Another Mini in Texas

Started by Brit_in_TX, December 04, 2020, 03:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brit_in_TX

Hello Everyone  19.gif

Randy (Lone Star Mini) pointed me at this website.  As my username implies, I am in a Brit who now lives in Texas (about 45 minutes north of San Antonio), I moved to Texas in July this year (I am married to a Texan) and brought my Mini Mayfair with me.

My Mini was built and registered in 1994 and had completed around 23000 miles when I bought it in March 2019.  And was pretty much bone stock when I got it. See the pictures attached.

Initially I have focused on fixing some small cosmetic details on the exterior, fitting new wheels, colour coding the arches and had a stage 1 kit fitted. My winter project was to completely redo the interior to make it luxurious and fitting in with the mini style. 

I have noticed that there have been some planned drives in central Texas, which I am excited to join and some other mini enthusiasts.

I will attach some more photographs in some additional posts.

Craig

Brit_in_TX

Attached are some pictures of what the exterior now looks like.

cstudep

Nice! Looks to be pretty clean and straight. Welcome aboard!

Brit_in_TX

I had a custom interior done by Optimise Automotive in the UK, but fitted the majority of it myself.  The only bit I did not fit was the headliner.

These photos show some of the in progress work.

MiniDave

Wow, that looks terrific! I really like the color coded arches....

Welcome to the forum!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

And this is the completed interior.  I am really really happy how this turned out!

Brit_in_TX

50.gif

If anyone can tell me how to rotate the photos, I would be very grateful as they show correctly on my computer. 

BruceK

Hey, I also live in Spring Branch, so Hello Neighbour!  .  4.gif

You have a great looking Mini.  Can't wait to see it in person and meet you.   I moved here just about a year ago, and I'm very happy to have discovered an active (COVID Notwithstanding) local San Antonio Mini club filled with great people and interesting Minis.

I think I spotted your Mini traveling north up 281 a couple of months ago.  I was in the middle of fueling up at a service station or I would have given chase. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

That interior looks amazing!

Regarding pictures.  The forum has a difficult time with certain pictures for whatever reason. I recommend an app called "reduce photo size".  When you open the picture you want to post it will show you it's orientation.  If it's sideways, rotate, save, and post. 

BruceK

I sometimes have pictures appear sideways when posting them from my iPhone. The solution I use is to go back to the iPhone and gently edit the photo, usually change something very minor about the image, and re-save the photo on the phone. Then I edit the post and delete and re-upload the photo from the phone to my post here and that fixes the orientation issue for me. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on December 04, 2020, 04:34:01 PM
Hey, I also live in Spring Branch, so Hello Neighbour!  .  4.gif

You have a great looking Mini.  Can't wait to see it in person and meet you.   I moved here just about a year ago, and I'm very happy to have discovered an active (COVID Notwithstanding) local San Antonio Mini club filled with great people and interesting Minis.

I think I spotted your Mini traveling north up 281 a couple of months ago.  I was in the middle of fueling up at a service station or I would have given chase.

Hello Neighbour  19.gif

I have not seen your mini around, and my mini has not been driven since it arrive as it is not yet registered.  Hoping to sort that this weekend. 

Does the San Antonio mini club organize itself here or through another forum?

MPlayle

Welcome, Craig!

I live in San Antonio, so basically a neighbour as well.  I am the guy putting together some of the area drives - including the upcoming December drive.

The San Antonio Mini group is more on Facebook, though I am not.  Bruce can give you a bit more of the Facebook details.

You are most welcome to join us on the December drive (December 20th).  If you need more details let me know through this forum.

BruceK

Well, if I didn't spot your mini your Mini then it looks like we have a mystery Mini around here.  Somebody else to discover!

Since your car is not yet registered, in case you don't already know, you'll have to visit the Comal County Sheriff's office to have the car's VIN inspected and verified against your V5 and import documents.  Then it's a visit to the tax office in New Braunfels to apply for a Texas title and registration.  I went through this process within the last year when I imported a truck from Japan, so if I can help please let me know.

The local Mini club is called Texas Dashpots and uses Facebook as its platform.  Personally, I barely use Facebook but I communicate with the club through the FB Messenger app.   Craig, I will reach out to the Dashpots and ask that they send you and invite and/or be aware that you are interested in joining.

Edit:  I just checked with someone at the club and they said if you are already on Facebook you just need to request to join the Dashpots.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Welcome. And a second on the arches color matching.  Like the interior choices too.  How's the leg room with the speaker pods under the dash?  I've seen it done before and always wondered. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Brit_in_TX

The speaker pods dont interfere at all with leg room. I'll take a photo when I get a chance.

BruceK

I met Craig in person this afternoon and saw his beautiful Mini.  The interior is fantastic and the Union flag headliner is stitched leather - I thought from the photos it was a fabric print.  Very nice!   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Hey Now Craig!!  Welcome the forum officially.  These guys are a great group although I've only met Bruce and Dan in person once.  If you plan to be on the Dec. 20 Mini drive, I will get to meet you and the others in person then.  As mentioned before, you mini is stunning and I can't wait to see it in person.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

G67mcs

Great looking Mini Craig!

Also you did a fantastic job installing the new interior, everything looks really good. Welcome the forum. There are lots of knowledgable mini folks around here.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner