Turbo Mini

Started by cdnmini, January 23, 2021, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnmini

Allow me to introduce myself.
Phil from Aurora, Ontario. Just north of Toronto.

After 5 years its time to get my rear end going and get this Mini restored.
Unfortunately, previous projects keep getting in the way...

1976 Canadian Mini
Mg Metro turbo block & gearbox
Shooting for 140-150bhp
Built for the road, with a bit more get up and go....

Since its too cold in the garage to work on the body, I've elected to get the engine and gearbox started.
Waiting for some parts from Med Engineering and Minispares to arrive before I send the block of to the machine shop.

This is my first Turbo build, but not my first A series rebuild.
If I ever get this uploading of photos figured out, i might post some photos as i go along.

Stay safe.....
Phil

MiniDave

Hey Phil, Welcome to Restoration Mini!

Our host Dan is in the middle of a turbo build too....

As to posting pics you can either use a third party host like Imgur or such, or upload them here to the forum in albums or use the attachments feature which works great. You may have to resize them first - I use 600X800
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They should resize on their own but orientation can be off, so I advice using a program called reduce photo size to verify they're right side up. Helps reducing the size of most pictures today's phones take just for upload time.  The little icon below the B that's a tiny Mona Lisa is what you need to click on to post pictures from another host.  Or simply click attachments and other options when posting and upload that way.  There's also a gallery installed on the forum for uploading pictures if you'd prefer that. 

I have the turbo setup all pieced together but haven't had the time to finish the install.  I can pass along a good bit of info that I learned along the way. I'm generally pretty savvy with turbos having built turbo rotary engines.

cdnmini

Thanks MiniDave.
Just reading up on some of your engine builds.
Very impressive, I must say.

@ 94touring
Thanks Dan.
Nice to see someone else going down this road.
I am always all ears, when it comes to advice from others with experience.

Almost all completed with this one, 1972 Midget so I can get the mini in the garage and get started.
Phil

94touring

Nice looking midget.

Do you have a particular turbo kit in mind or piecing together your own?  If you're putting your own together what do you plan to use for an ignition source for timing maps?

MiniDave

Pageant blue? One of our other members has a 79 Midget in that color - he absolutely loves driving it.

Just FYI, you may already know this site, but he has a lot of cool DIY upgrades for Spridgets.....

http://www.creativespridgets.com

Dan can sure give good advice on what ignition systems NOT to buy!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cdnmini

Thanks Dan!
I am giving the Midget to my daughter.
It was the first time I had a go at painting the car in my garage.
It turned out not too bad for a beginner.

Turbo wise, I have most of the parts already, minus the cyl head....long story!
Will get one custom build from across the pond once I decide what compression ratio (or boost) will be going with.
Have a GT1752 turbo with a custom made exhaust manifold so I don't have to cut the bulkhead.
Ignition will be managed by Megajolt. I have been using this on my red car for close to 10 years now.
Carb will be a hif44 from a MG Metro.
Presently building a RTS clutch to handle the extra power.

@ MiniDave
They call it Tahiti blue. Will paint the mini this color as well.
Thanks for that link, I will definitely check it out.
phil

94touring

Sounds like you got it under control.  The 1792 turbo and megajolt are both good for what you're after.

cdnmini

Had these made at a local machine shop.
This should make it a lot easier to remove and/or install new camshaft bearings.

For some reason some things keep disappearing in my garage.
Only have one dowel that goes between engine and the gearbox.
Cant seem to find it on any of the suppliers websites.
If I cant locate mine, I will need to get one made.

Had a close look at the crankshaft, all the measurements are spot on and no marks whatsoever.
Surprisingly, even the crankshaft bearings look ok. Will replace them regardless with a new ACL bearings.
Once the new pistons arrive, I will be sending the block to get bored and a light skim on the top.
Phil

MiniDave

Phil, you HAVE to start resizing your pics!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

They can be resized with the img tag
Quote from: MiniDave on January 26, 2021, 05:45:15 PM
Phil, you HAVE to start resizing your pics!   77.gif

cdnmini

My apologies for messing up with my uploaded photos.
I did try to follow as MiniDave suggested, by resizing them to 600X800 before uploading them.
Obviously I must be missing a step or something. :-[
Will try to get this corrected on my next post.....
phil

94touring

Yeah attached photos auto size, or they're supposed to.  Linked don't. 

