Tool Storage

Started by MiniDave, June 15, 2018, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Probably the next major expense is your tool box, if not the box itself, then all the stuff you have in it!

I renovated my shop space a few years ago, I had a number of small tool boxes just crammed full of stuff, plus a big Stainless box I had bought for work - BTW, one of the best boxes I ever bought - I got it from Costco on sale for $600 and it's really nicely built, with ball bearing slides for the drawers and nice drawer liners. It's heavy too, the top box weighs 300 and the bottom 350lbs empty!

Once I retired I needed to consolidate so I bought 2 of the Harbor Freight 44's, and they also are a real buy. I paid $360 for each  and built a stainless counter top over them to give me some more work space - of course it winds up covered in crap!

I still have my other tool boxes, I probably should sell them as they're just sitting empty in the basement but just haven't gotten that done yet. And of course, that still wasn't enough storage space for all my tools, I put up some cabinets on the walls to hold larger things like circular saws and other power tools.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I can confirm the HF rolling carts are really nice and priced right! I may buy a 2nd one as my tools are at max capacity in it.

gr8kornholio

Bought one of those 44's earlier this year.  Needed more space after inheriting a pile of the grandfather in laws tools.  Love that stainless work area/tool chest cabinet 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

John Gervais

Wow, that's nice, big and clean!  I hope to move someday to a place that has 'space'.  I use a couple of simple plastic tool boxes, have a large metal box on the floor and a square metal box sitting on a shelf.  My grease guns are resting on a couple of coat hooks mounted to the wall.
- Pave the Bay -

jedduh01

Going all 'Garage Journal" in here!    all in the name of good ideas !   

Mini Dave actually inspired me to do the same with a HF 44'  Under the bench.
  This is from 2015 and for sure have had some 'changes"   Top box is all my regular use hand tools.  Has shifted RIGHT to use more' Pegboard'

Bottom box is all specialty stuff + lesser used but used stuff. I also have 2 other boxes on the back of the garage that holds all the 'slow use /random things  That special  hand bent 1/2 wrench that gets the bottom wok loose on a mini,  or the taps and dies or the extractors... or EXTRA sockets + wrenches.

I like having dedicated drawers for  things.. Prybars. / Electrical 'everything"/   Full Bike tool drawer ,  of course there is a MISC random as all get out drawer of crapola.

I added a PC (laptop) to one end and a stool that's very useful for research or marking or making notes or wasting time in the garage on the web...

I also use 1 normal 'office use' file cabinet = Heavier than a dickens.. but they hold alot!   one drawer is chemicals and supplies (brake cleaner, Brake fluid= oils)   Another drawer is full of spare parts by car... Volvo , Then MINI Spares, Then Random random.

The last storage I love are also Office file cabinets.   The wide ones. = Full Roller drawers (locking)
I have Two,  a 3 drawer one + and a tall 5 Drawer.  Deep + Wide   
  I keep the Construction tools inside / Large tools inside. Spare parts inside. Circular saws / Corded saws. Pullers / hosts .... Drawered away.  I have always found them at  goodwill /  Re'store / salvation army for 50-75-100$ depending

MiniDave

That looks great, the more organized you re the easier it is to work IMHO.

I also have a laptop, and I'm thinking about getting a big flat panel for the wall above it.

One thing I don't have is a big honking stereo setup - too distracting and I make enough noise out there as it is.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

After seeing these I may build a surface over my toolbox.  I have a couple work spaces, but they are not near my tool boxes.  I got a little blue tooth speaker for my phone out there, nothing too loud since my music tastes are loud to begin with.  17.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: jedduh01 on June 22, 2018, 07:49:10 AM

Mini Dave actually inspired me to do the same with a HF 44'  Under the bench.

When my brain first read that I thought I was seeing HIF 44, so I was wondering why the carb under the bench?  :-[
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

joakwin

I have 2 lista cabinets I put my tools in

the two bottom drawers on each cabinet are split into 2, and the rest are split into 3

they are some heavy mofo's

https://www.listacabinets.com/series-cabinet-drawers-compartments-p-23.html
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

Heavy and spendy, but really quality storage......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad