearing from seven shows Friday tracking was emailed same day as order. Sometime the week after the next the MM bearing did show about a month after ordering.

At this point I delete my 5k wish list and move to seven for my parts. But were not done yet.

I had read about deves piston rings and that they had them for the 850. so I go to deves site and fill out the order form for rings.  Seems to be taking a long time to get rings but I don't need them yet so whatever when they show the box has a mini mania sticker WTF that explains the long shipping time. I did not know they were owned by MM.
Come the day I'm going to assemble the engine get the rings and there wrong. Ok call get some old sounding guy says he'll get back to me wait three days no return call. Call again get same guy  promises to get back to me that day but never calls. Call again the next day get someone new explain my frustration they say it will be taken care of wait and wait and wait no rings were talking over a month here. start calling again everyone plays dumb no one has heard from me but someone will get back to me. (I have called at least 10 times in total at this point) You guessed it no one calls, so I try email no response no I'm getting really pissed so I send a email that shows it I said something like WTF do I have to do to get some customer service around here I have been waiting for the correct rings for almost three months. No response so I go to the better business bureau and file a complaint I get my rings in about a week.
The bad part is they post some bullshit rebuttal that the only chance I ever gave them to make it right was sending some vulgar email full of profanity. I think that looks very unprofessional for them they could have talked with me about what happened and a fair resolve I would have then gladly posted a favorable outcome on the BBB site.

There have been a few complaints since mine and another are now gone but another has taken it's place they only stay for three years but any business where you have to resort to the BBB to get a response is not a place I want to do business with. Think about all the people who just let it go because they don't have time to deal with it.

Well that's my story and unless I hear about some major changes at MM they won't ever get any of my money again.

Jeff

Merlin

If you ever look at the receipt that MM gives you, it is in the same format of that of MiniSpares. I have before assumed that they had some sort of deal with each other and MM chose to use, or share the ERP software so that the MS database could be transferred over to MM. I assumed this because they don't bother changing any of the MS part number on their parts that they sell.

However if they were actually working with MS I would expect that they get some sort of volume discount and therefore would offer parts at a slightly higher price but with enough to account for the usual business costs.

Except that it takes nearly 5 weeks to get stuff from MM and MS does a great job of selling to the US I can only assume that the gross cost of these parts come not from licensing fees from MS, but broker fees with some asshole in the UK and MM is buying at list price from MS.

With exception of a few hardware pieces, I could go to my companies fastener supplier and pull this off of the shelf. Those that are not standard, like Pre 76 front subframe bolts, could be made for $5 each. (I know this because I priced it out). I know that I bought the Timken bearings for the rear hubs for less than I could find anywhere online from my bearing supplier.

As a manufacture and a businessman, I would be constantly sourcing these parts elsewhere when I could. How many of you on this forum care about getting a "Rover" bolt? Not many as most of us only want our cars running. I would be driving cost of these parts down to muscle out 7ent and Moss where possible. I know that my customer base is still going to buy from UK sites as there is no way to compete against their buying power and large customer base. Knowing that the majority of US customers are not building concourse cars and just want repair parts and replacement parts quickly to avoid long shipments and customs issues, would change the concept of products stocked.

It seems to me that 7ent and MM either have a loyal and rich customer-base or they are raising prices because they are loosing business. Either way, I avoid them at all costs.

MiniDave

It would help me if I knew where some of your guys are located.....both 7 Ent and MM are West coast, so that does take some time to get stuff unless you pay for air shipping or overnight. For me in Kansas City, it takes far longer to get stuff from West coast suppliers than East coast....in fact, I've gotten stuff from ol Blighty quicker than from a US supplier since it comes DHL air.

I've done business with all the major suppliers, but for a big expensive order I go straight to England. Mike Guido is the US rep for Mini Sport and I've generally had really good support from him and them.....at least you can get ahold of Mike by phone when you need him!