What will you be doing in the form of intercooler?  I will be forgoing the intercooler but running water/meth injection like I do on my rx7. 

cstudep

Is your installation going to be the style with the turbo behind the motor or off to the side in the area of the clutch housing? I have been doing lots of reading on the subject lately (might have caught the bug) and it seems you see them done both ways. Not sure if there is an advantage one way or the other aside form possible firewall mods?

cdnmini

I will be going with the intercooler up front.
Once the engine is in, then I'll figure out which is the best way to plum everything together.
Not familiar with the water/ meth injection system. Need to do some research into it.

@cstudep
My setup will be with the turbo located behind the engine.
By getting a custom made exhaust manifold and a smaller turbo, which is more desirable then what came with MG Metro Turbo, you can avoid cutting the bulkhead to make everything JUST fit in.
Both, side mount or behind the engine work well.
From my understanding, the side mount is a bit more tricky then behind the engine installation.
Exhaust and turbo oil drain is a bit of a job to install on the side mount.
Also if its RHD and you have the brake booster, that will interfere with the side mount set up.
phil

94touring

Water injection gives you a near bullet proof engine.  It dramatically reduces chances of detonation.  If you do a water/meth mix it effectively increases octane at the same time and cools intake charges even more.  Running it on my rotary you can watch the intake temps dive instantly when the water/meth kick in.  In the case on my mini I decided not to bother with the intercooler for this reason. Another fun thing you can achieve is by spraying directly into the turbo you'll alter your compressor maps.  Meaning that the turbo becomes more efficient. If your 1792 turbo needs more boost to get your 150hp goal but is falling short because it's hit it's max efficiency at X amount of boost, running water in the turbo and cranking up the boost effectively gives you a bigger turbo. Benefits is you can run the smallest turbo to get quick spool, have the water kick in at a certain boost level and turn that small turbo into a big turbo.  On my rotary I run a "small" turbo, on pump gas a rotary can't safely run more than 15psi, and this turbo would max out efficiency wise around 20psi.  I run 25 psi on pump gas as a result.  That's a lot of extra ponies.  You can run more timing, or higher compression too or just leave it as is for a safety net. I have pre turbo injection and post turbo injection on my rotary. The pre turbo spray doesn't kick in till 18psi.  You'll alter your air fuel ratios with meth. This can be handy to fine tune air fuel ratios. However you gotta make sure you don't run empty or you'll be instantly lean.

cdnmini

You got me very interested.....
What management system are you planning on using to control the water/meth injection?
What scares me the most, as you already know, is the sudden lean mixture or detonation.

I am still on the fence regarding installing oil cooling jets to keep the pistons cool.
Will order them shortly and decide if i want to go down that road.

My aim is for around 15psi, but from my understanding its always better to plan for more... ;D
Haven't had a chance to read up on everything on this site, any pics of your build or your RX?
Cheers,
Phil

94touring

I use the Devil's kit, stage 2 if I remember correctly.  I have it purchased ready to go in the mini but haven't installed any of the turbo kit yet either way.  I am trying to avoid using meth on the mini, but if I need some to fine tune my air fuel ratios I will.  The injection kit does give a warning when it's getting low.  On my rx7 I spray a total of 800cc's, half that being meth.  On the mini I'd likely start with 120cc of water and see how it does. 

cdnmini

Nice RX!
Looks in great shape.
Brings back nice memories when my friend had one.
Must bring a big smile on your face when you stomp on it.

I will certainly will be following you turbo Mini build.
cheers,
phil

MiniDave

Smile on your face and a pain to the back of your head where it hits the headrest when he shifts gears!   71.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad