1979 automatic

Started by 94touring, July 29, 2013, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Seat covers are being put together.   This is the pattern we're going with.   I used this same guy to make my last set and was very pleased with the outcome.   

94touring

One shipment of aftermarket parts and a few other needed items showed up today.  Many more to come. 

94touring

Got a big invoice today for a number of parts coming from Leacy.  There are a handful of items they are out of stock on, trying to resolve that.  Still waiting on parts from Minisport as well.  Only thing I've gotten so far has been the order from Minispares. 

94touring

The interior and suspension showed up.  Minisport still hasn't sent the headliner and other parts however. 

Ok the seats are done.  They turned out fantastic!  I want to do mine these look so nice.  I did order an extra set for myself luckily.  I tore the rear subframe apart also and had time to do rear bearings.  The old ones had ball bearings on one side and roller bearings on the other.  One side was also seized.  I was hoping to reuse some brake components but I think I'm just going to order whole new assemblies.  Tomorrow I plan to clean up things, paint, and put back together on the new subby.  Felt like I got a lot done today on this car!

MtyMous

The new interior looks good.

Stormymonk

That's going to look really nice.  Getting excited!

94touring

The salvageable rear end components are being cleaned for paint, and another shipment of parts arrived.  Here is the bling. 

Mudhen

I'm liking this car more and more with each picture.   71.gif

sparetimetoys

That's some nice bling
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

Headliner in, I need to trim it.  Tomorrow I will start on glass. 

94touring

Front and rear windshields in.  The front was a pain, the rear was easy.  I have the wrong seals for the side windows, so will have to come back to those. 

94touring

Got the parts in the rear cleaned up and painted/cleared.  One of the trunions required drilling out of a stud that was stuck inside the thing.  Otherwise went well.  The shop is overflowing with cabinets again, but hoping to get room in there tomorrow to start building the rear subby. 

Mudhen

Nice.  Are you going to do new bushings?  Been wondering about that...if it's something you just do new of, or only if needed...

MtyMous

What did you use to paint the trailing arms?

94touring

Oh yes all new bushings!

Same paint that's on your roof Cameron.  I have plenty of black around the shop and I spray a slightly lower grade clear so it's not costing me a small fortune.

MtyMous

Hmmm. Might have to get something going in my garage. I've been debating painting my subframes or just paying to powdercoat. But the whole point of my build was to do as much as I can myself. Obviously I can't paint like a pro like you, but I can definitely paint suspension parts.

Any worry that the paint will chip easier off the arms?

94touring

A quart of Dupont Nason epoxy primer with activator, quart of Nason black with reducer and quart of Nason clear and activator would go a very long ways.  It's still quality enough some people paint the exterior of the car with it, I typically do undersides and floors with their clear.   It's essentially the same as the top teir dupont paint just a notch lower at half the cost.  It adheres the same as any other quality paint.   I've always been very satisfied with it. 

Mudhen

You guys ever use POR?  I've never done powder coat but I would think it's close...

94touring

sparetimetoys

We have some expired teflon paint Im thinking of painting the underside of the car with this.  I have used it on the hull of my brother in laws ski doo and after three years of running it up on the beach there is not a scratch on it.  Only thing is its Boeing wing grey ::) 8.gif
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

Well I have about half the rear subby done.  I ran into an issue with the one rear radius arm.  The bearing came apart as I cleaned out the inside some more to grease it before assembly....so I'm having to order a new radius kit.  I figure I'll order some new brake lines rather than make them myself while I'm at it. (edit new brakes lines not available so never mind)  I did happen to find new rear brake assemblies on my shelf.  Started digging through boxes to figure out where to start.  I put on brand new headlights, rubber seals, and turn signals. 

94touring

Rear quarter windows are in and what a pita they were.   I've always done hinged style which take two minutes.  I finally did the string trick and got them in.  Also required lube to squeeze the new rubber in the frames.  Also have the engine loose and ready to dig into the front subby.

Mudhen

When I was disassembling my old rear subby it took me awhile to dig out the 'pin' that goes behind the rubber cone - is that thing even necessary?

Probably not describing the part correctly - but in your pic, on the unfinished side, you see the hole under where the rubber cone goes...don't recall seeing it for sale on any parts sites - thinking maybe just unnecessary...

94touring

Not familiar with any pins.  8.gif

94touring

Still waiting on the swivel arm bearing kit.  However got the rest of the front suspension off the engine and tore into it.  We have new bearings, new cross drilled rotors, pads, hoses, and new ball joints.  Had to dig through some of my piles of extras to steal a few things that were missing off this car.