Makin the Bacon

Started by Jims5543, April 16, 2020, 03:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Bacon names to follow, a friend sent my this and I cannot stop laughing.

QuoteI felt the bacon push into my mouth and, even before it reached the back of my throat, I gasped, pressed my balled fists between my legs, and shuddered through my most titanic orgasm. I twitched, gasped again, and savored the delicious meat inside of me.  I shook and my cunt spasmed with a violence that almost made me forget the bacon.

Almost.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Oh Eat, All ye Bacon!  (Adeste Fidelis, aka Oh Come, All ye Faithful)

The Little Bacon Boy  (Little Drummer Boy.  Bit of a reach.)

Yippee ki yay, bacon smoker!!!  (Die Hard reference, because that IS a Christmas movie, damnit!)

You'll bacon your eye out, kid! (A Christmas Story, obviously)

Every time you eat a strip of bacon, an angel gets its wings!  (It's a Wonderful Life)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I drove out into the middle of Florida 20 miles from my house Saturday to go to a butcher in the middle of the farmland.

I spoke with the owner and his wife. They were super nice and really accommodating. They did not have any pork belly on hand, they did have some smoked pork belly ready to be sliced into bacon and offered that. I told them that takes the challenge out of my mission. The laughed and agreed, he made some calls today to order a fresh pork belly for me. I should have it tomorrow, it will be 12-15 lbs.... dear lord what have I done?

On top of that, I ordered some heirloom pork belly online on Friday. They said would not be here for 2 weeks so I was OK with that knowing I would be ordering my own local meat.

Sunday they emailed me and said they are preparing for shipping, I may see that by mid week.... what have I done?  that is like 25 lbs of pork belly coming at me all at once.

We are going to try some non cured bacon, as in no curing salt which = nitrate free = good.

I was apprehensive to try it, did some reading and seems my turn around time is quicker so I am all about that right now.

I finally had some of my last batch of bacon... I am a bacon god... I kept the thick sliced stuff for myself and it took a while to cook it.  Typically in the oven at 425 it takes 15 minutes this bacon took 25-30 minutes.  LOL!!

Looks like I am spending the holidays making a lot of bacon.

I told the wife, I had an idea for a package of bacon, half thin sliced then the other half thick sliced and label it, for the cook. The label the thin stuff, for everyone else.

Jims5543

15 lbs of bacon has been processed.

I called the meat market on Wednesday after I finished a 5ac. job near it.  They said it was there and there was 15lbs. They asked if I wanted all 15 lbs and I said yes, them seemed stunned.

I got there around 11:45 and the lady asked if I wanted with or without skin and are you sure you want 15 lbs?  I was like, yes all 15 lbs, and if your offering to take the skin off?  Please!! No skin!!

After 15 minutes she regretted her offer, she said out loud that it was very difficult, I said to her I was relieved because it is a tough for me too.  Good to know it was not me.

The problem was it was sloppy Joe Wednesday for lunch, all the farm hands and cowboys were sauntering in to grab lunch.  The place filled up fast, one cowboy was even sporting spurs. LMAO!! I was in the right place.

Here is a pic of the front of the place. It does not look like much, those are the best places.

We decided to do two rubs. One was my traditional recipe, the other was a variation, we substituted white sugar for maple syrup so we can make "The Maple Kind?"  style bacon. (video at end of post that I am referring to)

Here we go!!  Rubbing on the dry rub.

Time for the Maple Kind.

All bagged up, the Maple Kind at the bottom the dry rub at the top.  15 lbs in all, costing me $4 a lb.  This is the kind of bacon you buy for $10 a lb in the grocery store.

On deck is the Heritage Pork Belly around new year. One got squished.

Willie_B

Thought about you when I saw a story about whiskey flavored with bacon.

Jims5543

I have had Old Fashioned drinks infused with Bacon, they are excellent.

I have 15 lbs of Bacon all being handed out at a NYE party tomorrow night. My niece is down from Eastern LI so we are going to my BIL tomorrow for a bon fire. I will be bringing a cooler full of bacon as party gifts.

Christmas day, I smoked the belly.

In the back is the maple kind, an experiment went wrong, it is so salty..  We will do smaller batches and figure out a better recipe.

26 Dec. I sliced it up fresh and straight to the oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes. Wife made waffles to accompany the fresh bacon. This was the maple kind a a little too salty for our liking, still good just could be toned down some.

The freezer is full of bacon!! I saved all the scraps and vacuum sealed them as well.  Figured they could be used in other cooking that requires bacon and not necessarily strips.

jeff10049

"Here we go!!  Rubbing on the dry rub."

Jim I thought of this ever listen to Zappa? if not you should. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHCcUnm4SI

94touring

I need to make a trip to Florida just for the bacon.

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on December 31, 2020, 09:41:29 PM
"Here we go!!  Rubbing on the dry rub."

Jim I thought of this ever listen to Zappa? if not you should. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHCcUnm4SI

My son made me some labels, we handed out bacon packets out to friends and family at my BIL's NYE party last night.   

Jeff, who is the Frank Zappa you speak of? 

Pic of my hallway bathroom wall attached.   ;D

cstudep

what kind of vacuum sealer do you use? been thinking about getting one and the bags you use look like super good quality and fairly heavy duty.