Looking for a Rear Hydro Subframe

Started by stodgy, December 15, 2023, 02:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stodgy

Hi -

Car's been off the road for ~10 years and am compiling parts for a rebuild.
I'm looking for a rear wet subframe.
Looks like someone hooked the web when towing and ripped the metal apart. Drove it like this as daily driver for awhile but it needs to be replaced.
I'm in SoCal.

Thanks!
Dave

Red Riley

MiniDave

What's different about a wet rear sub vs dry?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Where a rubber cone would seat in a dry subframe is different in a wet subframe as it has a set of tabs to help lock the hydro bag in place as well as the hole for the hydro hose/pipe down the center.

stodgy

Red Riley,

Mine's about as useful but I wonder if your might just buff right out  :cheesy:

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 16, 2023, 12:54:48 PMWhere a rubber cone would seat in a dry subframe is different in a wet subframe as it has a set of tabs to help lock the hydro bag in place as well as the hole for the hydro hose/pipe down the center.

Gee, seems like a little welding of tabs and drilling two holes would convert a dry to wet subframe?  Someone must have done this before?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Mini Spare has genuine Hydro rear subframes in stock.  They do seem to have a caveat about needing the retaining tabs though.

Usually you hear of someone converting a hydro subframe to dry rather than from dry to wet.

cstudep

Looks like they have the non genuine as well which is a little bit cheaper. Same caveat about the hydrogas retainers needing to be welded on from the old sub frame or fabed up. Seems simple enough to do.

I have one from a mk2 that still has the old hydros in it, but its not likely worth the cost of shipping, its not bent up but pretty rusty.

stodgy

I was hoping to avoid buying a new one mostly because the added cost of shipping but might have to suck it up.
All those wet-to-dry conversions over the years have made prices go bonkers.
I thought about going dry but I like the ride quality and have an extra set of pipes and bags so should last me.

MiniDave

The hydrolastics do ride nicely
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Whee

I have one in Colorado I think. PM me if you are still looking.