Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

How are you going to run the oil drainback line from the turbo to the sump?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The turbo sits over the breather and it looks like everyone just feeds into that.

MiniDave

Since we're talking about boost, we should probably talk about lag too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I picked a smallish turbo to minimize lag.  In fact this gt1549 turbo has a few different wheel trims that are more suitable for small bore engines. I took that same platform and went with the biggest wheels available for that size turbo that are better paired for a large bore.  You don't want a turbo capable of 250hp when you are shooting for 120hp.  Another thing I'll be doing is injecting my water/meth combo directly into the turbo compressor.  This effectively changes the turbo map creating a more efficient output due to the reduction in compressed heat.  You can run a smaller turbo but more boost this way that would normally stop producing power at the same boost levels.  As well as it eliminates detonation should you accidentally run lean.

Willie_B

Just stumbled onto this site. They have some cool stuff like how to convert a A engine to 5 groove serpentine belt. They also some nice bits for supercharging or turbo. Plate for raising thermostat housing so can use a GM temp sender in the gap. The easiest way to see what they have is click on the Purchase tab. Pic shows temp sender and serp. belt.

https://www.creativespridgets.com/

94touring

Putting the mini to work today.  Have this 998 auto I needed pulled into the shop to haul up to Dave.

Someone was asking about auto shift cables...

MiniDave

If that's going in the Pup, won't he need the subframe too? In fact, he'll need a two bolt automatic subby, right?

Are you going to build the subframe up for him? Disc brakes and such?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

That auto shifter looks the same as the one I dug out of a box o' junk maybe I will hold onto it in case someone needs one some day. Thanks for the pic.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on November 18, 2020, 11:09:04 AM
If that's going in the Pup, won't he need the subframe too? In fact, he'll need a two bolt automatic subby, right?

Are you going to build the subframe up for him? Disc brakes and such?

Yeah I'm building subframes for him.  But this auto subframe is a 1 bolt so I have to fabricate a little on the pickup bulkhead to support it. 

94touring

Gave the car a wash today and got the new 59D timing locked and setup with the black box and verified with timing gun.  Took it for a spirited drive.  After driving the bus for the past week the mini felt like a formula car.

G67mcs

I see your Mini makes a good tow vehicle as well  ;D
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

94touring

A little update to the amethyst.  It doesn't work!   I tried every combo I could think of with wires, plugs, shielding, coils, and nothing.  Put my csi back in and runs rock steady.  I'll eventually buy another cb performance blackbox that did work fantastic and what I have on the bus. 

94touring

This morning I went outside to drive my truck to the shop and noticed a nearly flat rear tire. Went a couple blocks over to the gas station for air.  Discovered the valve stem was leaking.  Was able to get it to the shop to top it off with air to go to my tire guy.  Tossed air in the other rear tire that looked low also to discover that valve stem was leaking too. What the hell!?   Anyways I grabbed a set of the Advan 032R's to swap onto the mini on the way to the tire shop. Got all fixed up and decided I'd tend to a few things on the mini that I keep pushing off. For starters the rc40 exhaust was starting to come apart and had been dragged enough times it needed some love. I have a maniflow center exit exhaust on the shelf for when I go turbo so decided to just put it on. Old exhaust was stuck to the Y pipe after being on a few years and an air chisel later got it off, but knackered it all up.  Fast forward to cutting the end of the Y pipe off that was all mangled up.  Grabbed some exhaust pipe off the shelf and found a section that fit over the Y pipe end and inside the maniflow exhaust. Welded that on and slipped it all together. Fits nice and has more clearance to the ground for that matter.  Other thing I noticed was my left rear disc brake pad was worn down pretty low.  Took it apart to swap pads but discovered it was dragging, which explains why that side was worn down and the other side wasn't. After more fiddling and inspection realized the return spring on the caliper to the hand brake needed moved to a different slot to create a firmer return.  The way the mechanism works if that return doesn't pull back completely it creates just enough drag on the pads it eats them up over time. So with those items fixed up next on the to do list is add the working speedo Bruce sent up. I may need to adjust the hi los with the new tires as they're a fair amount taller than the race tires. I'll have to test drive it aggressively to see if it rubs. Oh and it's due for an oil change!

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Time to fix up this bonnet that had an ouchy during our Arkansas drive.

MiniDave

Are you gonna finish Rob's car this next week or so?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah paint scheduled for Monday. I want to do this hood at the same time. 

94touring

MiniDave

Very pretty, now you can send those pics off to AC insurance.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I used up the rest of my paint too.  Next time I'll need to order more.