My TV just crapped out

Started by BruceK, June 08, 2018, 01:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

It's just 3 years old.  What the heck?!    They sure don't make 'em like they used to. 

Repair or replace?  While it is tempting to consider buying a new TV, I'm going to try to repair this one.   From what I found on the interwebs concerning the symptoms on my model, it's likely the power supply board (I know for sure it's not the picture tube  ;D ).  So for $80 I'm going to give it a shot with a new power supply board. .   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

ve9aa

You sure it's not the picture tube...............Bwa-hahahahah, just kidding Bruce ! ;-)

I had one some 16-17 yrs ago and it lasted 2 yrs + 2 months.  You guessed it....warranty was 2 yrs.

I was able to give it a little more life resoldering 100+ connections on the tuner board.

My current TV is ~8 yrs old and the screen blanks out when the inside temp in the room gets above 26-27*C.....I reboot the TV and all is good (usually) for another hour or so. (sometimes the rest of the night).  Next step will be maybe to install a small fan behind the TV to improve heat flow.  I suspect a failing component that doesn't like the heat.  Maybe I'll get a few more years out of it.

They SURE don't make things like they used to.   I can't even buy parts of it and it's a big brand name.

SIGH!  :(
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

Quote from: ve9aa on June 08, 2018, 02:10:47 PM
You sure it's not the picture tube...............Bwa-hahahahah, just kidding Bruce ! ;-)

I had one some 16-17 yrs ago and it lasted 2 yrs + 2 months.  You guessed it....warranty was 2 yrs.

I was able to give it a little more life resoldering 100+ connections on the tuner board.

My current TV is ~8 yrs old and the screen blanks out when the inside temp in the room gets above 26-27*C.....I reboot the TV and all is good (usually) for another hour or so. (sometimes the rest of the night).  Next step will be maybe to install a small fan behind the TV to improve heat flow.  I suspect a failing component that doesn't like the heat.  Maybe I'll get a few more years out of it.

They SURE don't make things like they used to.   I can't even buy parts of it and it's a big brand name.

SIGH!  :(

Mike, I found an supplier that had what I wanted for my TV, and they might have what you need:   ShopJimmy.com   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

If mine had been that simple (and cheap) I might have tried to fix it too, but I'm happy with the new 65" I bought. If I get 10 years out of it like the last one I'll be OK with it.

Can't wait to see what new technology we'll have in 10 years (assuming I'm still here then!)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 08, 2018, 02:29:18 PM
If mine had been that simple (and cheap) I might have tried to fix it too, but I'm happy with the new 65" I bought. If I get 10 years out of it like the last one I'll be OK with it.

Right now I am gambling on the part I ordered fixing it.  So, I could just be throwing more money at it.

Quote from: MiniDave on June 08, 2018, 02:29:18 PM
Can't wait to see what new technology we'll have in 10 years (assuming I'm still here then!)

I sure hope you're around in just 10 years!    Regarding tech, I'm sure it will continue to amaze (and frustrate) us.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

You know, it's funny how age changes your perspective.....when you're 20, 10 years seems like forever off over the horizon, when you're 50, 10 years is just an amorphous time off in the future. When you're 70 it's not necessarily a given.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ve9aa

It's soooo true.  The other day at work, one of the young fellas (~25yrs old) said "... a long time ago....blah blah blah...", so I asked him just how long that was...and he said "....must be close to 2 years....".

For me, a long time ago might be 30-40 yrs ! ! ! (I am mid 50's)

It's all perspective.
Mike in NB

gr8kornholio

What brand was it? LCD? LED?  I still love my Panasonic plasma TVs.  The one that has been in the bedroom is 11, it was the main TV untill I bought the big one which is going on 9.

Of course part of me secretly wishes one would go cause I'd love a new OLED TV and with the new edgeless ones I could get more screen in the same footprint.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

The wife poohpooh'd me when I said I wanted the 65" (go big or go home!) - she thought the 46 was plenty big enough but I've been really happy with it.....it's surprising how much more detail you see in every frame now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 09, 2018, 08:52:45 AM
What brand was it? LCD? LED?  I still love my Panasonic plasma TVs.  The one that has been in the bedroom is 11, it was the main TV untill I bought the big one which is going on 9.

Of course part of me secretly wishes one would go cause I'd love a new OLED TV and with the new edgeless ones I could get more screen in the same footprint.

It is a Vizio 55" smart TV.  So nothing fancy, but geez it's only 3 years old.  I was perfectly happy with it until it stopped working.   

I should know in a week or so if a new power supply will fix it.  If not, time to get a new TV - which of course, will be both better and cheaper!  We really are spoiled with electronics these days.  That is until, of course, the robots take over.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jeff10049

Power supply seems likely, I have replaced the capacitors on several power supply boards and had good results for about 3 dollars worth of parts. Dose it have any swollen caps on the board?

BruceK

Quote from: jeff10049 on June 09, 2018, 11:09:30 AM
Power supply seems likely, I have replaced the capacitors on several power supply boards and had good results for about 3 dollars worth of parts. Dose it have any swollen caps on the board?

No, all the capacitors look okay.  No obvious signs of it not working. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

It lives again! 

Turns out it was a bad power supply.    Took just 10 minutes to install the new part.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Cool, well done..... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Nice when it's something simple.

ve9aa

Right on Bruce ~! 4.gif

I installed a USB port powered fan near the back of my TV and it's helped, but not totally solved the problem.

Onwards and upwards.
Mike in NB