What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I have 3 workbenches and it's a daily challenge to keep them usable, clean and the stuff cleared off them.  ;D

I like Dan's bench on wheels but it wouldn't work in my tiny shop....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've thought about getting a smaller metal roller cart for tools.  Almost can't have too many benches and carts in a shop.

MiniDave

HF has some pretty cool tool carts, they have 1, 3 or 5 drawers in them so you can keep the tools that you use the most with you.

Like this

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-bulk-storage-black-tech-cart-64002.html

or this

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-4-drawer-black-tech-cart-64096.html

With a 20% off coupon they're pretty affordable

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yep that's exactly what I had in mind.  I'm almost out of tool storage so I may be getting one soon.

MiniDave

I think the three drawer is the best combination of usefulness and size. With the big 5" casters they roll easily too. These are really well thought of on Garage Journal

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My HF roller tool chest is damn nice, and not expensive! 3 years years of solid use and holding up good.

MPlayle

Read the 20% coupon carefully.  They are not valid on some things.  Make sure the tool carts are not among the exclusions.

When I got my latest one, I got it from Home Depot.  About the same as the HF, but included the side shelf and was slightly cheaper than even the 20% off HF at the time.  May not be that way now.

MiniDave

Tis the season, there should be all kinds of sales on these right now.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea the subframes are complete. Only thing still need to do is assembly the new front axles for the disc conversion.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

SoCalMiniFan

Haven't done much in my work wise in my work shack lately but submitted plans to the city for my new and improved workshop! 

Will start packing the current space up into a POD after Christmas, Demo on the current structure will begin shortly after and breaking ground for the new space in early March weather permitting.

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

94touring

Jen got me a craftsman 20 piece ratcheting wrench set for my bday so Santa is probably getting me the shop cart to start organizing the overflow of tools from the tool chest. 

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200657584_200657584

gr8kornholio

Score, I need a set of those in SAE for my Australian built British car.  Lol.  I have the metric set.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Sears had a sale on them online. Has both metric and sae in the set.

MiniDave

I have both sets too, I use them all the time.....

Letting your sig other buy tools for you is fraught with peril, looks like she got this one right!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Pulled the rest of the stereo wiring out of the truck and hooked the speakers back up. Also solved it's rough start problem. While under the hood I found the distributor vacuum line was off. Think it was running rich too. 

gr8kornholio

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MD-IN-UK

I didn't do doodley squat. Too cold and wet to be out with my baby.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

MiniDave

Still working on the not so Innocent-I  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I had a problem with the HVAC fan not running on positions 1,2 or 3 only on 4, seems to be a common problem, there is a resistor in the fire wall you have to change.

It looks like this when old.

It should have been an easy job, because I have an engine swap, I had to pull the decorative cover off the valve cover the the decorative cover off the intake.

Then I had 4 screws to pull, 3 were easy, the 4th... it was behind the engine (damn swap) and I had about 1/2" room to work in.  I had to put a socket in the jaws of a pair of needle nose vice grips and spend 30 minutes working the screw loose and out.

I also changed the oil and installed a strut bar I purchased 2 years ago and never bothered to install, since I had to pull the old one off it seemed like a great time to swap them out. It is a work of art.

Then I fiddled with the headlights some, I was never happy with the new assembly I installed, I realized I had not adjusted them correct initially. I am now happy with them.

I am about to put 1500+ miles on her next weekend. Heading to Wilmington NC for a long weekend with wif and kid. Stopping over just North of Savannah on Thursday night, then taking coastal route 17 all the way into the Wilmington and doing some exploring along the way.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jedduh01

Installed a 'super' 998 into my Pickup!   Begone little  850!

998 A+ Block

Bored .060 Over  -   1275 13G Head  -  SW midrange camshaft
   3 into 2 exhaust manifold
  3.2 CWP Gearing

Swapped the original 998 Magic wand  shift setup onto a 4 Sync AA Remote gearbox..  (keeping the Puddin Stirr'er

Single HS4 Carb  ( thanks MityMous)   She started almost instantly!

45D Distrubutor with Pertronix + ACCEL SUPER POWER WIRES! 

Todo's  = forgot the 1275 head is different thermostat spacing and orientation = need 1275 Hose + upper bracket!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rdp59YbDdTovPuFUA

MiniDave

Cool! Is that air filter going to clear the bonnet at the back?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Air filter= yet to really find out

It Barely sticks up above the lip of the drip rail..Im sure it will be close. Will put the bonnet on soon to find out....
  I do Have a normal cone filter if needed =  for this' stock looking' build i kinda would not be afraid to go with a 'stock' plastic box if i could find one. Stock boxes work fine + are quieter anyhow.