Photo size

Started by tsumini, May 26, 2014, 06:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

Noticed I posted large photo 2mb plus. It's larger than it needs to be but resizing every photo is kinda time consuming. Are larger photos OK or should I make smaller?

sparetimetoys

At least yours don't turn on the side like mine do for some reason?
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

I would think that as long as it's hosted somewhere else, the site as a whole wouldn't care much at all. It will just take longer for the users to download and view/auto-resize. If it's hosted on the site, then I would think Dan has the site setup to only allow a maximum file to his liking... sort of a "if it fits it ships" mentality. That's the case on most forums. If it's too big, they won't let you host it locally.

94touring

Yeah with attachments if they are too big they won't upload.  I run into the sideways problem myself if uploading from my cell phone.  The best thing to do if you have several photos you want to upload to the forum is go into the media gallery and create a folder.  From there you can upload single files or mass upload as many as you want at one time.  Then to attach them to a post click the tiny mona lisa icon below the bold icon and paste in the direct link to the photo.  The benefit to this is you get free space to host your pics, it auto sizes them, and it makes the forum run faster when browsing the page the pics are attached to.

94touring

94touring

Looks like I was able to get attachments to load smaller.  Click on them increases the size.  File upload size is unlimited.   

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on May 26, 2014, 08:18:18 PM
Yeah with attachments if they are too big they won't upload.  I run into the sideways problem myself if uploading from my cell phone.  The best thing to do if you have several photos you want to upload to the forum is go into the media gallery and create a folder.  From there you can upload single files or mass upload as many as you want at one time.  Then to attach them to a post click the tiny mona lisa icon below the bold icon and paste in the direct link to the photo.  The benefit to this is you get free space to host your pics, it auto sizes them, and it makes the forum run faster when browsing the page the pics are attached to.
Thanks I'll try the folder.  I have upload and download limits from my ISP so have to watch sizes. It's nice to zoom in sometimes but not always.

94touring

94touring

94touring

Alright now that I'm home I got to mess with this some more.  I usually resize my photos beforehand but in the event you don't, I found that doing a single upload didn't work on large files.  However using the mass upload feature on single large files (or numerous) does work.  It then resizes them down to fit the screen.  After you create you album and click on the photos you want to attach to a post, you'll just need to click on details and then copy "direct link", then paste ect... 

tsumini

Ok thanks for your effort. I'll have to find some time shortly to study this.