Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Quote from: cstudep on December 30, 2020, 12:18:13 PM
Yeah that will be interesting to see how it pans out, I am not all that familiar with Boston Dynamics short of they do all the cool "real" robot stuff, so can't provide much input there. I would have to assume all the stuff they have learned over the years as far as the autonomous stuff goes would port over pretty well into the autonomous driving arena. For a figure north of 1 billion dollars I would have to assume Hyundai expects to get access to at least most of that but who knows.

Hot girl robots might be cool....

It seems to be a booming business.

https://www.rt.com/sport/484358-kazakh-bodybuilder-sex-doll-marriage-coronavirus/
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

cstudep

Well now, that's certainly interesting LOL. Once married I wonder if she gets half his stuff if it doesn't work out?

Jims5543

This video was shared with me.  Its a pretty cool look at one mans experience in WW2, he even has a beer named after him!  These are the hero's we should look up to, and I do, as posted several video's back, Kyle Carpenter is also a hero of mine. He jumped on a grenade to save his fellow troops.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

ve9aa

"The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan has been airing daily recently on the tv channel CHCH (Ontario, Canada) station.
Here in NB we get it on Bell TV via satellite (ch 1057 1pm locally)(AST)
I am sure it must be airing elsewhere concurrently--do a search.

A bizarre SciFi/psych thriller/spy / technodrama, it can barely be described. A beautiful resort town in Wales is featured in every episode as well as the infamous Mini MOKES and other strange vehicles and electromechanical contraptions.

A few more episodes before this current run of 17(?) shows is over.  Been many years since I've seen it (on the web) and I don't think I've seen them all. Ya snooze , ya lose !

Be seeing you...

Mini/MINI owner:
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MiniDave

I tried to watch this series a couple of times and to me it was boring, nothing but talk....and those strange balloons and stuff.....

Maybe now that I'm *ahem* older, I'll have more patience with it.....I'll probably have to watch it on You Tube tho......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It's a car!

It's a boat!

It's a van!

It's an 850cc powered RV!

It's a 6-wheeler!

Crazy Mini.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cstudep

Well that is certainly interesting.

guessing top speed somewhere in the range of 20mph flat out ;D

BruceK

Yeah, it would be useful for B Roads only with that RV.   Holding up a long line of cars behind it.

I noticed that one side seems to be permanently open, I wonder if there was a canvas or tarp or something that went over that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow. Loved it. Especially the helicopter.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Red Riley

1965 Austin Cooper S. The S stands for shed.

MiniDave

I remember when Walowitz and Koothrapalli did this on the Big Bang Theory a few years ago, and now there's a studio locally that does it. I find the likenesses pretty realistic!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

3D Printing headers out of Inconel Metal.

cstudep

Now that is cool. I would love to have access to one of those 3d laser scanner things.

I am going to guess that entire process is probably not "reasonably priced".

MiniDave

Isn't this a drift car?

So all this money and tech to make a car that slides sideways and makes tire smoke? I never understood "Drifting" as a sport.....

But the technology sure is interesting.....

I was a little disappointed they still had to weld it all together, what's the advantage to doing the 3D print if they can do the same with a welded up from scratch version?

Still not quite Star Trek's replicator, but getting there..... 4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Aside from the cool factor, I would guess the 3d printing method is a bit faster - start to finish.

Once you have a 3d model, it's a pretty simple process to 3d print it.

MiniDave

I don't know, it sounded like each piece was taking 24 hours, and there were a lot of pieces. And wasn't that why they made a second set the regular way?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: cstudep on January 28, 2021, 10:17:19 AM
Aside from the cool factor, I would guess the 3d printing method is a bit faster - start to finish.

Once you have a 3d model, it's a pretty simple process to 3d print it.

Definitely NOT faster. The process is certainly not at Star Trek replicator levels yet, but I see the main benefits being that you can make the individual parts like the collectors and the complicated bends all in one piece, and there is less welding overall. With improvements to the lasers and a larger printing platform, you could theoretically print out entire engine blocks and heads. It will be interesting to see how far they can take this tech.

cstudep

By faster I mean the guy specifically working on the car. The time spent printing it was done by someone else, in the mean time the guy who might normally be working on creating that concoction...could be doing something else.

I guess I was thinking about it kind of like time spent at the machine shop. Ultimately it's time "on the project" I guess, but while your block is sitting at the machine shop for a month, your probably working on other things that you could not have been had you done all the machining yourself.

In the end it's still pretty neat either way, it's cool to see the technology of 3d printing advancing beyond just plastic stuff.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

You know those horrible news stories about huge bus crashes overseas?   I think I might know why.

Jiminy crickets!!! This is some crazy ass driving! 

I'm never going to ride a bus in Bangladesh or Indonesia! 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, pretty ridiculous....but kinda fun too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Could make it a mini transporter.