Best online shop for screws, bolts, fasteners, etc...

Started by thebluepotato, March 01, 2016, 02:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

Looking for the best place that has every possible bolt, nut, fastener, washer, etc...in every material known to man.  Need to find the right sized trunnion bolts that are in stainless...typical big box and ace do not have all the ones I am looking for (more metric options of course).  And been to grainger, but looking for cheaper. 

Thanks in advance!

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

thebluepotato, are you in the US or UK?

If US take a look at McMaster-Carr.  wwwmcmastercarr.com
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

If you are looking for ARP or Grade 8 try this guy...............

http://www.allensfasteners.com/default.asp

Regards
Towjoe 77.gif

94touring

John Gervais

What I like about Namrick is that they've also got BSW & BSF products, including taps & dies.  We all know that our minis have the odd thread here and there...
- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

I've used Fastenal for a lot, but they aren't much cheaper

thebluepotato

Sorry all - I am in the US....Southeast (Georgia).   17.gif

Trying to replace the rear subframe mounting bolts for my MK4 in SS (I have entire rear sub built with all he fixings, just need to mount):

1) Long trunnion bolts (4) - 5/16-24 (UNF, fine), 2.5" - although the bolts I removed have these vertical engraved thread lines that look odd
2) Shorter trunnion bolts (2) 5/16-24 (UNF), 2.5" (partial thread)
3) Shorter trunnion bolts (2) 5/16-24 (UNF), 1.25

Also have the front subframe bolts to regfresh (assorted short ones) that I assume are similar thread pitch.

Ace Hardware had a TON of bolts that matched, just only a few in SS - most in standard (rust prone) material.  No zinc as well.

SoCalMiniFan

I use a place called Marshall's locally here in San Diego but they do mail order too.

http://www.marshallshardware.com/

I found their prices, at least for what I needed, to be fair and they had literally EVERY nut and bolt that I needed for my car.

Some of their things were great prices, other things were not so much so it depends on what you're buying. I re-did my Power line and the price p/foot in store was astronomical in comparison to what I could find online.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

MtyMous

Yeah, the factory bolts were fluted/grooved. Not sure the reason, but they didn't do anything but wick moisture in on mine.

When replacing fasteners, it is important to look at the intended load rating for that fastener to see if replacing with Stainless is appropriate. Stainless has good corrosion properties,  but is not very good with tensile or yield strength. And by "not very good" I mean they are below "grade 2" which is the really cheap low carbon steel you can buy at Wal-Mart. With the exception of some very specialized SS bolts from places like ARP, you will not find an equivalent of Grade 5 or Grade 8 in stainless. You'll be stuck with 18-8 and very low yield and tensile values.

I personally don't use stainless to fasten anything like suspension components or critical loads. Exhaust hangers? Brake line brackets? Low load external fasteners? Yes.

Just something to consider.

thebluepotato

Quote from: MtyMous on March 02, 2016, 09:46:28 AM
Yeah, the factory bolts were fluted/grooved. Not sure the reason, but they didn't do anything but wick moisture in on mine.

When replacing fasteners, it is important to look at the intended load rating for that fastener to see if replacing with Stainless is appropriate. Stainless has good corrosion properties,  but is not very good with tensile or yield strength. And by "not very good" I mean they are below "grade 2" which is the really cheap low carbon steel you can buy at Wal-Mart. With the exception of some very specialized SS bolts from places like ARP, you will not find an equivalent of Grade 5 or Grade 8 in stainless. You'll be stuck with 18-8 and very low yield and tensile values.

I personally don't use stainless to fasten anything like suspension components or critical loads. Exhaust hangers? Brake line brackets? Low load external fasteners? Yes.

Then what do you use for suspension components and critical loads that is not corrosion prone?  All the SS bolts I have seen so far are 18-8.

Merlin

Im with MM on this one. Don't use stainless for suspension. Grade 8 bolts, and most non-black bolts comes zinc coated so they wont rust. Make sure that the surface you are bolting to is painted/plated and you won't have cathodic corrosion. Hardware that is zinc or cad plated will be perfect and won't corrode.

