2023 Mini Ozarks run

Started by MiniDave, March 23, 2023, 01:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Right now the weather is looking fab for our trip to Harrison, Ar.......rain on Friday and Sat, clear and warmer on Sunday and all thru the week at this point, temps in the mid to high 70's!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

MPlayle

Looking forward to it as well.  My current plan is to get fully prepared Saturday and leave at the "crack of dead" Sunday morning to arrive late afternoon/early evening.

MiniDave

We'll be getting a later start as Don is working that weekend and will be on deadline Sunday morning, but we're planning to be on the road by 12 and in Harrison by 4:30-5

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

See you fella's around dinner time Sunday evening.

94touring

I booked the campsite today. I'm going to check out the 17th, haul the mini over to wherever the meetup spot is that day, drive the mini, then hook up and head home in the evening.

MiniDave

Which campsite did you book?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

https://camptheoaks.com/

Lot #6 is me.  Water, electric, and showers on site. $35 bucks a night too.

MPlayle

Weather forecasts on weatherbug.com and weather.com (weather channel site) both are currently indicating likely rain.  I am still looking forward to the adventure - "rain or shine".

:steeringwheel:

MiniDave

Accuweather says rain Sunday night and a possible shower early Monday, but that's it for the rest of the week.....

Of course one thing you can count on for this part of the country is changes in the weather!

But so far it looks pretty good, mid 70's (might be a bit humid) every day.

Everyone make sure your tires are good and aired up correctly, fresh oil filled to the marks and coolant topped up - should be good to go. I'm not bringing a ton of spare parts but I'll have a couple of "just in case" things, cause that way nothing will break!

Oh - and air up your spare tire!!!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

A slight change in plans going through my head: I may just drive the Mini there and back instead of towing it.  (I know - daring ... brave ... insane?)

Less hassle with potentially having to load/unload it in rain and have it sit out on the tow dolly Saturday night in my apartment parking lot taking up several spaces as parking seems to have gotten full lately.

MiniDave

Be sure you have earplugs if you do this!

I was considering doing that too, but decided against it.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I will have both earplugs and earbuds (for when I want to try some music).

MiniDave

Things to bring:

Dash cam?

Spare tire (don't forget to check the air!) Don carries a small electric air pump with him

Jack and tire tools, lug nuts if different (yes, I had a flat and did not have a spare, a jack or a lug wrench. I have learned my lesson!)

Walkie talkie radios? I have a pair as does Don

Sunglasses, ear plugs

Cooler for drinks? (I have a few cupholders left to sell)

Spare Parts and tools (such as fan belt, wheel bearings etc)

Spare quart of oil, coolant

Cash? (you never know)

Anything else?

Be aware - small towns in Arkansas and Missouri do not have smoking bans in restaurants and bars - you may have to just deal with it......or eat outside in our cars.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm all set. 

Scargo

You can now move Al Frost from the tentative category to the "committed" category...(in more ways than one).

MPlayle

I'm basically as set as I am going to be.

Can we include "aprehension" on the list?

MiniDave

Cool that Al is coming - nice group - 8 is a good number!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: MPlayle on May 12, 2023, 06:28:59 PMI'm basically as set as I am going to be.

Can we include "aprehension" on the list?

Will you have room for your bicycle without the tow car?

I think you'd be smart to tow it in case something happens - plus too and also if you tow it nothing will happen!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The Mini being a Panel Van, it will have plenty of room for the bike.

That said, you've convinced me to tow it.  Now to hurry out and get it loaded up.

MiniDave

Safe travels tomorrow.

I think you'll be glad to have A/C and cruise control for the drive up and home.

I've got fresh oil in the Racing Green, I got the front bar installed, lights in the back window, rear brakes adjusted, tires pressures set (including the spare) and I'm trying some different seats just for fun. I think I need different seat brackets tho to get them back far enough to stretch my legs out. I think these may wind up in the hot rod, but I also may go back to some Miata seats. Way early to be worrying about that though.....

I also have extra cup holders to sell if anyone wants one - bargain price of only $10 ea. Steveston sells them for $40 plus shipping!!! I have grey, black and red.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Car is loaded! 

I must be getting better through repetition as it only took an hour to do all the car juggling and loading:
- first car out of its garage,
- tow dolly juggled out of that garage and onto the Jeep,
- first car back in its garage,
- Mini out of its garage and loaded onto the dolly,
- all straps and safety chains attached and tightened,
- parked as out of the way as possible and not be blocked in or blocking anyone else.

94touring

I intend to hit the road relatively early so I can beat the mild heat.  I'm guessing I'll be there a little before noon.

Willie_B

Hooked up and ready to roll. Not sure what time I will hit the road this afternoon but will not make in all the way today.

Scargo

I arrived at the HIE at noon.

Brad ... Don't forget to release the handbrake :-)

(sorry, you asked for it)