1275 Engine ID help

Started by knowell, October 26, 2023, 09:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowell

Need to know if this engine is an A or A+. hoping to mate this with my existing gearbox

current engine info.. would like to use my existing gearbox
Metro  Engine type & CC :  A+ 998 cc Transverse mounted  Fueling :    Engine features :  1st Alternative compression ratio Gearbox features :  Std. Ratio Rod Change gearbox with Pot Joints

3.65:1 Final Drive

MPlayle

That appears to be an 'A' block based on the position of the two vertical bolt holes right next to the freeze plug just to the radiator side of the distributor.  Those are the mounting points for the clutch end of the generator or held a long-necked bracket for the end of an alternator.  The 'A+' engines had those bolt holes moved closer to the radiator end for a smaller necked bracket for alternators only.

There are adaptor bearings for putting 'A+' blocks on earlier transmissions and vise-versa.  Getting the right ones depends on what flywheel housing you use.  The housing has to match the input bearing size on the transmission first, then you can get the right intermediary drop gear for the case and the appropriate bear for the housing.  It takes determining what you have for which parts to use.

I have experience with such a mix-n-match going from an 'A+' block to an early transmission.

Unless you are building this engine/transmission combo for autocrossing, I would also recommend changing the final drive as well.  A 3.65 final drive will mean doing 63mph at 4K rpm in 4th gear - a bit screaming for road driving.  Consider a 3.2 or even a 3.1 if intended as more a road car.

knowell

Thank you for the detailed info, I just wanted to know before purchasing what im dealing with. Ill have to wait until I remove my existing engine to verify what I have and mix and match.