However, I also have had some problems with the pricing of Mini parts...they just don't seem to match up with reality at times, but it's the hobby we're in so we pay the price. I've had good service from Jack at 7 Ent too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on January 04, 2015, 01:06:25 PM
It would help me if I knew where some of your guys are located.....

If you click on a user name it will open their profile, usually there is a location and other info there.

MiniDave

On most forums I frequent it appears under your name.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Dave, I'm in the Oklahoma City area. And I nearly always get my parts from MiniSport faster than any of the domestic suppliers. I'm friends with Mike Guido through Classic Minis United which led me to doing a lot of business with MiniSport. While MiniSport isn't exactly the cheapest on everything, they are quite cheap on a lot of things. I've ordered parts from Australia before as well. Honestly, if I had a need for panels or really any of the parts that Dan sells here, It would be the first place I would go. Fortunately, he already hooked me up with body work and paint. haha. I've also had really good dealings with 7ent.

For me, most of my orders are in the $800-$2000 price range right now and I get a whole lot more bang for my buck when ordering bulk from the brits. Shipping gets cheaper with those orders as well. Economies of scale and all.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on January 04, 2015, 02:15:31 PM
On most forums I frequent it appears under your name.....

I don't believe the software allows me to put it under the user names.  There is probably a mod I could install to do it, but I do have an improved user profile where your info can go. 

Merlin

Its not even bulk pricing that gets you cheaper from England. The price difference between buying the aforementioned LH nut from MS and MM is $13. Simply by buying two of them, you would break even on shipping from the UK vs California.

Chances are that the UK parts will arrive sooner, if not by weeks.

And the pricing gets worse as the parts get more mini specific. Aftermarket wiper delays that cost $68 on minispares are $190!
http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Electrics/MSSK2005.aspx?09&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/wiper%20delay.aspx|Back%20to%20search
http://www.minimania.com/part/MSSK2005/Wiper-Delay-Conversion-To-Make-Intermittent-Wipers

Secondly, minimania sells parts for MINI's, minors, sprite, healey and others... They aren't relying on just mini sales for business.
I don't know much about MiniSport as it has always seemed to me that they have a .com website and dollar pricing to appear that they are american. Shipping seems a little high to be a US based warehouse. After seeing the metallurgy issues with Jim's roller rockers, I have to be very weary of buying aftermarket parts from them.

MiniDave

No, MiniSport is in England, but they have a US website and presence....and local guy Mike Guido is here in the US and interfaces with the company in England on your behalf. He also stocks some wear parts and maintenance parts. The shipping quotes are from England, and everything pretty much comes DHL.

I've been happy with everything I've ordered from them.

As to the rocker problem Jim had, I can't comment as I only read what Jim wrote.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

[rant on]Speaking of shipping pissing me off...(ok, maybe that's not what this thread was about intially...) - man...I was just about to pull the trigger on a fibreglass hood - heck, they're like $60.  WTF!  Shipping - $90!

Over the holidays some rallycross people were talking about getting race seats from a place in Ireland that was having a big sale - I warned them - be careful, I got a small box of Mini parts not too long ago and it was $30 in shipping, and then I got hit with an additional $20 a month later - I can't imagine what the shipping on the seats will be.  They said, '$40!'.  No way.

So I bought a pair.  Yup, $40 each - for 4'x3' boxes.  No surcharge after either.

And MiniSpares wants $90 for a hood?!??!?

Probably costs them $30 and they pass the profits on to themselves.  F, F, F, F'ers. [/rant off]

F.  I gotta get off this diet before I have a complete melt down.   50.gif

SoCalMiniFan

As far as location and speed. I can place an order on Saturday night/Sunday Morning with MiniSpares and 9 times out of 10 I have it in San Diego California no later than Friday, most times I've had it Thursday and even as soon as Wednesday.  I noticed a slight delay in the December/January months this year but they mentioned they were doing inventory and moving one of their warehouses and by slight delay I mean I got it the following Monday. 

I average together cost of item, shipping, and DHL fees and I still come out WAY ahead, also the US$ isn't doing too shabby at the moment and that helps. I always try to make a larger order, at least $100-200 to make it worth the shipping.  If I need a single item I usually order from 7ent which has excellent customer service and quick shipping. I can't think of a single item MM has that I need so badly I can't shop around and get elsewhere.

The MM forum is a base of great knowledge when you dig for it. Currently though, there isn't a single topic on the front forum page worth my time right now that's not littered with bullsh*t answers from a particular member, if the off-topic stuff was even remotely funny or entertaining perhaps I'd be ok with it but it's just frustrating and bothersome.  It seems any topic I need an answer to has been tarnished by the multiple personalities of a particular member making it not even worth my time to dig for an answer. I can come here, ask, and within a few hours have exactly what I was looking for.

I look at it this way, I made one large purchase at the very beginning stages of Mini ownership, I've paid my "dues" to access the forum for a while in my eyes. Here at R-M I recently made a donation since Dan doesn't really sell anything I need at the moment and I like you guys.  In a few months I'll donate some more, I feel like its my "due" fees for access to your knowledge and all of your quick responses when I ask things like how to I get a clutch hose to the MC and the answer is so obvious, thank you for entertaining my beginner questions.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Mudhen

I got this back from MiniSpares when I asked about it:

"We normally use DHL for small to medium order and freight (pallets) for larger orders.
DHL's freight cost is one of the best rate we can get at the moment.  There maybe some smaller freight company
can do cheaper but we wont be able to get a quote to every individual order.  Sometimes some other company might have a larger volume or special
contract for a special rate, so shipping cost could be very different.  In the future, if you prefer to have your order collected by a freight company of your choice,
please let us know and we can provide dim and weight so you can shop around to find the best deal and have it collected.
We do have quite a few overseas customer using this method, hope this helps."

I've been standardizing on MiniSpares lately for the same reasons you mentioned.  And I do have to say - the UK/Ireland companies I've been using have amazing customer service, even over email.  Murray Motorsports where I got the seats and other stuff wrote back with tips, suggestions, etc.  I called a local place in NH about getting some lexan windows for my MINI...answering machine.  Emailed them....no response.  My money will be going to a UK place now.  Screw 'em.

Merlin

If you want a good price on a fiberglass hood that has been made to fit, contact rouges7even. Both MM and I have bought CF parts from him and they are quality. I would warn you that they are custom orders and they come when they come, so be patient. It is worth the wait.

Mudhen

Quote from: Merlin on March 16, 2016, 01:46:48 PM
If you want a good price on a fiberglass hood that has been made to fit, contact rouges7even. Both MM and I have bought CF parts from him and they are quality. I would warn you that they are custom orders and they come when they come, so be patient. It is worth the wait.

WOW  :-\

Cool stuff there!  Casa Grande...we were out there visiting my mom last year!  Looks like a winner.  I need a roof skin, too - $700 isn't bad when you consider a metal one is $500...

Thanks for the tip!

MtyMous

Yup. I support roguese7ens.com. Quality stuff. I have their upper dash rail and headlight rings. I'll probably be buying a boot and bonnet in the near future. We'll see.

Merlin

I bought their boot lid and hood in raw carbon and a full paintable carbon fiber front end and they look the part.

I have thought about doing a raw carbon fiber roof and getting it without the supports and gluing it to my roof for looks. I am still debating on that one.

MiniDave

It would be far cheaper to buy some of that 3M stick on vinyl if all you're going for is looks.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

It wouldn't have the same deep gloss look that I am after. It would also not patch up the holes in my roof that I want to cover and leave me with the perfect dome shape that I will obsess over for days.

MtyMous

I was seriously considering a full carbon roof when I was doing the resto. It would have been complemented with the roll cage I was going to do as well. Plans changed though.