I have some old pics you may enjoy..

Started by Jims5543, September 26, 2011, 05:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

I was over my moms house over the weekend and on the table was a scrap book from me uncle.  I may or may not have mentioned, my Grandfather, after being a mechanic in the 9th Infantry under Patton went on to eventually own a British Auto repair shop in Manhattan.

I am in the process of scanning in some of the photos from the late 60's early 70's and on some of the photo's there are shots of his shops parts truck. A old Morris Minor delivery van. There are some shots of the shop itself and in it is a bevy of Mini's and MG's.

I hope to start sharing some pics over the next day or two.

Stay tuned.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Hey buddy!  Sounds cool can't wait to see what you got. 

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Some customer cars he drove home from time to time:

I forget what car this is now.

Probably one of the larger factors in starting my car addiction, this was my uncles go kart, I would sit in this thing every chance I got, even sitting still I remember sitting in it and pretending I was racing.

My Father and I in it. In the background was where my uncle, at the age of 14 started servicing neighborhood cars, eventually going on to a long career as a mechanic.

Myself in front of my grandfathers car, he only drove American cars. Loved servicing the imports though. :D

94touring

Now I know where you got the car bug from!

MiniGene

Those pictures are really neat.  Is the shop still there?

Jims5543

I am just getting started. ;)  I have not shown my grandfathers cars, my uncles cars or my dads cars over the years.

My uncle went on to own a Getty Station in Mineola New York, sold it burnt out from the business owner thing, and went on to be a service manager with a chain of dealerships in South Florida, he is retired now as well.

Regarding by grandfathers shop. In 1975 he decided it was time to retire, he felt the Japanese car trend was going to take off and make the British cars obsolete. He told his partner Larry Mahoney, that he wanted out and why.

Larry laughed at him and told him no one would forget Pearl Harbor and the Japanese cars would never take off..............

My grandfather had a hell of a reputation in the business and it was important to Larry that the Adams name remained on the sign and on the business. So my grandfather sold the rights to the name along with an undisclosed settlement and pay out plan.

Lets just say he was very successful when he ran the place and did very well for years after he retired, he was fairly young too.

The place closed down in the early 80's if I remember correctly, business went down hill steadily as my grandfather predicted.

My son is going to help me clean up some of those scanned photos with him limited photoshop skills, which are more than mine. I am going to re-scan some as well that got cut off. It is hard to scan them because the pictures are pasted in a scrap book.  I just threw these up real quick to share.

Next time I am at moms house I am raiding her pictures to find some of dads old Mustangs and Harley. He had a 55 K-frame that was all costumed out before it was a fad. 

94touring

Any luck getting the other photos scanned?