valve spring compressor adapter?

Started by ADRay, January 08, 2024, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

Good morning, yesterday I went to use the valve spring compressor that I bought from Mini Sport last summer, and I am finding that this tool seems too big. Am I using this wrong, or do I need an adapter for using it on a Mini head? Thanks

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I have the same one and it's not very good, what you need is to use a small socket under the valve head to take up the space. It works, but it's just fair......Rather than use the lever, I found it worked better to set it up with the lever closed, and just run the in the  adjustable end. It's slower but it works.

Sometimes you feel like you need three hands!

I leave the studs in where the manifold attaches, and set the head in my vise with it held by those studs, spring side of the valves away from me. Don't forget to adjust the end of the compressor that goes over the spring down to a close fit by tightening that wing nut. You have to compress the springs pretty far to get the keepers out and back in.

Good luck!

Edit: found a video I did of the process....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZU9JiJJKa0

If you need help or a better explanation feel free to call me at 913-948-3652
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Thanks Dave. I was thinking it might come to using a socket or something to close up the space. And thanks for the video, very helpful for visual learners like myself.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998