Old Mini Adverts

Started by BruceK, September 11, 2017, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Or... get a Clubman and you get 2 extra doors!!! 

:grin:

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Not a Mini advertisement, but a (publicity?) photo showing how to rig up a temporary cooling solution on a rally Mini. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 10, 2023, 08:48:20 AMNot a Mini advertisement, but a (publicity?) photo showing how to rig up a temporary cooling solution on a rally Mini.

That's one way to do it!

cstudep

Step 1 remove light. Step 2 add radiator and some hoses. Step 3 finish the race.....Nice!

MiniDave

I never understood why people (who aren't driving their cars in a rallye) fill their entire grill with lights, seems like that would really restrict the cooling.

It also makes sense to me that if you're going to rallye, you need A), more cooling air thru the grille, not less and  B) the lights should be up on the front edge of the bonnet or on the roof. I seriously doubt they'd be a disadvantage aerodynamically, given the brick like shape of the car.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Like this?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

My sportpack came with factory rally lights. They worked very well at night I remember.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on August 14, 2023, 04:37:49 PMLike this?

Rallying change the rules around additional lights.  At some point in the 80s (would be my guess) the additional lights had to be in a removable pod to meet the body homologation rules.  And there is rules about when they can be installed, I vaguely remember it is linked to the start time of the stage relative to sunrise/sunset times. 

Here is a print of a Mini at the Monte Carlo rally in 1994 with the light pod installed.

BruceK

A Mini ad introducing the Clubman as an entirely new range of Minis.

The ad points out that the regular shape Mini remains available and now has roll up windows. No mention of the hidden door hinges that also arrived on the new Mk III Minis! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

FYI. The rally Mini shown just above is GRX 5D with Paddy Hopkirk (RIP) driving in Canada's 1968 Shell 4000 rally. It was disqualified because of the external rad installed to cure over heating. I refer to the website starchak.ca for a history of the Shell 4000 Rally. You'll find it in the index page close to the bottom just below Competition History. BTW the picture in Competition History tab is my former 67 Austin Cooper S.

BruceK

I guess things happen pretty fast in a Mini Moke - so fast that the backseat passengers get all blurred out?  :)

Anyway, this is a 1970s ad for an Oz Moke Californian.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Assuming this crazy "mod" painted Mini survived from the 1960s into the 1970s when it definitely became out of fashion then, what do you think happened to it? Did it get repainted or did it stand out like yesterday's news?

It would be really crazy if it was still around now in this paint scheme.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I can only imagine how long it took to paint that.

MiniDave

Me too, especially if the stripes are different colours!

Funny that the "California" Moke is right hand drive....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The "Californian" Moke was a trim package on the Australian Mokes, thus the RHD.

BruceK

So the Californian Moke - never to be sold in California – it's somewhat like the Buick Riviera – never to be sold along the Riviera.  :grin:
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

This one is for sale. Another hard paint job.