NZ Paint Colors

Started by stodgy, September 04, 2020, 12:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stodgy

Hi -

A few days ago, a came across a post that included a copy of a paint chip page for NZ minis along with the paint mnfr.
Now, I can't find it and it might've been this forum or at the Elf/Hornet forum or another?
I searched here but nothing was found. Maybe it was posted as part of another thread?

Does anyone remember seeing it here?

Thanks

MiniDave

I remember that too.....lemme see if I can find it too.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I remember seeing a thread the other day with a whole bunch of paint info in from Dan. I have been reading a whole bunch of old threads though so who knows what it could have been in. I will also see if I can find it. Seems like it was in one of the restoration threads maybe.

Here is the one I was thinking of. Not sure this is what you were looking for though.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg413#msg413

stodgy

Thanks for the link.
I looked through it and while there's a lot of good info, no NZ pages. My problem is, I end up going down mini-forum rabbit holes and can't remember where I've been. I'm sure I'll stumble across it later though.

To cut to the chase, I'm trying to confirm the car's color. Some say Cumberland (which there's 2?), some say Porcelain but it looks more like a lighter, minty green. It's hard to guess from looking at all the online scans.

I've included some pics in case anyone knows or can weigh in...

MiniDave

In your last pic it looks almond green to my eye?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Can you give me a year?  I might be able to dig something up.

stodgy

Quote from: MiniDave on September 05, 2020, 08:59:06 AM
In your last pic it looks almond green to my eye?   8.gif

Yup, that's been suggested before too.
The NZ page had color names I'd never seen before so was thinking was my best shot. Not that they're different coors of course, just different names.

stodgy

Quote from: 94touring on September 05, 2020, 09:15:22 AM
Can you give me a year?  I might be able to dig something up.

Thanks again!

MPlayle

I just did a search for "Riley Elf color codes" and one of the results is this thread:

https://elf-hornet.forumotion.com/t730-colour-chart

Near the bottom is a chart with all of the factory colors and their associated interior colors.  Assuming the interior panels in your pictures are "original", I would interpret that as "Cardinal Red" and look at the body/roof colors that had "Cardinal Red" interiors.

MiniDave

According to that last chart, there were no green cars with cardinal red interiors.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stodgy

Quote from: MiniDave on September 05, 2020, 09:40:59 AM
According to that last chart, there were no green cars with cardinal red interiors.....

That chart might be for the British mnfr cars?
Kiwi cars were (as I understand) shipped to the island as knockdown kits and assembled locally with local industry support; paint, carpet, heaters ...

Is most likely all original. I have the registration records from new confirmed by the PO's home address handwritten on the backside of the hubcaps. I'm the 3rd owner (not counting the export broker). Was owned by a little old lady than sold to a older gentlemen (who ran triathlons until his 80s. Amazing what you can find on the internets!). Have also seen the same color combo online for Elfs that ended up in Japan.

BruceK

[/quote]

I have the registration records from new confirmed by the PO's home address handwritten on the backside of the hubcaps.
[/quote]

That is so cool. I am always intrigued by little clues of modern archaeology to be found.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

stodgy

Found it on the Elf/Hornet site

https://elf-hornet.forumotion.com/t2285-nz-colours

The page is attached in case anyone is interested.
Thanks for all the help!

MPlayle

Looks a lot more like the Hallet Green on the NZ color chart.

94touring

Hallett looks a lot like porcelain.

stodgy