Wanted: Radius Arm Left and Right 1963 or newer

Started by minifrisco, September 26, 2022, 07:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minifrisco

Looking for Rear Radius Arm Left and Right, it needs to be a 1963 or newer.

tmsmini

minifrisco

Yes, Dry.
1963 and newer due to the bearing and bushing. I do have an early style that uses a 2 bronze bush type from 1960 and it is too much work to have it honed to fit new bearing and bushing.

tmsmini

I have two refurbished hydro arms that have been drilled for shocks, but all the brackets are in the wrong place for dry.
I bought them off of a Mini racer who sold his car, but I did not check them closely before sending off to be refurbished.
No use to me at this point.

minifrisco

Not familiar with hydro and what needs to be done to convert to dry. Any chance you could post a picture?

tmsmini

I am sure I have some pictures. It would be best to see side by side.
Everything was rerouted for hydro.

tmsmini

Not sure if the different brackets can be easily seen

Willie_B

The 3 main differences between dry and wet are, no lower shock mount on the axle shaft, the brake hose bracket is on the bottom of the arm instead of the top of the arm, the part of the arm where the cone/knuckle joint goes is slightly longer so the leverage is changed a bit.

94touring

If I remember correctly since the leverage changes they say it makes a stiffer ride.  Not sure how true that is or how significant it would be.

tmsmini

And these particular ones have had the stub axle drilled and tapped for mounting a shock which reduces their usability for a true hydro installation. It seems here should be a way to use a stud of some kind to attach the helper spring on a hydro car, but the originality is gone.

Not sure the differences are better shown here:
https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/rear-suspension-hydrolastic

https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/rear-suspension-rubber-cone

minifrisco

I appreciate the pictures and the information. It seems like there is going to be a lot of changes and not sure if even afterwards it will be a good fit. I will keep looking. Thanks once again.

MiniDave

If you haven't found any yet, I will have a couple off a 94 SPi in a month or so, no idea of a fair price so give me an idea of what you think is right. They can be complete with backing plates, brakes etc or I can strip them down for you depending on what you need/want.
Also let me know where you are so we can figure out shipping....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

minifrisco

I appreciate, but I was able to find them a few months ago. Thanks