SportPack arch mounting studs

Started by Red Riley, July 27, 2026, 06:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Red Riley

Does anyone happen to have any spares laying around that you can part with? I've got one that's cross threaded and I can't fix it. Actually, I haven't gotten the last arch off yet, so I'm assuming I only need one. I for sure don't need a whole set, or want to deal with the transatlantic tariff BS.
If you could take a look in your parts bin or scrounge around in the bottom of your tool bag, that would be super helpful.
Thanks.

Dan Moffet

I've never sen the fixings for a Sportspack arch but it appears to me that the stud in the first picture is supposed to be permanently (?) set into the hole in the second image.

Would it be feasible to find  matching-sized bolt and epoxy or JB Weld it into the hole, grinding down the head and/or routing out the hole to fit?
"Hang on a minute lads....I've got a great idea."

Red Riley

#2
I'm sure that could be done, but I don't think it would have enough grip to stay put. The way these are designed, the screw threads turn into the arch as the nut is tightened down on the bolt threads. Just like double ended hanger bolts used on table legs. I don't think they were meant to be permanently glued in. The ones on mine are all like this and can be removed. I think there were more than one type of mounting studs used over the years, but these ones seem well designed for this purpose. I have managed to grind the cross threaded end off of the worst one, and then moved it to a position where it had just enough length left to engage the remaining threads through the fender.  I also figured out what caused the cross threading in the first place. Whoever put them on last jammed on a couple of 10-32 nuts instead of the correct M5-.8 ones. That will work for about the first two or three threads, then you're cross threading.

MiniDave

#3
Who sells those? I need a whole set and the ones I bought from MiniSpares were not made like these at all, they looked like a plain double ended #10 stud. Of course they don't thread into the plastic arches

https://www.minispares.com/zua000250-sportspack-wheel-arch-fixing-stud

Oops, found them! spendy tho......

https://www.minispares.com/klmp4402-sports-pack-arch-fixing-stud-original-type
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2006 MINI Cooper S
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers

Red Riley

Yeah, 5.25 pounds, EACH! YOWZA!
Jeremy at Jet Motors said they were getting some in stock when I asked about them in August. You might try giving him a call.
I managed to cut off the damaged ends on mine and save enough good threads to get them on, by some juggling of positions on the arches. Seems like these type are on the earlier years of the Sports pack cars. I suspect that some or most people don't realize that they can be removed and reused. They probably end up in the bin with the broken arches.

94touring

What are the dimensions?

Match something like this?

Red Riley

#6
Camera tripod adapter. Interesting. Still pricey, and don't seem to be available in the US. the only difference I can see is that the screw threads are standard 1/4-20, and the ones on the OEM studs are a cutting type screw thread. Also, the unthreaded part of the shank might be a bit too long, which would need a spacer behind the body panel to keep from bottoming out the fixing nut.
Any machinists out there? We just need to find someone interested in making a few of these things just for fun.

94touring

There's some different variations and under $2 per stud/bolt thingy I've found so far.  $1.20 each for some.  Free shipping over $10. I have a lathe if anything needs turned down a bit.  If I get a moment I can try to retrieve one of the remainder studs stuck on my pickup shell that Dave took the flares from.  I don't mind buying a batch of the things in any upcoming orders and shipping them around in an envelope to people who need them. Assuming what I'm finding works.  5 bucks a pop plus fees and shipping from Spares and you'd be into a 20 piece set for damn near $200. 

MiniDave

The ones still in the fender just had paint on the threads, so a pair of vice grips on that flange and you should be able to get the nut off. Then a good clean up on the bench grinder wire brush should make them serviceable. If I recover all of those I only need a few for the right rear, it was missing some. I was planning to come down with Zac, so you don't need to bother with them if you're busy.

 I'll go see if I think 1/4" will work on the rubber side....

Edit: yes, it looks like 1/4" screw thread on the rubber side will work, 5mm on the nut side should be right.

I only need 2 for the other arch if I recover the ones in the fenders, if not I'll need a dozen.
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2006 MINI Cooper S
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers

94touring

These are stuck on good. But the calipers say what I found work.  I'll make an order.