tool box

Started by jeff10049, December 05, 2020, 10:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Well I bought a new toolbox I was not really looking but the snap-on guy had a white and orange box on the truck that caught my eye. Not big enough but add in a 36" side box and it ends up bigger than what I have.
The current box is a snap on with 2 side boxes 9' long. The new box when the single side box arrives will be 10' long and is deeper as well.
I paid 12k for old blue and the side boxes 15 years ago and they are cutting me a check for 10k for it only lost 2k in 15 years not bad id say.
The new box with side is 21k  -10k for old -6k in rebates and customer loyalty gets me into an epic series snap on for 5k I'm ok with that.
Has lighted drawers a full stainless top coming with side box should be here next week also has a power drawer for all the cordless stuff. 

So far I have moved over my sockets waiting on the side box to move 3/4" drive sockets.  My electrical stuff, my air tools, and my cordless stuff to the power drawer. Lots to go but a great time to reorganize the tools after 15 years it's time.

94touring

Which reminds me I need to organize my socket drawer.

MiniDave

Can't believe they gave you $10K for the old box.....that's pretty amazing!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow. A tool box like either one is a dream for us guys with a home garage.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Now I see why my father in law says the tool box he gave me was a retirement fund.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on December 06, 2020, 09:37:14 AM
Can't believe they gave you $10K for the old box.....that's pretty amazing!

If you keep them nice they don't loose much the dealer will get 8k for the main box pretty easy as that same one currently sells for over 12k and he should get 2k per side box pretty easy so he'll make 2k on mine but I don't want to try and sell it.
If you are a new guy coming up in the trade the only choice is to start with a used and work your way up unless you have an extra 12k laying around.

jeff10049

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 06, 2020, 11:31:52 AM
Now I see why my father in law says the tool box he gave me was a retirement fund.

Especially if it has tools in it my box has another 50k in tools in it.

MiniDave

That's how I started.....the Snap-On guy came by one day and I went on his truck, back then they didn't have these giant long boxes. I saw a nice little top box with a few tools in it - turns out he had repo'd it and I bought it for - sit down - $250!

In those days $250 was a lot of money to a guy making $100 a week, I probably could have gone to Sears or Wards and gotten a top box for $100, but that's how you did it back then......

I still have the box and it's a little worse for wear, but not much. I don't use it any more but for years I worked out of that box, although much later on I did add a Montgomery Ward lower roll around cabinet. I remember on weekends I would load that top box in the back seat of my Mini so I could work on something at home - I had taken the back seat cushion out of the Mini and it just fit but it was a bugger to get it in and out! By then I had added quite a few tools.

I still have all the sockets and wrenches that came with the box and use them almost every day.....that's one thing about Snap-On stuff - it lasts!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad