SpaceX launch Falcon 9 Cape Canaveral

Started by tsumini, February 25, 2016, 06:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

SpaceX was supposed to launch Falcon 9 yesterday but it was delayed until this afternoon but was again delayed with no re-schedule yet.
It just so happens that a group of family members  is renting a house around Cocoa Beach starting Sat the 27th for a week. I understand Cocoa Beach is within shouting range of the Cape so am looking forward to watching launch.
Hopefully they won't re-schedule before Sat and will blast it sometime during the week.

John Gervais

"I understand Cocoa Beach is within shouting range of the Cape so am looking forward to watching launch."

Yep - I used to love watching 'I Dream of Jeannie' (starring Barbara Eden & Larry Hagman) as a kid growing up.  It was nearly everything a kid could want in those days, a geography lesson and quality comedy TV.
- Pave the Bay -

tsumini

Just watched countdown to zero but no fire. Countdown apparently got down to 1 sec then ignition failed so launch scrubbed.
Wondering if they had a good ground.
Some guy from MM claimed the fan was on backward.

Jims5543

I lived in Cape Canaveral on the border of Cocoa Beach you are in a good spot, just get onto the beach to watch if and when it finally goes up. I used to live 1 block from the beach, as well as worked right outside the gates of Kennedy on Merritt Island so I always had a front row seat to the launches.

Have fun and enjoy the weather, try to hit the Taco City while in the area. Great Messican food.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Tim

Launch went off tonight at about 6:45pm.  Released the Sat. without problem.

They tried again to land the first stage on a barge.....  the barge won again.

Tim.

tsumini

Yeah was watching the "live" webcast when it fired off but webcast had 30 second delay so kinda missed liftoff. But it passed in front of us and was spectacular.

Jims5543

At 2 this afternoon, I realized I could get out of the office early, I went home, grabbed a change of clothing for our 12 y/o grabbed the wife and leaft to go pick the kid up from school.

We had a 2 hour drive up, we are 100 miles away from the cape.

We parked next to our old house in Cape Canaveral and walked to the beach to watch the launch.

Yes, the web broadcast was VERY behind the actual launch but we caught it all.

The beach had a lot of people out watching which was really cool to see so much interest. All of Cocoa Beach was buzzing, traffic was insane as well.

We drove to Indian Harbor Beach and hit a BBQ joint for dinner. Did not get home until almost 10 PM.  It was much better than sitting home.

The wind could have been a factor it was blowing hard from east to west, but I noticed this rocket was much quieter than the Space Shuttles, and Atlas rockets. I am sure it is much smaller.

Still an awesome spectacle and bummed the landing did not stick. With the wind as it was and the ocean kicked up I would have been surprised if it did stick.

It was a beautiful evening for a launch nonetheless.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson