Jet Hot Coating

Started by MiniDave, July 27, 2018, 09:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

...or equivalent. Anyone ever have this done to their exhaust parts?

On my old Jag I just used high temp paint and it lasted a pretty long time, but it's starting to wear off so I'm looking for other solutions as this was quite a long time ago. I think there are even powder coatings now that can be done?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

For headers or something?  I used por high temp manifold paint on my intake manifold and headers.  Comes in a rattle can.  Have yet to see how long it will last, but por seems to be on top of their paints.

MiniDave

That's a good point, I found a place locally that will ceramic coat it for $150.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've known plenty of rotary folks ceramic coat with happy success.  One thing I noted was the 66 guy bought expensive coated headers, while I bought mine plain.  After spraying my por high temp paint on, you couldn't tell them apart.

MiniDave

After I got the manifold back I was pretty impressed with the coating - I tried to scratch it with a sharp pointy thing and - nuttin. It felt slippery too...interesting stuff. Jet Hot offers three different temp ratings of their coatings - 700, 1500 and 2000+, this company only uses the 2000+ coating. Time will tell but I think it's pretty good stuff.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Interesting.  I wonder if a coating like that is ever used in the art world, such as for a sculpture...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Aren't most art castings done in bronze?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I guess so.  But I suppose you could apply a ceramic coating to that too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm sure you could, but what would be the point? Bronze doesn't need weather protection like steel or cast iron. Most kinetic sculptures are build out of stainless steel.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Okay. I just liked the way it looked and was thinking of other uses.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

They offer different colors albeit all in the same family - medium grey that looks like fresh cast iron and matt silver along with this black. It's weird how it feels, kinda wet and slippery, even tho it's completely baked on. Interesting stuff.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad