F1 2020

Started by MiniDave, July 05, 2020, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I remain skeptical of any orchestrated pit stop shenanigans.  After all, this appeared to be an impromptu stacked pit stop: two cars, eight new tires, plenty of pressure.  I think getting points for the team is more important than protecting the team's top driver's ego.  I can't see it.  Remember, this was the same team that accidentally royally screwed up Hamilton's race at Monaco several years ago by virtue of an unneeded pit stop. They are not infallible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yes, but that was a bad strategy call, not a bunch of trained guys who do this hundreds of times before each race to make sure they know exactly what to do......

I don't know that it was orchestrated for the Hamster's benefit, but I just can't believe they could mess up a pit stop in this way - by grabbing the wrong tires.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, last race of 2020.....

Honda power, a Newey chassis and Mad Max behind the wheel = poll at Abu Dhabi!

I thought the Haminator was going to take it again, but then Bought Ass went a tiny bit quicker and Mad Max went even quicker. Heck of a finish to this weird season. I'm surprised, but they said this was Max' first poll ever in F1??!?!?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

TURN THE VOLUME UP! 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Back when an F1 car could raise the hairs on the back of your neck!

Wonder what the lap times were like in a 15 year old car?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So the final F1 race of 2020 can be summed up with one word:   YAWN

Or perhaps:  BORING 

When P1, P2, and P3 remain unchanged from the start to the finish it's not a race, it's a parade.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, and once again it shows that when you're out in front, you pretty much have it done.

Did you all notice the quick look in the Mercedes pits as they talked about whether they might give Lewis a new set of tires so he could get fastest lap? All the tires were carefully laid out in front of the mechanics, in the blankets with the driver's name on them.

That was my point about the "tire mixup" last week for Russel.

Congrats to all the F1 guys for pulling off this season under terrible circumstances.

23 races next year!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Red Bull hires Sergio Perez for 2021.  Smart move on their part.  4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I agree - I don't think he's faster than Max, but he's a consistent finisher, and with the Red Bull cars I think he can be right there with Max - that will help with the points hauls and strategy during the races. Should be an interesting mix....I'm pleased that he found a ride, too bad for Albon tho, as he was starting to get a lot better with the car too. Still, I think he was always at least 1/2 second slower than Max.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Did you guys see that Hamilton received a knighthood? That should definitely help keep his ego in check.

Being sarcastic obviously.

MiniDave

Yes, and Sir is asking $50 million a year on a 5 year contract....Mercedes so far say Nein!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Some things to look forward to in F1 for 2021 - cribbed from F1dotcom

1} a Schumacher on the grid. OK, he's going to be riding with the backmarkers, and he has a ways to go but it will be fun to see him on the grid

2} The return of Alonso, and in a car that Ricciardo got pretty competitive towards the end of last season.

3) Red Bull getting stronger each year, and Max with a strong teammate that should push him even harder.

4) Ferrari with a new stronger engine - who knows, maybe back to the front?

5) New tracks again this year. The highlight of the 2020 season for me was seeing the cars at such great tracks as Turkey, Portimao, Mugello and now they're adding Zaandvort and Saudi Arabia too.

6) Yuki Tsunoda coming to Alpha Tauri. He's supposed to be a really hot shoe, and Gasly was looking extremely strong last season as the car was very competitive.

7) Vettel at Aston Martin? Can he find the go fast button again? The car is stronger, and I think Papa Stroll is not fooling around here. Even Lance had some pretty good races last year.

8 ) Ricciardo and Norris - I'm not sure what to think about them, but the Big Mac seems to be getting better every year, so there could be some lightning next year.....maybe some more Shoies? Although frankly I wish he'd stop that....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Interesting article on the Aeroscreen used on Indy cars - apparently Red Bull did most of the design work based on their design for their F1 car, which makes me wonder if this is not about to appear on F1 cars too? They also are looking at design improvements for driver cooling and quick disconnects based on how long it took Grosjean to get out of his burning car.

Interesting stuff to think about.....

https://racer.com/2021/01/01/insight-progress-made-and-changes-to-come-with-indycars-aeroscreen/?fbclid=IwAR1C6GZ2ipJP710Nh6B23TVDkjGZkafmi_RK9Cd_2IOAYaN7XqGfx6zmK2Y

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Does any helmet manufacturer make any size that will possibly fit Hamilton's new, even bigger head? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

:D

They may have to resize the cockpit too! Maybe it can become an additional aero device? Kinda like "Dark Helmet" in Spaceballs?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad