Got my 3D printer going.

Started by jeff10049, March 14, 2020, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

I have been learning how to use fusion 360 cad program to draw in 3D.

Wife got me a CR10 printer and I got it fired up last week.
Made a plug I needed for a job and a box to hold a battery disconnect switch.
I can see all sorts of uses when restoring a car for this.

Print quality is good and strong.

MiniDave

what does the thread cost (consumables)?

also, how long does it take to print something - like that box?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Should print rolls of tp and make a fortune.  Course might be a little bit rough of a wipe.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

That is so cool.  Besides making parts for restoration, I've seen people using a 3D printer to make unique parts to sell.  Case in point, I recently purchased 2 sets of 3D printed JDM license plate to USDM plate adapters for my truck. (JDM license plate mounting holes are spaced differently and you can't just bolt up a US plate).    The adapters I purchased weren't cheap, but they were beautifully made and just what I needed.

If you can find a niche for a special part that people need, you can start your own miniature production line.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2020, 06:33:05 PM
what does the thread cost (consumables)?

also, how long does it take to print something - like that box?

Filament cost varies widely depending on the material/quality/density some PLA can be had for a few dollars a spool, ABS about $20 a 2 lb spool, nylon $30 and up depending on quality. Some of the carbon fiber reinforced can be $100's per spool. I'm still learning all this.

That box said it would take 9 hours but it was 12 according to the printer I started it about 4 pm and it was done when I returned to the shop in the am and the screen showed a 12.2-hour print. I am still learning the slicing software that turns your model into g code for the printer. So I am running conservatively on everything right now.

The plug 1-1/4" dia 1" tall with handle took less than an hour could I go buy something at the hardware store? Sure but it was fun and I didn't have to go anywhere in that sense it is more affordable to just print it.

Faster does not necessarily mean lower quality. Quality is in the resolution of the print basically how thick each pass is, of course, more passes is more time but you can speed up the printer physical speed to a point.

Like any machining process, it all comes down to feed and speed there is a sweet spot. How fast can you run and still accurately feed material at the correct temp and also make direction changes etc without sacrificing quality, adhesion, accuracy?
That I don't know yet but I bet I could cut that 12 hours nearly in half and maintain the same quality with this printer.

Then again if it runs at night and you have parts in the morning time is not that important.

(edit) consumables cost nozzles not sure yet very affordable I think. Carbon fiber filaments are abrasive and wear nozzles they have hardened and ruby nozzles to help they don't seem expensive and I think they last a long time. I'll know more soon.

jeff10049

Starting to figure out fusion 360 3d cad better. also learning the best ways to print sometimes you can avoid supports by adding a tapered gusset to a tab.
Makes it stronger and if the taper is enough it can build it out without support.

Printed this vent knob for a barracuda large end up no supports the taper is enough. It was fun to learn how to draw it about 6 parts make it up.
Got it very close to the factory one.
The factory one was broken where it's taped.

MiniDave

Wow, that turned out great! How long did it take to make that?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

drawing it was a few days after work now that I have learned how I could draw a similar part in 10 minutes.

Print time at 40% fill with petg plastic on standard quality (as shown in pics)  .02mm layer height was 1 hour and 27 minutes.

MiniDave

Wow, that was a lot quicker than I thought it would take....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Small parts are pretty fast I printed 2.5" x 1.75" about .080" thick with .125 thick border.  switch plate that I broke in about 17 minutes saved the day.

The fill percent doesn't change the time much as it has to do a lot of motion to print the honeycomb-like fill anyway. All it really does is save plastic and help control the warpage in some material.

Printing supports waste lots of time and plastic.
The battery disconnect box I posted earlier back when I got it could of printed upside down and made the mounting feet tapered on the top side with countersunk holes for screws and needed no support.
Or if I wanted the flat tabs it would only print support for those instead of filling the whole box with support to be removed.
I didn't know enough yet I was just happy to be making something I needed.

Still learning I can see a commercial unit being a good business expense if my business survives this pandemic.