Fun kids project

Started by Mudhen, June 25, 2014, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Trying to think up projects to keep the kids busy this summer...stumbled on an Arduino blaster cannon remotely controlled on an Android phone that looked awesome, but a little more work than the kids can handle right now (I might buy some pieces and give it a whirl, though!  ::) ).

So how about a manual air powered rocket launcher?

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/blog/tag/pvc-rocket-launcher/

Picked up the PVC bits yesterday morning...at lunch got the shrader valve and a tap...and assembled this:

At 80psi we blew a hole out the side of the rocket (directions said use poster board - that didn't cut it!)

Also had a problem with nose cones disintegrating - a Lego Duplo block gave its life to be part of something bigger:

So an Apple Jacks box, duplo block, and some fins...AppleJack1, ready for launch:

HOLY CRAP does that thing fly!!!  LOL!!   :-\

Shot it up the driveway and at 90psi it actually went over these trees:

Not letting the kids fire it, though - pretty hard to get the pressure in and a little worried about any problems that might arise with the PVC exploding.  But wow, does it go...

Jims5543

Wrap it in Duct tape (the PVC) a blow out will not be so dramatic then.

My son and I used to build things all the time when he was 12-15 years old. We made a Trebuchet to launch babies with... actually baby dolls from Toys R us, my son is warped, it was his idea.

We also built a Potato Gun, which is most likely illegal. But so much fun.

He also made explosives and smoke bombs.  Under supervision of course. There was a stain in the road for years from the smoke bomb. 

My younger one is 10 now and I might look into that rocket. He would love that.

Good fun there Dad, good for you!!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson