Ads, ads, everywhere !

Started by ve9aa, September 06, 2021, 09:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ve9aa

Ads are everywhere now.  It's ingrained in our life with seemingly no end in sight, surely to get worse.
When I buy stuff @ homedepot, even the cash register (self checkout) asks me if I want an emailed receipt.
If I say yes, I am sure to get more ads in my email.

If the wife uses a coupon @ Michaels, more emailed ads.

If I watch youtube videos, signed into an account, at least I can tell (from your feedback here), I am getting bombarded with ads
on Edd China's channel, whereas on other channels , hardly a one.

On sidewalks, ads.  When I wait in line @ Tim Hortons drivethru for coffee, there are literally dozens and dozens of ads 1'x2' panels(ads), ty-wrapped to the chain link fences, even in small towns/villages. (Tim Hortons are everywhere here, like Dunkin; Donuts/Starbucks)

On the sides of city buses....ads.

Topsigns on taxis. (not new, but more prevalent these days)

Rotating LED/LCD signs on top of buildings or billboards on the side of the highway.

In the future it will only get worse.  We'll have even more ads covering up the bottom of our TV screens when we're watching shows or movies, missing part of the details. (I hate this when I am watching a murder mystery type of show, where I want to see all the details)

At some point, our heads-up displays in modern cars will broadcast ads in our field of view on the inside of our windshields.

There will be holographic ads as we wander the street. (even see WALL-E or the Fifth Element?)   Some of these ads will (somehow) identify us and project ads in the air for products they think will interest us. (Ever look on eBay or Amazon and get an email the next day suggesting something you should buy?)

I bought a dishwasher a couple years ago and get targetted ads to my cell phone now from that local business which I can't seem to stop.

Even the political parties TEXT us before every election.  Sometimes late at night-grrrr

What bugs you guys and how far do you think it will go?  I've only scratched the surface.
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

So I should install ads on the forum is what you're saying?

120.gif

MPlayle

One more reason I stay a "techno troglodite" with my "dumb" flip-phone and a talk only plan.

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or other such "social media".

I also use Firefox browser always in "private" mode and an internet security software on my Mac at home.  It minimizes the ads and tracking.

I know I may be "missing out" on lots of things, but I also don't seem to have all the annoyances that go with always being "connected" and tracked.

MiniDave

I agree, it's gotten completely out of hand.....the worst ones to me were the TV screens in front of urinals and on gas pumps.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on September 06, 2021, 12:56:50 PM
I agree, it's gotten completely out of hand.....the worst ones to me were the TV screens in front of urinals and on gas pumps.....

There's some bathrooms downtown that have this one particular lawyer to get you out of dui's.