LED shop lights

Started by jeff10049, November 15, 2015, 02:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

I got tired of replacing the ballast all the damn time in the 8' lights at home 3 of them went out it the past 6 months.

I went to the store to get ballasts and bulbs but saw a 4' twin tube led for about $50 so I bought one to try very impressed it makes and diffuses more light than the 8 footers. At first I figured on buying two to replace each 8 footer but that won't be needed its also supposed to last 46 years. Another cool thing is it only uses about 1/3 the power.

This is the one I got
http://www.amazon.com/America-Shoplight-Aluminum-housing-included/dp/B00UTX4HJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447036404&sr=8-1&keywords=lights+of+america+4+foot+led+shop+light&pebp=1447036414975&perid=11F9EN3KC2FAEE1MW941

Jims5543

My brother works for Bigassfans / Bigassolutions and just hooked me upnwith employee pricing on a set of LED shop lights from them. I should be getting them in about a week. I am looking forward to a bright garage. LED is the way to go.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

cool i'm buying some big ass fans for the business before year end. I should check them out for lighting as well need to update that at the business.

Something else I noticed today I went out to turn on the heat so I could work on the mini it was just under 30 in the shop and the led fired right up. While the old fluorescents flickered and buzzed. It gets way colder than today here so the instant on action will be nice this winter.
I figure 6 of these will light my 22x40 shop just fine can't wait to get the rest installed.

Jeff

MiniDave

Modern fluorescents don't buzz and do light off right away, but don't come up to full brightness for a few minutes. I like the LEDS, but up till now they were pretty spendy......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on November 15, 2015, 09:31:29 PM
Modern fluorescents don't buzz and do light off right away, but don't come up to full brightness for a few minutes. I like the LEDS, but up till now they were pretty spendy......

If it was not for my brother and his discount, I would not be buying the Bigasssolutions LED lights. They are $400 a pop and a little over the top price wise for me.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

so what are the benefits that make it worth the retail price? I couldn't find the real benefits. Not dissing it. Just curious.

MiniDave

light weight, extremely low energy consumption, great light output, last 4-evar.....the four footer the OP bought is only about twice what the same size fluorescent costs, and he'll never need bulbs or ballasts again.

That said, I haven't had to replace either bulbs or ballasts in any of my shop lights in decades......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Woops. I should have clarified. haha. I was talking specifically about the Bigass lights. I'm replacing my T-12's when I move in February with LED's, but I just don't get what the Bigass lights offer that puts them at their retail price. So I must be missing something. That's why I asked.

Jims5543

I am not trying to sell you on the light just pointing out the features.

The $400 big ass light (BAL) is 13,000 lumens vs. 4200 lumens for the $43.

The $43 light is 4 feet long.  The BAL is not so big, it is 24" x 10".  Most do not care about how much space is taken up so this is not a big deal to me.

I might order a couple of the $43 Amazon lights, and install them in the garage with the BAL's even though I was told 2 BAL's will fill the garage with light.

Also those $43 lights are only hanging style, no surface mounting. Probably not a problem but worth knowing.

MtyMous

Ah... there's the key. Lumens. That's a monster difference. Honestly, when you look at it that way, they aren't that much off on the retail price for LED's at that lumen output.

I would love to see the difference (with a camera on manual exposure/ISO/aperture) that shows the real light output difference. Can't wait to see how you like it. I won't be dropping $400 on one. I'd be willing to spend $150.

Shrimps

Their name cracks me up; drop the "Big" and all you've got is an Ass Fan or an Ass Light.

MiniDave

One? it says you'll need three to buy the light in your link!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: bikewiz on November 22, 2015, 08:02:09 AM
Save a "C" note for the BAL lights with these guys.
http://www.ruralking.com/the-garage-light.html?fee=2&fep=117139&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLfW5NSlpMkCFUiQHwoducAJ_A

That is a good price, I got mine for 200 each but that is employee prices.  Wink wink...

I am in no hurry for mine, my brother has the money and has ordered them, once he has them and gives me box dimensions and weight, I am emailing a shipping label for him to send them to me.

Jims5543

So I got 2 LED shop light (13K Lumens each) for half off.

They even included a nifty pair of Sunglasses that they said you will need and to not look into the light. LOL!

I am not sure if this will do the light justice, the overhead lights are 500 lumens if I remember correctly, when you turn on the shop light they look like night lights. It is like turning on the sun.

Overhead lights

Big Ass light on..

But man, my garage is going to be like daytime once I install them.  I think they will go in right away.

jeff10049

MtyMous

I'm tempted to buy 2. Do you know what the current draw is on those things? Watts or amps will tell me what I need.

Jims5543

Here is the label on the back of one of them.

Jims5543

I installed the lights last weekend, two words. Holy Shit.

I liked the dim fluorescent lights better, they hid how much of a mess my garage is, I have a lot of work to do now.

Jims5543

Just ordered two more from my Brother, we are going to put them in the shop space.

I like they are plug in style, I can hang them where I want and move them around pretty easy.

They will come in handy when we start tearing into this E30 soon.

Jim

jedduh01

To Add to the shop lights discussion.  = LED Tubes.

I had a 4 Footer Fluorescent that was  having trouble - Probably needed bulbs.... figured- step up lets try a Conversion set.

Just did it - purchased these from amazon.  I converted 2 4 foot fixtures i had already.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon%C2%AE-Dual-End-Powered-equivalent-DLC-qualified/dp/B00SSNPI80/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=4122ezSRvaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0D17YCSXV7AHTTJHT4BW

you do have to - Unwire-  the ballast - but basically its simple .  Cut ballast wires- you Can  throw ballast in trash.

One end of the fixture becomes Dummy holders  Holding the lamp up= dont touch the wires.

The other side- gives power to the lamp = Simply wire your Loads and neutrals to the proper termanals on the bulb- and you're golden.

I installed 4 in about 30 min... I will be doing the next 4 4 ft fixtures i have in my garage. All my fixtures were already hanging fixtures = I have not touched them since installation to check for how hot the new LED bulb gets.  its all plastic i doubt they get hot.

Performance :  EXCELLENT!   For 14$ per bulb 28$ for a fixture = Cheaper than a whole 4FT Replacement lamp= and easy to install

The lighting is BETTER than any 4 Ft  flourescent bulb that was ever in the roof.   While looking at the LED Directly they are Bright and hurt your eyes from the intensity== but as the light they cast  unknowing that they are and different.   Supposed to have a 21 year life = I wont touch them again.

I probably could even take out a few 4 footers - because of adequate better coverage.

highly Recommended.

Will try to get a pic of my lighting picture== or more so after i install the next 8

MtyMous

With the move to my new house in Ohio, I'm going to try something a bit more creative when I get there. The 2 T12 4ft fixtures I currently use are good, but not anything to brag about. Plus, they are power hogs. In the ballpark of 100 watts per fixture. For a mediocre light output in my opinion. Not to mention that I have to do electrical work to wire them in at every house I move to. And I move often. So... I'm going to try and get creative with high intensity LED strips and industrial grade power supplies for them. Extremely slim/compact, total consumption will be about 300watts and will have easily 5 times the total light output of the two fixtures combined. I already did an experiment with creating my own individual fixture and I was really happy with that output, so I will probably give this one a go. My first project is putting multiple strips on the ceiling. Then we will go for some side lighting on a separate ciruit which will be very very useful when it comes time for detailing and doing work in areas normally in the shadow. It's a level of versatility that most lighting options don't offer currently. Plus, I am going to try to make them easily removable and transportable.

I'll let you all know how it works out at my house with some detailed photos of the process. I'll probably create a new thread to leave this one as a testament to the badass-ness of the BigAss LED lights. Can't wait to see more pics of the lights you're getting. Wish I could afford a couple myself.

Jims5543

If these Big ass lights were not half price I would never buy them. I purchased 4 for the price of 2 and while pricey, will come in handy and are very portable. So when I have no need for the storage space / shop I can move them to my home garage easy.