94touring

I'm here standing by.

94touring

Pic from today

Scargo

I'll need another lesson.

94touring

Quote from: Scargo on May 15, 2023, 06:47:21 PMImg 7944

Lol almost but try again.  Looks like you're trying to link a photo.

94touring

Preview, attachments, add files, upload, and once green upload completed, post.

94touring

Small video clip

MiniDave

As Dan's video shows, we had a great time yesterday.....we started off on a route I had "planned", but along the way Dean pointed out the overlook over the grand canyon - when we got there all we could see were clouds, but the lady at the gift shop gave us a map and told us about the road down thru the canyon, so we took that - and what a great road it was! Beautiful scenery, no traffic, smooth roads and nothing but twists and turns and hills - fantastic!

Once we hit the main road again Dan was leading and took us up a different road that also turned out to be terrific and led us back to our hotel/headquarters about noon - just as WillieB was unloading his car - perfect timing!

After lunch we headed out for our afternoon run where I promptly led up onto the wrong road and 20 miles out of the way- no matter, Dan found us an alternative and it was terrific - smooth, winding thru the hills - we wound up at the Peel ferry. While waiting for it to come back across the lake Don unleashed his drone and got some great shots - Dean's Pups took exception to the drone and barked and jumped at it!

We took the ferry across the lake (Bull Shoals) and had intended to hit a bar on the other side but it was closed, on the way back to the ferry Scargo's shifter came apart, but between us all we figured out it had just come loose and Don had enough tools with him to put it back together and get us all home - coming up off the ferry a truck kicked up a rock and broke Deans windshield, so that was the Mini carnage for the day.

On the way home it started to rain, we got in about 6:30 so that was the end of the day for me - I was sunburned, hot, sweaty and needed a shower, so I crashed for the evening.

Today I'm not sure which roads we're going to take, but I doubt it will matter as they're all terrific around here!

More as it happens

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

MiniDave

I didn't take a lot of pics today, but this one shows that the weather cleared up a bit today.

Al and Dean decided to head home today, so they drove back to Harrison from our noon stop in Dover and we went on, only to run into them at a Shell station well east of Harrison in Marshall a few hours later on their way out of town! Pure happenstance!

We had a long day on the road today, I think WillieB said 225 or 250 miles! Tons of cool roads and only a couple of traffic incidences - one where we got behind 6 cars who were behind a very slow moving Toyota Tacoma - as is 25 in a 55 - who absolutely would not pull over. Finally after about 15 miles of this he took a fork in the road and we went on. The other was when traffic stopped as they were cleaning up after a truck that had lost part of its load of lumber. That one was mercifully short - only about 15 min or less.

Tomorrow were going to the grand canyon, that run will take us till the noon hour, then Dan and WillieB are going to load up and hit the road for home, leaving me, Don and Michael. We'll all hit the roads on Thursday morning to end our trip.

This has been a terrific fun trip, I hope we can do it again and bring even more of our Restoration Mini brothers (and sisters) along with us!

Thanks to all who made this memorable trip happen!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Thanks Dave, for putting it all together. I have been very much enjoying our entire time out here, both time behind the wheel as well as the out of car activities and socializing. It was a pleasure meeting Dan and Michael for the first time.

cstudep

Looks like an absolute blast, and those roads look fantastic! I need to get my ass in gear and get my car in better running shape for the next one.

Willie_B

It hasbeen fun. Great smooth roads and little traffic. Meeting Al and Dean. All good company.

94touring

One casualty for the week. My bonnet blew off.

Scargo

Oh man, that stinks!

Were you driving it or towing at the time?

MPlayle

He was driving it!  It happened as we were starting out for the morning drive today.

94touring

Quote from: Scargo on May 17, 2023, 04:46:15 PMOh man, that stinks!

Were you driving it or towing at the time?

Yeah forgot to latch it down after detaching from the bus when I brought it over. Hit 40mph and it began to lift, hit brakes and it launched it forward onto the road. Almost ran over it. Kind of hit it with the front right as I swerved to avoid it. Surprisingly no major damage to it other than deep scratches.

Scargo

Luckily you know a good body and paint guy.

94touring

Quote from: Scargo on May 17, 2023, 06:21:46 PMLuckily you know a good body and paint guy.

And he still has leftover paint as luck would have it. I went ahead and ordered 2 new blue push buttons off flebay since these got scraped up pretty bad. One of the latches broke, although the clip part was found and I could repair. Since I also lost a wiper arm later in the day in the rain, I just tossed in some new latches with new arms and blades. 

Hopefully everyone's departure and drives home go without issues. 

cstudep

Dang that sucks, but at least you can fix it easily enough.

Detachable bonnets seems to be a thing for you LOL.  :grin:

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on May 18, 2023, 09:23:24 AMDang that sucks, but at least you can fix it easily enough.

Detachable bonnets seems to be a thing for you LOL.  :grin:

Ah yeah.  Like when yours went flying on I-75 lol

MiniDave

Well, I hope everyone made it home safe and sound.....I dropped my RG off at Dan's then headed home and just got in. Had a couple of major detours to get thru, but other than that and some crazy Okla"homie" trying to kill me with his Honda, my trip was relatively crash free.

Dan will be up tomorrow with the hot rod and we'll go over to Brant's to load his shell for paint before Dan treks back south again.

This was a super fun week, I really enjoyed seeing everyone and I think the whole event went off well. Roads were great, traffic was light, weather was mostly OK other than a little light rain - nice!

Thanks to everyone who came and ran with us, a couple of guys did some major miles to attend this thing, so thanks again to everyone!

Next up for me, I'm going to beg, borrow or build a rotisserie so I can start ripping the hot rod apart.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Made it home safely.  I got in about 7:30 p.m. Texas time - traffic from north Austin south to Kyle was a total mess and took 1 hour 45 minutes to get through.  Then it was heavy, but moving along nicely the rest of the way into San Antonio.

Got the Mini and tow dolly all put away and am catching up on emails and such before crashing for the night.

94touring

Looks like I may need to replace an outer CV as well.