Joltfreak's monster mini build.

Started by joltfreak, January 13, 2012, 05:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joltfreak

after talking to some of the enigne experts, i decided not to use the 327 block that i currently have......

I not have a 350 block which i will be using for the build!!!! the inital "desktop dyno" figures that me current build plan would produce 397hp and 470 ft/lbs of torque......
i just need to get back home to build it  :-[
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

joltfreak

Well it's been awhile now since I've posted any updates..... the motor is finally done and back home again

Had to shorten the timing tab to allow for the belt to wrap around the modified damper.

Got the motor in and bolted up tight, the exhaust is back on. Even bought a battery and put it in. The carb rebuild kit came in and a buddy of mine (who is a Holley master) is going help rebuild it.

I also ordered a different remote oil filter relocation kit. The one the is currently on the mini has an alloy housing which has a reusable filter in it. I'm sure it will do the job fine but I would rather have a regular spin on filter on it for simplicity sake.

94touring

joltfreak

Thanks!!
Had the inital power figures for the motor.....397hp and 470 ft/lbs of torque!! ;D

I need to finish off a little bit of plumbing, rebuild the carb, fill up all the fluids and fire it up!!!
if it goes as planned, i should have it ready to run by the end of next weekend!

joltfreak

It's alive !!!!!!!!
more details to come with pics

94touring

joltfreak

Here is a pic of the news spin-on oil filter adapter mounted in its place:

The cool thing is that both minis use the same oil filter!

I took it out for a test run around the block.... It is a beast!!
Will need to pull the rad out since there is a small leak. more to come..

94touring

Need some videos or something!  I may have to fly up and take a ride or something lol. 

joltfreak

well been busy getting my garage cleaned up so that i could fit both minis in there for winter storage. had the V8 mini out a couple times (it scary fast!!!!) to break the motor in........having some cooling issues tho. the current inline water pump seems to not be able to "keep up" with the cooling for long and the impeller in the pump seems to wear out very fast......got a new electric water pump ordered, this one will be fitted on the motor where the stock pump would be... i'm also running a larger diameter hose to up the flow as well....more to come!

94touring

joltfreak

a heavy duty 4 core rad out of a 70's GM fullsize.....just had it re-cored by my buddy who builds custom rads for racing/towing and he did all my rads in the past. when running, the rad is fine and the current inline pump (it is a marine pump) does ok with a new impeller on it but it will not last as long as i would like (it may last a season). with this new pump it will solve it for good. and it will be much more reliable.

joltfreak

picked up the water pump and mounted it on the motor.....it was a real tight fit!

I have been having problems finding a insurance company that would insure it..the company that i've been using with my green mini is covering it until the end of the month....i been told that it is too modified for modified classic car insurance!!!!

this is really bothering me......50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif

94touring

Is that a Canadian thing with the insurance?  Surely someone will insure a modified car. 

joltfreak

I'm sure i'll find someone that will insure it.....i just dont want to give up my first born to do it. :-[

joltfreak

Well it been a while since I've updated this thread. I finally was able to get it insured 4.gif 4.gif 4.gif 4.gif 4.gif.  Got to put some miles on it. still had some heating issues.  It was running lean. I swapped out carb for a bigger one and played with the timing a bit.

Finally got it to run really well and the tranny was going.....i pulled it last week and had a buddy build a fresh one that will cope with the power.....will post some pics shortly

joltfreak

Well, it has been a while since I've posted an update.....
Found out that the torque converter blew apart....so I a buddy that specialized in building converters for racing build one to handle the power. Got it put back together again.

Had a nice day and took it out for a test run. It wouldn't get out of first gear!!

94touring

I'm sure it was fast in 1st gear though :)

joltfreak

Been a long time since i updated this build.........
well i've had the monster out for a bit and was able to do some hot laps with it at Mosport raceway during MMN this year!!!
it really drives differently from my other mini...but i was able to overtake a Ferrari 360 on the front straight!!!! (the look of the guys face when i passed him was priceless).....Then i broke the tranny again  :-[ :-[ :-[ the tranny that i had in it was a stock rebuilt one and couldnt cope with the power from the motor. i will be getting a purpose bulit "race" tranny for it and swap it over the winter.
it been stitting in my brothers garage for last couple months as i'm re-buliding a 1924 dodge hot rod for my brother in my garage. once completed, i will be able to work on my minis again!!