iRacing Indy Car series

Started by Jims5543, April 01, 2020, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Just a FYI - if you are going through car racing withdrawal. You take what you can.

Indycar just held its first iracing race in a series of races to be run for 6 weekends.

It was streamed Saturday and was the most watched streamed sports event ever broadcast.

Here is the video of the race. I streamed it to the side while I was working and actually enjoyed it.

It was interesting to see who is fast when the playing field is level.  I am sure Marco Andretti will never enter one of these races. LOL!!  He races purely on name recognition.

Tony Kanaan ends up AFK* which made me LOL!!  He was involved in an early crash, that put him to the back of the field and it appears he just walked away from his sim.

*AFK = Away from Keyboard for non online gamers.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I could not find the live stream.  I might watch the replay tomorrow.

I did find Josef Newgarden in car feed.  Which is interesting to say the least, they are taking this pretty serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itohVk2WkX0
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Jims5543

Formula One is doing it too.

Not many current drivers participating (maybe 5 IIRC) so they are filling the field up with siblings, past drivers and celebrities.

Noteable, Jensen Button jumped in.  And Johnny Herbert is racing as well.

Jump to 19:00 for the 15 lap Qualifying shootout and 36:00 for the race.

gr8kornholio

Since it's virtual they should let anyone try to qualify. Then limit the race.  Sure there are some video gamers that'd stomp the pros. Dude in the MINI club here had a ridiculous driver simulator setup and his thing was online F1 racing. 

For those not in the NASCAR loop, Martin Truex got a seat in Dale Jr's bush car by continually whooping his butt online.  He won the top series title a year ago or so. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

It seems there is a lot of racing going on practicing for the big race, a lot of gamers are mixing it up with the pros in those races. It would be cool if they let a couple of online pros into the main events.

Its just a game they said, it doesn't matter they said. Then Bubba Wallace rage quit from a NASCAR irace, mocking it on his twitter and twitch feeds. He lost a sponsor as a result.

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/bubba-wallace-loses-sponsorship-after-rage-quitting-during-nascar-iracing-event/

gr8kornholio

Yea the racing doesn't matter. Being a clown on the internet can.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.