Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Any of you follow BaT -Bring a Trailer?

Currently this one is for sale now..... http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini/

There's also this racecar..... http://bringatrailer.com/2015/01/06/class-chameleon-1968-austin-mini-racer/

This Vtec "kit" sold recently - and surprised me how much it brought.... http://bringatrailer.com/listing/64-morrismini-clubman-estate-wagon/
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

I'm an avid BAT-er... 4.gif

That race car is a LOT of car for the money - man, wish I could afford it, even if just for the motor and the dog box...

MiniDave

I'm surprised how many have been on there....there was an Innocenti that sold last month too...

The first one will be interesting to see what it brings....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Almost worth buying some of them just for the engines, I need an engine.  ;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Hard to beat an engine from 7 Ent for value......by the time I finished mine I was only a couple thou cheaper than what they sell one of their rebuilt motors with gearbox for.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: MiniDave on January 12, 2015, 04:27:08 PM
Hard to beat an engine from 7 Ent for value......by the time I finished mine I was only a couple thou cheaper than what they sell one of their rebuilt motors with gearbox for.

I'd like to just get a Swiftune setup with dog box and be done with it.  Any idea of the cost of one of those setups?  $20k?  I was on there today ooogling over parts I can't afford and once again thinking, 'does anyone really buy stuff here a'la carte?'  Too many options for my simple mind.

Jims5543

BAT sure has changed over the years it used to be a place where you could buy a barn find car for a decent price then trailer it home. Now you buy a car for 50-60K and put it in an enclosed trailer to protect it on its way home.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Yes, it does seem to cater to the more expensive stuff now.....but then there are only so many barns..... ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Anyone currently watching the Minis on BAT?

There have been some crazy high prices over the past several months.   

This one is just about to be sold:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-morris-cooper/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

stan360

I just checked that one about 3 days ago and I thought it was sitting around 6k....They really jump in last hours of the auction.  There was a moke sold for 35K the other day and this 60 from a couple weeks ago sort of surprised me a bit

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-morris-850-t-mini/

BruceK

That Moke selling price was crazy IMO.  And so was the price for the "rough but somewhat original" 1960 Mini 850.   

But I guess this might reflect a change in the Mini market.    Great if you are selling, not so great if you want to buy. 

Perhaps time to call my insurance company and increase my coverage for my Mini...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

If anyone wants a crazy priced car, I have a 67 cooper S that can be built to spec  4.gif

BruceK

There is currently an Oz Moke on BAT to be auctioned there.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mini-australian-moke/

My guess is it will sell for $20K to $22K at that venue. 

BTW, I use a pseudonym on that site.  I am LarryH when I post there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

That 200K mile purple Jag brought $57,500!!!!!

I know the guy that owns it and he took it on the Southwest Oil Leak tour a few years ago, I was going to go on that but could not get off work long enough. They still do them but I haven't kept up since I've been Mini-ing.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 29, 2016, 04:31:18 PM
There is currently an Oz Moke on BAT to be auctioned there.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mini-australian-moke/

My guess is it will sell for $20K to $22K at that venue. 

BTW, I use a pseudonym on that site.  I am LarryH when I post there.

That Moke just sold for $22,250, pretty darn close to the high end I guesstimated.  And substantially less than the British Moke the week before that sold for $35K. 

I think Mini values might just be going up a little.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

There a couple of Mk. I Minis for auction on BAT. 

This car was just listed, but I think this kind of tatty but very original 1965 Cooper S will bring about $40K, maybe even more. 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-mini-cooper-s/

And I think this 1966 Mini 850 from New Zealand will go for about $12K.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mini-mk-i/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Is that 850 a Hydro car? I didn't know they did the hydro suspension on 850's......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 18, 2016, 03:59:32 PM
Is that 850 a Hydro car? I didn't know they did the hydro suspension on 850's......

Yup.  All Mk. I and Mk. II Minis got Hydrolastic from about 1964 to about 1970 (with the exception of the Moke and the long wheelbase wagons/vans/pickups). 

Even the Riley Elf and Wolseley Hornet got the wet suspension.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

TJF

The Cooper S is above what I would pay for it already. The 850 on the other hand looks like a good deal with 22 hours remaining. Anyone here in Atlanta and know the car?

BruceK

Quote from: TJF on October 19, 2016, 03:04:53 PM
The Cooper S is above what I would pay for it already.

Yes, but.  The Cooper S is already at $30K as I write this, with 5+ days left to go.  Unless some major flaw about the car is unearthed and people continue post enthusiastic comments about it, I am revising my guesstimate and I think it could go north of $50K.  Which is crazy, consider it is pretty tatty-looking.  But unrestored is now the rage for some people, and I think this one will have 'legs'.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

mascher

An original finish in unrestored condition is what every collector looks for and not just in car collecting. You can never reapply an original finish. Even just buffing it out would probably lower it's value. Shiney isn't everyone's ultimate goal.

Kelley

BruceK

Well, the Mini 850 on BAT didn't make the reserve.  Bidding only rose to just under $7K.   

However, I still think the Cooper S will go for big bucks. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on October 19, 2016, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: TJF on October 19, 2016, 03:04:53 PM
The Cooper S is above what I would pay for it already.

Yes, but.  The Cooper S is already at $30K as I write this, with 5+ days left to go.  Unless some major flaw about the car is unearthed and people continue post enthusiastic comments about it, I am revising my guesstimate and I think it could go north of $50K.  Which is crazy, consider it is pretty tatty-looking.  But unrestored is now the rage for some people, and I think this one will have 'legs'.

The '65 Cooper S auction at BAT just completed.  It sold for $43K.    A bit under my guesstimate of $50K, but that's a lot of money for an very original, but scrappy-looking authentic 1275 Cooper S.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I suppose that's a better value than the one that sold for $55K and needed everything done to it, but still......

Gives you a market to shoot for on your 67 S, doesn't it Dan?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad