Clancy's Moke 1275

Started by MiniDave, November 08, 2017, 09:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

2 leaving, 1 in for a total rebuild..........
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It's like Grand Central station, engine-wise!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Chugga-chugga-choo-choo?

::)

MiniDave

One gone, one to go......Clancy picked up his this am and was happy to get it back and running. Hopefully it will find itself back in the Moke in the next few months.

Right now plans are to take it to a shop and have the entire body powdercoated.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Update on Clancy's Moke, he's going to send the body off to be cleaned and powdercoated, then it's coming to me to have the entire drivetrain installed and for me to get it running and driving. this is not going to be a car that's used on the road much, it's mostly to be a car he'll haul to the race track and use in the pits and such......

I won't see it for a few months yet probably......but I'll update this thread when I start on it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Never heard of powder coating a whole body.  Should be very durable. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

They've had some experience with this.....when they build a racecar they powdercoat the whole thing except those areas they want to paint....so even in a unibody, they can powdercoat the entire underbody, inner fenders, interior and firewall and tape off the outer skin to be painted. It gives a very durable and easy to clean surface.

Same idea here with the Moke, but since it's going to be a utility vehicle they want it all coated I guess.

The shop puts the entire body in the oven for 24 hours, it burns off all oil, grease, paint and other contaminants, then they blast it gently with soda blaster, then into the powdercoating oven it goes again to bake on the finish....costs about $1500 - far faster and cheaper than a paintjob, tho not as pretty.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad