Looking for a cone compressor tool

Started by Dmulder, March 25, 2016, 01:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

I know I'm relatively knew around here. At any rate I've been helped a ton by your knowledge.  I'm wondering if anybody here is in Michigan and would be willing to loan a tool or if anybody would be willing to ship/loans tool to me. I'd be willing to pay shipping and when I have the opportunity to help I will give back.

Thanks,
Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

I just take the upper control arm out - you need to check the bearings anyway unless you know they're good. Mine moved smoothly and I thought they were fine till I took them apart and found the shaft looking like this.....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You can also simply make your own.  I don't know if I still have pics floating around but if you find a piece of threaded bolt or rod the proper threads of your cones you're halfway there.  It escapes me what the threads are off the top of my head and also varies on years.

94touring

Here's a pic of what I made from a piece of threaded rod welded to a bolt that was the proper threads.  Found a spacer and then you just screw the nut on top which pulls the cone up.

MiniDave

Early cones are US threads, later ones are metric - 14mm IIRC

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Quote from: MiniDave on March 25, 2016, 01:44:20 PM
I just take the upper control arm out - you need to check the bearings anyway unless you know they're good. Mine moved smoothly and I thought they were fine till I took them apart and found the shaft looking like this.....
If I take the upper control arm out how do I remove the trumpet without getting hurt. I don't mean to sound stupid. Also do the cones just stay in place then because they are bolted in?  I know Dan said I could cut the trumpets right out. I just want to make sure I don't lose any fingers or limbs in the process
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

94touring

The cones simple rest on a lip.  With the suspension at full travel there isn't much force left behind the cones, especially old ones.

MiniDave

Also, while there is weight on the suspension, remove the lower bump stop to get a little more travel. It's only held in by one screw......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Dmulder I'm in Orlando , but have the correct cone compressor tool with both metric and SAE rods.
E'mail me if you are unable to put together. I will loan mine out.
Other tools mini specific in my tool box are ; rear wheel cylinder retaining clip tool,flywheel housing oil seal installation tool,syncro hub tool to install ball & springs.
Regards
Joe 77.gif