What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I did a set of those H1's on a Bugeye too, they are a bit of a PITA but once you get them dialed in they run pretty sweet....

I have a set of those 8.4" non ventilated disc calipers if you need them.....

What is that in the middle pic?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Ahh - - Middle pic

Cut thru of the original brake hoses on the 1960 Bugeye.

Brakes would stick on + Very uneven braking... Removed lines and nearly NO fluid came out.
Clearly Very collapsed. and Could not blow thru.. Amazing they even kindof worked.

New lines installed = 3 clicks of adjustment to even the 'drag' to all the shoes = Brakes are now Amazing... (holding my breath a wheel cylnder doesn't need replacement. but Driving today!

MiniDave

Wow, I've never seen one swollen shut like that!

Let me know if you need those calipers, I could bring them with me to CMU 60 in early October.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on August 26, 2019, 11:54:15 AM
Wow, I've never seen one swollen shut like that!

Let me know if you need those calipers, I could bring them with me to CMU 60 in early October.

Thanks Dave!

Our friend Bahowe  took off a set of 8.5's in Favor of 7"inches to run 10 inch wheels on his Vtec car... So they are available .
  I also have a set of Torn down Calipers needing a rebuild  Just a matter of  do I want to refurb them.  or get something to bolt on...

Sort of weighing the options to the owner. 

jedduh01

Yumm !  New Brakes !   

Getting ready to Take Drums off my Pickup for Disks!

MiniDave

Is that the MiniSport kit? That sure is a good value for $500.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I took my aussie only trim bits to a trim restoration shop today.  $ouch$  They are going to start with the easy to fix pieces while I try to locate repops or better condition originals.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

What sort of trim bits?

I was appalled at the cost of the Newton Commercial interior I bought, with the labor I paid to have the seat covers installed I think I could have just had them made, in leather too instead of vinyl.

I'm trying to find a radiator overflow tank for the Inno, as many things, it's a unique part to the 1300 Export, and mounts on the bulkhead. I figure it was removed in England as it sits right where the master cylinders go when you convert to RHD.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

There is specific trim from around the door windows and the vent window area.  Also where the window winds down into the door.  Along with the little trim pieces of the door bins at the front.  All Aussie specific and not in any mini store I can find over there.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Built a giant erector set to change our a light fixture. 

Willie_B

gr8kornholio

Safe.  Safer than a ladder but just building it was sketchy. Once completed it felt solid. Luckily I could use my stairs to build it and climb up it.  Best $45 spent on a rental.

94touring

Now the question is, do you need that anytime you change out a bulb?

I had plans to do shop stuff this week since I was sick last week.  Instead I played catchup at home and had to get an eye exam and various other things taken care of.

gr8kornholio

Thankfully no, the actual fixture hangs low enough and the chain is long enough you can change them from the stairs.

tmsmini

I made a mess of things yesterday. Now I need to clean up today. I was trying to find all the pieces for a HIF44 setup.

I did find some info for Dean on the electronic speedo and I was able to take my son's El Camino out for some exercise as it sits in our driveway while he lives in San Francisco.

94touring

Sc engineering stuff, looking good!

I get home today, run some errands in the morning, then put a welder to Mark's Aussie to finish up a few patches.  Then a trip to the paint store for supplies.

BruceK

I collected my Mini from my friend's barn where it's been stored over the last couple of months while I completed my relocation.   I'm happy to report I found no rodent damage anywhere - which was a concern of mine with storage in that location.   

The car had been kept on a battery maintainer and it started right up when I turned the key. It ran great on the 90 minute journey to our new home over the back roads of the Hill Country.   Surprised a few drivers of big pickups by passing them!  ;D.  I really enjoyed driving it again.

Back in my own garage.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Great. Is it cooler now so you get out during the day?

BruceK

I wish. It was in the low 90s today - cooler temps are around the corner I am hoping.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Not for us, low 90's all next week till the T-storms hit on Thurs, then it will drop all the way down to 89.... ::)

But, I got to drive the Racing Green about 150 miles today with the Lawrence All British Car Club - and today it was nice out - low 80's

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on September 14, 2019, 07:00:46 PM
Looks shiny Bruce?

Must be the low lighting. But should be shiny under all the many months accumulation of grime, bugs, dust and plain old dirt.  Really needs a good bath...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Fixed John Styer's Jensen Healey that wouldn't start. The engine wouldn't crank over and he was pretty sure it needed a starter, but he'd had it rebuilt locally only a couple of years ago so I thought we should do a couple of tests first.....I thought maybe the trigger wire wasn't delivering enough voltage to pull the solenoid in like on an old VW. John thought it might be the ignition switch too, which is pretty much unobtainable so I came prepared with a relay to wire into the circuit.....

The first thing we checked was the battery - dead - wouldn't even light the headlights - a fairly new Advance Auto Battery, but the car does sit in storage a bit. So we got out the jump box, that made the lights come on dimly and the fuel pump run, and the starter clunked. So bad starter he's still thinking.

Then I noticed - the trigger wire for the solenoid was off the starter - AHA! I plugged it on the starter and it still just clunked. Since it was in the low 90's already in the hot storage unit, I suggested that before we went to the trouble of pulling the starter (which thankfully is right out in the open and available from the top) we try the battery from the Vue we drove over. It took about 5 min to get it out and move it over to the Jensen but - viola'! Fired right up!

So we took the battery from the Jens over to Advance and left it with them to charge and test - the battery was showing 3 volts, so I think it's no good.

I love it when it's easy!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Not so much what I did in my shop, but the tiny town my shop resides at screwed up my water bill.  The water portion of my city bill is usually something like $12.  This month get the bill and it's $106.  I've been there a handful times a month the past few months.  Flush the toilet, wash my hands.  Get on the phone and explain this.  They were suppose to send someone out to reread the meter.  A week goes by and more calls and it never gets done.  So yesterday drove out and read it myself.  First of all the grass had grown clear over the meter box and it had to be dug up, 2nd the meter itself was caked with dirt and had to be wiped off.  Basically they don't read the meter and probably haven't in the 4 years I've been there.  Snapped a picture of the reading and drove to city hall.  My reading wasn't even close to what they had on file.  Back to $12.

gr8kornholio

Not surprised. They most likely estimated your usage based off the neighborhood.  Our city only reads every other month so summer there is always that massive jump bill cause they didn't read it the first month of watering and by the time they do read it you have 2 months of watering and it goes from 60 to 200.  Always causes a blowup on town social media.  They should really alert people to this but even if they did no one would pay attention.  Lol.