Formula 1 - 2019

Started by MiniDave, January 09, 2019, 09:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vikram

I was surprised they didn't go for fastest lap with Charles by pitting him. However after looking at vettels speed traps, he was way down on speed.

Perhaps they did not want to risk Charles' power unit in an attempt for an extra point that they had an out side chance at.

Hoping for improvement at Bahrain!

Jims5543

Lewis is about to launch a mental assault on Bottas like he has never seen.  It was so bad for Nico he walked away at the end of the season, prepare for fireworks from Mercedes.

Bottas could take WDC this season, if he can handle the head games that are about to begin.

I stand by my post, Hamilton will be WDC and Mercedes will be WCC. 

My Prediction.  They will win 19 of the 21 races with 1-2 finishes in 17 of those races.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Hmmmmm.......things just got interesting in Bahrain!

Not only do Ferrari have a lockout on the front row, ahead of both Mercs......

But it's Leclerc is on pole, not Vettel!

The Mercs have been on the back foot all weekend, with Ferrari clearly faster in every session tho they drew within 3/10 in final qualifying.  However, the Mercs are supposed to have a half second a lap in race pace over everyone else - including the boys in red jammies.....and the DRS zones are supposed to be un-defendable.

So, what do you think will happen tomorrow if Leclerc gets a good start and is in front after turn 1? Will Ferrari make him let Vettel by or will they let him run for the win?

Tune in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Oh look another Mercedes 1-2. At least it wasn't an outright ass kicking.

Lewis will be wdc by race 17.

Vettel is done, he cannot deal with the pressure. If I were Ferrari I would be looking to Charles for the wins. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Vikram

Cannot and will not accept that fate.

Still believe Vettel will be WDC. 4 guys fighting for the title right now. Ferrari just need to sort out their reliability issues.

Vettel will find himself again.

MiniDave

Say what you will that was one hell of a race, all the way thru. Passing right and left all thru the grid.

F1 is fun again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: Vikram on March 31, 2019, 01:02:41 PM
Cannot and will not accept that fate.

Still believe Vettel will be WDC. 4 guys fighting for the title right now. Ferrari just need to sort out their reliability issues.

Vettel will find himself again.

I am a huge Vettel fan, have been since he joined RBR and since he drove in a BMW Sauber and scored points his first time out.

He has lost it, he is crumbling under pressure, which amazes me since he held his ground against the most abhorrent teammate any driver could have, Mark Weber. 

I think he is complacent and not hungry anymore and has lost his mojo.

LeClerc is impressing me greatly, I see great things in his future and yes, Lewis was gracious.... because he won.

He already launched a mental attack on Bottas and will ruin him if he thinks he is going to win WDC this season.

I honestly do not think Bottas has the the mental fortitude to deal with Lewis' game. He may posses the raw speed but he will need more than that, or at the least try to get far away from Lewis at the start of every race, or Lewis will be in front of him.

MiniDave

Both Lewis and Bottas seem to crumble when they're not in front and don't seem to be able to catch the front guys, but I will give Lewis props for being a hard charger - when he feels like it.

If he wasn't such a smug whiny biotch......

While I've been a Vettel fan for a long while, I'm on team Leclerc this season, I hope Ferrari can give him the car they did today  - at least till it failed - and he can fight for the title. Ferrari will be changing the team orders soon, and may have already....not saying they're giving up on Vettel, but the handwriting is clearly on the pit wall - Leclerc would have passed Vettel in Melbourne had they not told him to hold station, and he sure passed his ass today!

I'm afraid I'm with Jim on Vettel, he's lost his edge.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

It's a very different Ferrari team this time.

Binotto is giving interviews with TV personnel, and was very supportive of vettel on the radio after the race. Its different from the old ferrari way of attacking anyone at fault.

I think with this attitude he will find himself again. Charles looks extremely strong too, so they will really push Hamilton.
His fortune will run out and he too will crack under pressure.

We may share different views, but we can agree it will be an exciting season.

BruceK

As to which driver is most vulnerable to cracking under pressure i say that it has to Lewis.  He's great when leading, but he starts whining (or, since he's British I should say "whinging") like a petulant little girl promised a pony when things are not in his favor.   He lashes out at his team, questions each decision, and generally throws a hissy fit.  Next to his disingenuous act of "being a good sport" when congratulating someone else's achievement, his inability to deal gracefully with adversity is his worst trait. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yep....I admire his ability, but loathe him......not an ounce of class in him.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gasmini

Quote from: BruceK on April 01, 2019, 06:48:13 AM
As to which driver is most vulnerable to cracking under pressure i say that it has to Lewis.  He's great when leading, but he starts whining (or, since he's British I should say "whinging") like a petulant little girl promised a pony when things are not in his favor.   He lashes out at his team, questions each decision, and generally throws a hissy fit.  Next to his disingenuous act of "being a good sport" when congratulating someone else's achievement, his inability to deal gracefully with adversity is his worst trait.
This sounds like my boss at work. 20.gif

gr8kornholio

I was thinking the little girl from Willy Wonka, the Gene Wilder version, who wants the golden goose.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

I finally watched the Chinese F1 race this morning. 

Meh.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Vikram

Yes was not good at all.

I do hope Jim is wrong about his prediction.....

Jims5543

Quote from: Vikram on April 15, 2019, 09:35:32 AM
Yes was not good at all.

I do hope Jim is wrong about his prediction.....

I think I am wrong.

I am changing it.

Mercedes will win every single race this season and 19 of them will be 1-2 finishes.

No one is coming close to them.  They keep talking about Ferrari's straight line speed, well that is not worth crap if you cannot keep up in the corners.

Plus I honestly feel Mercedes are sandbagging still.

MiniDave

It's interesting that Honda have given Red Bull an engine that's reliable and making the same or very close to the same power as Ferrari and Mercedes, but now the chassis doesn't seem to be up to their usual form.

Glad to see Gasly getting closer to Mad Max at last.

This race was pretty Meh, even the midfield wasn't the usual hotbed of crazy.....

The Renaults are still having failures in the powerplants too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Glad we didn't waste sleep staying up for a 1 a.m. watch party at the hotel.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Crash Kvyat is back to his old form tho....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 15, 2019, 02:06:28 PM
Glad we didn't waste sleep staying up for a 1 a.m. watch party at the hotel.

EXACTLY what I was thinking as I watched it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Vikram

Was it really kvyat's fault this time?

I hate how mercedes invent their competition and claim how tough the weekend was. No one is buying it, we're being treated like we're idiots. Toto was already on about ferraris straight line speed advantage in Baku....

That being said ferrari need to sort their strategy out.

Jims5543

Quote from: Vikram on April 15, 2019, 10:29:28 PM
Was it really kvyat's fault this time?

I hate how mercedes invent their competition and claim how tough the weekend was. No one is buying it, we're being treated like we're idiots. Toto was already on about ferraris straight line speed advantage in Baku....

That being said ferrari need to sort their strategy out.

Why are Ferrari so fast in the straight line?  Have they sacrificed downforce?  That is what it seems line to me.  Red Bull did this years ago as well, they knoew they were 80 HP down so they tried to rely on chassis for grip and dial back downforce so they could cope on the straights.

I do not think Ferrari have all the power everyone thinks they do. I think Mercedes are running their engines easy and are using more downforce, hence their advantage in the turns.

I too think this manufactured competition is insulting as well.

Trust me, Mercedes have not even touched party mode yet, if they have it was on Saturday, on Sunday they have not needed it.

They are toying with Ferrari right now, their double stack pit stop is something you can pull off when you are crushing the entire field.  They are controlling the races right now. I doubt Ferrari will beat them in development.

MiniDave

Well, in some ways this was a heck of a race, passing all up and down the grid. Tough day for Leclerc but he did as well as he could have been expected to do - finishing 5th from 10th starting place. He was fun to watch in the early laps as he passed car after car.

The Hondas are continuing to show good form and power, but the McLarens are improving each race, Interesting how the Renault engine customer cars seem to be doing better than the Renault powered Renaults! The Racing Force Point cars both finished in the points today too.

The lead car usually rums off and hides from the field but this race was pretty close all the way thru. The last few laps I think everyone was convinced the Hamster would pass Vallteri for the win but Vallteri seemed to think he could defend against him and did hold on to the end, so good for him.

You have to hand it to Mercedes - they are simply the best team, and have been for a while now.

Lewis and his do-rag.....so it's proper to remove your hat during the anthem, but a do-rag doesn't count?

Mercedes now leads the championship by 74 points - I think Jim's prediction may come true after all....sad to say

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

As Joni Mitchell one sang: "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".   

Just listen to the sound of F1 some 15 years ago, back when the cars made proper racecar sounds.

No announcers or commentary, just the cars themselves.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on May 03, 2019, 08:08:28 PM
As Joni Mitchell one sang: "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".   

Just listen to the sound of F1 some 15 years ago, back when the cars made proper racecar sounds.

No announcers or commentary, just the cars themselves.

Went to the 2011 F1 race in Montreal and was so happy I did. While not the V10's the V8's still sounded so good. When we go to the track the cars were running and flying by underneath us as we walked over a bridge, it was the first time hearing an F1 V8 in person and it was glorious.

I am not even interested in hearing the current cars. F1 really has lost its way, it should not be PC and green, it should be what Top Gear and Grand Touring was, ANTI PC and green.

My regret is never hearing a V10 in person, although I hear a local wealthy person owns some V10 cars and runs them at a local track, I will have to figure out how to get there and hear them.