85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Looks like I have a buyer for Twitchels car Flur.  Plans are to do the full restore and paint it tahiti blue, white roof and stripes.  I just bought a ton of new parts for the car I know I need or want, and have a few new items to add to the list for the buyer.  Converting it to lhd and throwingin a new dash.  Magnum is still putting together my big panel purchase which has the panels I need for the car.  Meanwhile I have a shipping company that's going to ship it from Florida to my shop in Tulsa.  Just in time as the Mexico blue mini makes its departure back to Dallas.

Here we go..

wevebeenhad

I say you maintain the union jack side panel.... just my worthless opinion! haha

94touring

Its made from duct tape lol.  There is barely a panel behind it.

wevebeenhad

Im not being serious. Though that would look good on a car, if it was painted..... OR hell just put some fiberglass resin on it and call it a panel.

But i know your better than that.

Davisio

Looks like there's plenty of potential there. Definitely think blue is the right choice. And, the walnut dash is a nice touch.   ;)

94touring

Hoping it gets here soon so I can start ripping it apart.   I just ordered tons of sandpaper for this car and many more. 

Nicholasupton

Have yo sourced the LHD pedal conversion for the brakes. The late models use a cross bar configuration to keep the MC and servo in the same spot.

94touring

No I've been browsing a little though.  Have any extras laying around or pics of the assembly?

Nicholasupton

Here is a reproduction unit that used to be made. The only ones I have are for projects and not willing to let go. I will say that I paid a pretty penny to get the last one. The seem fairly rare as they were only used on LHD cars and not that many are being parted out.

Mudhen

I was considering it for mine since I'm not sure how comfortable I'm going to be yanking the e-brake all the time with my left arm.  Had no idea it wasn't a simple swap of the steering rack and maybe just picking up the other regular pedal box - what makes it so hard?  Wouldn't you just move the brake/clutch stuff to the other side?

94touring

I kind of figured it was some hard to find expensive part.  I'm probably going to simplify and ditch the booster and use a different master on the left side.

MPlayle

Mudhen,

On the earlier Minis that did not have any brake booster (or used the "remote" booster), it is easier because the brake master does get moved over.  The later Minis used an integrated master/booster and the only place it would fit is on the right, above the clutch cover.  Thus the requirement of the cross-over bar.

94touring

I'm soon to have two master/booster setups for sale if anyone needs one. 

Davisio

I never realized how bad the wait was going to kill me and it's only been a week!

I shall transfer my energy to firewood for next winter, the wood shed construction, and the parties surrounding Memorial Day in Indy. I mean, I have to! :D

I've never been known for my patience.

(totally not pressuring. Really. I just finally told my wife what I actually spent the money on and she wanted to "see it". She's actually happy. lol. I suppose I'll find out what it really "costs" later.)

94touring

Haha.  Well updates for the day are the shippers called and said they haven't forgot, but there hasn't been a truck available.  I wired a bunch of money to magnum for the big panel purchase for the store and this car.  Next week we still clean the shop and I will be putting up a new paint booth at some point.  There should also be a bunch of parts from gb carparts for this car, sandpaper (mudhen gets his shipped too), and carpet and other things on the way from minisport.  So lots is happening behind the scenes!

94touring

Car gets picked up Monday, delivered Wednesday.  I'm still ordering parts for it. 

Twichel04

Well Flur was picked up today. I took her for one last drive before we loaded her up. The guy picking it up wanted to keep it for himself, haha. I am very very sad to see her go, but I a very glad to know that she will be getting a full resto WAY sooner then I would have been able to, and in the same color combo that I would have done. I will be watching intently.

And yes, the Union Jack was made of Duct tape, I was just tired of looking at that rusty A panel, haha.

Anyway, cue the nostalgic bon voyage pictures-

94touring

Thanks for watching over the car for the past month or more.  I opened up several boxes that were shipped while I was out of town.  Reupholstering the dashes doesn't look like its going to be easy.  I bought kits to do them, the material is high quality and has a nice stitch, but I have a feeling its going to be tricky. 

Mudhen

Quote from: Twichel04 on April 15, 2013, 06:10:33 PM
Well Flur was picked up today. I took her for one last drive before we loaded her up. The guy picking it up wanted to keep it for himself, haha. I am very very sad to see her go, but I a very glad to know that she will be getting a full resto WAY sooner then I would have been able to, and in the same color combo that I would have done. I will be watching intently.

And yes, the Union Jack was made of Duct tape, I was just tired of looking at that rusty A panel, haha.

Anyway, cue the nostalgic bon voyage pictures-

:(

Hope you stick around, T...at the very least just to get yourself ready for  your NEXT one!!   4.gif

Twichel04

I definitely will be getting another one some day, but right now, I am working on opening my own shop, so a future Flur2.0 will have to be on the back burner. But after that, I want to buy a shell and just start from scratch!

94touring

One leaving the shop, next one pulling in.   71.gif   

In other news, my customs broker has gone misssing, so the panels are still in the UK.  Aggrevating to say the least.  I have to find a new one tomorrow morning apparantly.  Back in a couple weeks to tear this thing apart.  More pics later...

94touring

This is where the fun will be.  Another rear end makeover. 

Floors are solid, this is the worst spot.

Twichel04

Glad to see that she made it safely, and in good time too.