I use a company called big red fasteners here in Tulsa, but you will have a local industrial store close to you. They have the best pricing and availability than anyone. They beat grainger/mcmaster by 80% and are much cheaper than fastenal. I would google and find your local independent store. They will also help you with your selection in hardware.

What city are you in?

Engineering the Impossible

thebluepotato

Quote from: Merlin on March 02, 2016, 02:11:59 PM
Im with MM on this one. Don't use stainless for suspension. Grade 8 bolts, and most non-black bolts comes zinc coated so they wont rust. Make sure that the surface you are bolting to is painted/plated and you won't have cathodic corrosion. Hardware that is zinc or cad plated will be perfect and won't corrode.

I use a company called big red fasteners here in Tulsa, but you will have a local industrial store close to you. They have the best pricing and availability than anyone. They beat grainger/mcmaster by 80% and are much cheaper than fastenal. I would google and find your local independent store. They will also help you with your selection in hardware.

What city are you in?

Merlin - Im in Marietta GA (just outside Atlanta) - so anywhere in Atlanta will work.  So you think Grade 8 bolts that are zinc or cad is best for the trunnion and front subframe mounting points.  Side note - I am not convinced that the bolds sold say by Minisport, are even grade 8.  So would like to make a smart decision now.  Thanks for any advice you can lend.

Merlin

Yes.

I am assuming that these are standard bolts and not metric. If they are metric, grade 8 means something else, and you would want a grade 10 metric.

I would google industrial fasteners in Atlanta and see who pops up and call around. My vendors know theirs shit and you should find someone that does as well. Big Red will pick up a bolt and tell me if it is Chinese shit or american by looking at it.

Merlin

thebluepotato

Quote from: MtyMous on March 02, 2016, 09:46:28 AM

Having tough time finding 5/16-24 2.5" fully threaded grade 8 bolt locally....got everything else....but has anyone used partial threaded rear trunion bolts?  I can source these by the dozen, but to find a fully threaded in this spec, is hard.  Even MiniMania shows partial thread here for say Mk4.

94touring

Ya don't need fully threaded...just needs to be able to thread into the captive nuts and/or nuts. 

thebluepotato

Quote from: 94touring on March 04, 2016, 10:43:31 AM
Ya don't need fully threaded...just needs to be able to thread into the captive nuts and/or nuts.

Thanks for clarifying.  Was creating a headache! 50.gif

Merlin

Less threads the stronger the bolt. It stretches less when it is partially threaded.

MiniDave

Lots of good info in this thread!

My brother in England messaged me that he was looking for some wing bolts in SAE sizes but all he could find in the UK were Metric. I went to Bolt Depot and they had everything I needed for him at 10% of the price Grainger or McMaster wanted. Great resource! Of course pretty much no one here in the US will ship out of the country so I had them sent to me and I'll send them on to the UK.

I also forwarded him the link to Namrick, thanks for that one John.

I used Marshalls years ago when I lived in Sandy Eggo too, only they were in National City then, IIRC.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Reminde me, I need to place another order to replenish some bins that are getting low.

MiniDave

Bolt Depot had the nuts and bolts I ordered for my brother in my hands in 2 days, then I took them down to the Post Office to send them to my brother in England.....the nuts and bolts cost me $15 to my door, it cost $35 more to get them to England! Yes, there were cheaper methods available but I wanted to see if I could get them to ol Blighty as quickly as MiniSpares gets their stuff to me. The clock is ticking, but with the weekend I don't expect them to arrive till Monday at the soonest. We'll see....

We've all been spoiled by the quick service model of Amazon!

My wife buys lots of little doggy bits like collars and toys off of Ebay that all come in grey plastic bags from China. They say expect 4-6 weeks but they usually arrive in less than a week!

I've bought electrical bits this way too, and am always surprised how quickly they can come all the way from China. I'm guessing this is all going to change now with what the Cheeto in charge has done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring