Daily Driver/ Slow Resto project

Started by Twichel04, January 17, 2013, 09:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twichel04

Can anyone tell me an idea of a normal operating temp for a 1275 mini on a warm day while sitting at idle?

MPlayle

It somewhat depends on the thermostat installed.  The typical range that seems accepted ranges from 190 to 215 degrees F when in stop & go traffic with a 185-190 degree thermostat installed.

Some folks put in a 160 degree thermostat for summer driving and a 195 for winter.

Twichel04

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I got the new radiator and hoses installed today. I didn't change the t-stat, but only because it felt like one of the bolts was going to break off, so I decided that it was probably best to leave it. I am assuming that it is a 190 t-stat. According to my inferred thermometer, that's about when the coolant started flowing. After idling for about a half hour, it did climb up to 214, but never any higher. This was on a hot day in Florida with the regular plastic fan, not the tropical one. The very instant any small amount of throttle was given, the temp dropped down to 190-195. 

So I think I am ok, but I will be replacing the factory electric fan (because it doesn't work) with a new full time fan.

MPlayle

The factory electric fan is a supplemental fan.  It is on a relay and the activation switch is usually located in the bottom front corner.  There should be small two-wire cable down near that corner.  Connect the two wires together to test the fan itself.

I think the relay is up near the firewall behind the radiator cap.

Twichel04

The temp switch and the relay are both good, but the fan is toast. My new radiator does not have a place for the temp switch,  which I knew when I bought it. I was just planning on permanently connecting it so that the fan would be a full time. But, since I need a new one anyway, I am going to get one that can put out a little more cfm. I need all the cooling that I can get here in Florida.

MPlayle

You are limited in options for what will fit in the fender.  I added an auxiliary electric fan to my 1961 Mini.  Below is the one I ordered.  It has the highest cfm for a 10" fan - which is the largest that really fits in the fender where the later factory electric fan is located.  I wired it in with an aftermarket temp sensor and relay kit.  You can also wire it on a manual switch.  You won't need it on all the time, just as a supplement in slow, heavy traffic.  (I live in south Texas.)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/67010/10002/-1

Twichel04

thanks for the link. I was just trying to figure out what size fan I can use. Though I did find one that claims to put out 1500 cfm. I plan on using the factory wiring and relay for the fan. I will be making it full time though because I am paranoid and would rather be safe than sorry, haha. I know it's over kill, but it always makes me feel better to have a full timer.

MPlayle

I found plenty that had greater cfm ratings.  They were all too big to fit in the Mini's fender well.

Most of the other 10" fans I found were all in the 650 to 850 cfm range.  I did not think those would move enough air.  Then I found the one I linked.  The little I got to use it before the transmission acted up showed it a good choice.  In stop-n-go traffic, the car's temperature would begin to rise toward 210 at the stop lights.  Then the fan would kick on and quickly drop it to 195 to 200 while still idling at the light.

I also wired mine (per the relay kit's instructions) to be able to cycle after turning the car off.

Twichel04

New exhaust arrived today! Well not new, it's used, but used very little. I'm still not sure how it will sound, it's just an RC40 resonator (front box only) set up with a center exit. I couldn't pass it up for the price. If I don't like the sound, back up on ebay it will go.

Willie_B

When I had a system just like that and it got too loud I added the second muffler and made it side exit. I am still using that system. Cheaper than starting all over again.

Twichel04

Good point. That's probably what I will do if it's too loud. I like side exits better anyway, but this was only $31 so I jumped on it.

Twichel04

No real update here, just did a bit of tinkering today. I finished up all the little things, and she is officially back together and ready for the road!!!!   ;D  I ordered a 10'' fan that claims to be 1500 cfm, but I think it's really 1000 cfm... which is fine by me. I was going to install it today, but I didn't realise that I needed to take the radiator back out again just to remove the original electric fan, so that will have to wait. That's alright though, because it's running at an ok temp, and most of my driving will be at night.

Oh and I finally put some carpet in! It's actually carpet for a LHD, but it was only $25. And what a difference it made!

It's not the right color, but I can re dye it later. I am also glad that I took the time to straighten out and fix the grille, I think it made a big difference in the appearance.

I think I need to paint my boot lid though....and get a bumper.... looks a little rough back there

AND.....The best news of all.....The IRS finally approved my tax return and will be depositing my money into my account on Monday morning!!!!!!!!!!!! So the count down commences... 4 DAYS TILL FLUR!!!!!

Twichel04

Flur finally came home!

I towed her home just because it's a Saturday and I couldnt go to the tag office to register her, and I didn't want to risk getting stopped.

Finally got some time to clean her too. The roof after a light hand wax-

94touring

Twichel04

Well I have been experiencing my first genuine frustration with Mini ownership this past week. It just seems like one thing after another. First it wasn't charging the battery, this was frustrating, but a simple fix...the belt was loose.... But then I started having a problem with cold starts. It felt like it would only run on 1 or 2 cyls when starting until I would feather the throttle for a bit then it would come to life. On Friday night, it was really bad, and while trying to get it to run, the throttle cable broke!  50.gif  After fixing the cable, in the middle of the night on the side of the road, I tried to start it again. It was still struggling, but I had the air box off from fixing the cable and this time I heard it back fire out of the intake.....so timing issue....which is controlled by the ECU, which reads from the crank position sensor.... a couple of taps with a socket and she fired right up! YAY!  4.gif

Cut to the next day- She started up great in the morning and ran perfect on the way to work. Afterwards, I noticed a little bit of jerking/hesitation under heavy throttle. I took the CPS out and cleaned it...no change.... The next day (yesterday) I took her for a drive and when I got to 3rd and 4th the whole car was jumping/jerking/bucking and felt like it was about to fall apart!

After cleaning the CPS again, and checking connections with no change, I made my way to the throttle position sensor. Just as a little test, I unplugged it and took it for a drive.....and it did great.... still had a little hesitation if I got on it too hard from idle, but it was drivable.

So it looks like I need a TPS.....which, as it turns out, is almost impossible to find in the states. Anybody have one!? haha.

Remind me again why I wanted an injected mini?  11.gif  I do understand now one reason why people like to put Honda drivetrains in these things!

Ok, rant over. Any advice from you Mini gurus will be very much appreciated!

MPlayle

If it is a SPI (Single Point Injection) characterized by still having a side mounted radiator, it can readily be converted to a carb setup.

Twichel04

Yeah, I have been considering that too....

Twichel04

Well guys.... I am sad to say, that due to an unforeseen financial situation, and the fact that the Mini has been giving me some issues.... and I can't afford to put any money into it at all for a while.... She is, unfortunately, up for sale......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cooper-/130863273356?_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true

94touring

Oh man, I was hoping for another update.  That was an abrupt change, sorry to hear.  What's the buy it now price if you don't mind my asking?

wevebeenhad

NOOOOOOO i feel your pain! Im scrambling for a contract job so I dont have to ditch my mini. Currently for sale for WAYYYYYYY  more than i expect to actually get.
DAN! buy it now! great start and i really wanted to see her all fixed up.

wevebeenhad

Not that you dont have a pickup to fix up or anything.  ;D But im sure you can sell it to BATMAN or trade for a truck or something!

Mudhen

Wait, I thought I was the only one needing to sell off projects due to financial issues.  If I'd have put bigger wheels and a trailer hitch on my rotisserie it would already be gone...   :o

Really sorry to hear it.  Hope things turn around fast and you're back here soon with another project!!

Pat

94touring