Mini East Meets West 2024 Spearfish, South Dakota July 8-12 2024

Started by Whee, September 24, 2023, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Went to it the last time I was in this area - fun!

My blue Clubman S on the end....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A few other fun things to see and do while in this area.....

If you look closely at the pic of the tower, on the right side you can just make out the remains of the light brown wooden ladder that people used to be allowed to climb to go to the top. At the museum there are pics of women in bustles and high top button up shoes on top of the tower, pics from the late 1800's is my guess. Also, if you look closely further up - about 3/4 or more to the top on the side near the ladder, you can see a white spec. that is a climber - you can get permission to climb the tower but you have to apply well in advance as they only let a limited number do it each season. I would love to go to the top, but no freakin way I'm climbing it - even with a ladder!

A group of about 10 of us went to Devil's Tower that day, as we were getting ready to leave a group of Mustangs came roaring in - there's a very limited number of parking spots around the museum lot- one of the women got out and yelled to the rest of the group "it's OK! The little cars are leaving!  :-)

If a group of classics go, we can park them two to a spot, nose to tail.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I managed to get registered and made reservations at the host hotel.  It looks like I will be going solo - Bruce is not going and Craig does not have the time available.

MiniDave

Glad to hear you're going, but it's early days yet.....there may be someone from one of the local clubs you can roll with.....

What days are you going to be there? Looks like nothing really going on till Tuesday......I was thinking of getting there a day early and taking some short side trips, after driving for two days to get there I won't want to spend the next day in the car too!

Devil's Tower is just over an hour away, Deadwood is close by and you can get out and walk the street and see all the old historical stuff. Of course, Rushmore is right there too - it's super impressive if you've never seen it before.....and the Crazy Horse monument.

Edit: Looking at the schedule, it looks like there is a lot of free time (for me anyway) in the early part of the event......Monday is meet and greet, Tues the car show but that's over by early afternoon then the rest of the day is open. Wed is the autocross which I'm not going to run so other than watching, that day is open too. Thursday looks to be a full day, and Friday we head out home.......so I'm thinking I might arrive Monday night, leave Friday.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad