Been absent a little while due to...

Started by BruceK, July 30, 2019, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 22, 2019, 01:53:52 PM
Those are actually handy. My house box labels are so messed up it's not funny. Finally bought an outlet tester and flipped each breaker one at a time and went around the house so I could make a table of what did what.  Dumbest one is upstairs second bath is gfci for both outdoor plugs.  Finally figured out why outdoor plugs weren't working.

What I have seen done is when you find out what breaker controls what, write the breaker number on the back side of the cover plate for everything.

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 23, 2019, 02:25:25 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 22, 2019, 12:23:45 PM
Just found some traces of the pendantic Home Inspector from Hell when I opened the circuit box.  He has apppied blue tape on various breakers.  Apparently when the house was wired 18 years ago the electrician mislabeled some of the circuits.  And that cannot continue!    So in a perfect world these corrections would apply!
Why can't any of the handymen I find be like him?

What Dave posted earlier is so true.  You want an inspector like this on your side - like a very good lawyer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 23, 2019, 03:03:03 PM
Just found some traces of the pendantic Home Inspector from Hell when I opened the circuit box.  He has apppied blue tape on various breakers.  Apparently when the house was wired 18 years ago the electrician mislabeled some of the circuits.  And that cannot continue!    So in a perfect world these corrections would apply!

What Dave posted earlier is so true.  You want an inspector like this on your side - like a very good lawyer.

"Bruce lost big in the divorce.  The home inspector was good, but not good enough"

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on August 23, 2019, 03:06:21 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 23, 2019, 03:03:03 PM

"Bruce lost big in the divorce.  The home inspector was good, but not good enough"

Hahahaha. 

On the other hand, as soon as the lawyer entered the house for the inspection he said "I object to those curtains!!"

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Lol.  Sounds like a good SNL character.  Home inspector divorce lawyer. 

BruceK

Update: So the home inspector from hell didn't cause too much of a problem.  I sort of followed Whee's example (thank you sir!) and we held our ground and didn't really budge much. The buyer really wanted our house so only made a small monetary concession for repairs. 

On Tuesday we closed on the sale of our home in DFW.  And we closed today on our new home in the Texas Hill Country.   I rented a midsize Penske truck and we moved some stuff to the new house.  The "big move" with a moving company happens next week.  So by this time one week from now we should be unpacking and settling in. 

My bride wants to make some changes (painting and flooring) and then comes planning for what I want: a detached garage/ shop! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Excellent news!

That seems like a really quick sale, well done.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 29, 2019, 04:51:54 PM
Excellent news!

That seems like a really quick sale, well done.

We used a new service called Perch on both the selling and buying end of things.  And it is working out great. For the same 6% real estate commission fee we would pay to sell with any real estate agent, Perch listed our house in DFW and helped us find a buyer.  And since this buyer is not closing on our DFW house until a week or so AFTER we needed to close on our new house AND we needed our equity on the sale to complete the new home purchase, we sold our house to Perch itself this past Tuesday for a slightly lower amount than what the buyer has agreed. But when the buyer closes on the house for the higher sales price which we have we negotiated, we will receive the difference between the two amounts (less 6% commission).  And if somehow the deal to buy our house falls through, the house will be listed for a total of 90 days and we control the sales price.  If it doesn't sell after 90 days then we walk away.   So with a signed sales contract already in place and closing in the next week or so we should make out great.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Congrats 🍾🎉  That's an interesting sales plan, but with the internet the old realtor way is really getting out dated and a lot of companies are taking advantage. 

What flooring option are you thinking for the new place?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Flooring TBD.  My wife is pushing for hardwood to replace the combination tile and vinyl plank flooring there now.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S