Value of Moke?

Started by Whee, August 24, 2018, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whee

Bruce, Mini-Dave (and others). You seem pretty good at valuing Minis. What's your thoughts on this one?

I need to give a value for insurance.

1968 Moke. Originally white, now black. From inspection runs and drives well. Body solid, apart from one rust spot in side pod where battery was rubbing against body. Passed MOT August 2017 after initially failing on horn not working.

Feel free to point out flaws - I know it's not perfect and my feelings won't be hurt.

I'll tell you all what I paid for it when all the discussion is done :)

BruceK

My '66 Moke had one wiper, but you got yourself a Mk II Moke with two wipers!!   Oooo.  All fancy!  ;D   

I'm not the Moke expert - Michael and Brad both have fresh Moke grease under their fingernails.  Other than the paint, it looks very original and complete. Nice to see it has not been customized like that red thing on BaT.   Still have the 850?  What's with the thing on the steering support?  Switch of some kind?  I would say with a minimal cleanup and fitting any missing stuff and addressing small details (to avoid nitpicking) this could Moke could easily go for $25K on BaT.  Perhaps more.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Having passed a MOT means it's really been given a through look over by a disinterested 3rd party. That's worth a lot more than the minor cost of the MOT test itself. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I would bet it is pretty darn rare too.  BMC only made about 1,400 home-market English Mokes. And very few of them were the Mk II Moke.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 24, 2018, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 24, 2018, 04:15:15 PM
I would bet it is pretty darn rare too.  BMC only made about 1,400 home-market English Mokes. And very few of them were the Mk II Mokes.

I believe it was originally sold in Malta.

Ah.  Still, not a lot of English Mokes made anyway. Like 14,000.  Fewer than Cooper S models.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The knob on the steering column support appears to be a windshield washer pump.

A 1968 Moke would be a MK-II.  Mine is a 1967 and considered a MK-II as well.  I seem to recall reading somewhere the wipers began transitioning to the dual wiper setup near the end of the MK-I Mokes in something like April 1966.

It definitely appears more solid and correct than mine was when I bought it.  After getting mine, I felt I over-paid for its condition.  Since mine needed the new shell and a lot of other things, I chose to go the mild "resto-mod" route as detailed in the thread elsewhere on this site.

As it sits in the pictures, I would set it lower than Bruce's estimate, but higher than I paid for mine - say the $16K to $20K range.  Cleaned and freshened up would move that up.  Fully restored (like the green one that sold on BaT) would put it up into the same upper $30K to $40K range on sites like BaT.

My guess is that you paid under $10K and got a good to great deal on it.

Jimini II

Nice find. It looks like a correct UK MK II Moke with a washer pump installed in the steering column bracket which was probably not an issue in Malta and was maybe fitted for MOT purposes in the UK.
Apart from the respray in black it looks pretty unmolested i am guessing as it has a V5C it is coming from the UK?
My guess on price is £12,000 GBP or around $15,500 USD plus shipping both sides, port clearance, broker, taxes etc.
What is your plan drive as is for the Summer or strip it and respray it over the Winter?

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 24, 2018, 03:00:14 PM

I'll tell you all what I paid for it when all the discussion is done :)

So... care to share? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Great price!  Looks like it's ready to enjoy without having to address anything. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

12K GBP exchanges to about $15,467 USD on XE.com as of this posting.

Edit:
I got distracted and forgot to finish my train of thought.  As your black Moke looks in considerably better condition than my white Moke turned out to be on purchase, I still think you got a very good deal.

Jimini II

Quote from: Whee on September 05, 2018, 07:44:06 AM
Thank you all. This confirms my thinking that I paid a fair price for the car. Certainly wish I had got the bargain that Mplayle hinted at - I was looking for a year but non-dodgy Moke bargains were not to be found and I got impatient.
Jimini II nailed it exactly.. 12k GPB was the price I paid.

Yeeey !!!! A fair price for what looks to be a nice well maintained Moke with no obvious issues.
Welcome to the world of Mokes you will Love it.
As Chuck Heleker said "if i had to sell all my Mini's the Moke would be the last to go". I agree with him 100%.

Jimini II

Glad you got it home with no issues and the bonus of it being in better shape than you expected is a big plus.
Welcome to the world of Moking.

drmini

Nice Moke!  As far as insurance valuation, I would insure it for at least $25 large.  You may not have that much in it, but trying to replace a rust free MKI Moke would be costly.  Probably hard to do at $25, but it would be a good place to start.  FWIW, some 67 MKI, and all MK2 Mokes had the hinge points for the bonnet moved higher on the bulkhead.  This (combined with the longer hinge loops) enabled the bonnet to clear the windshield wiper arms.  Anyway, glad to see you got it home and are enjoying it.

jedduh01

Nice to see full pictures of your Moke= Quite a nice adventure you jumped into with picking it up from Houston  + driving to Dallas. Glad its home!

Eval  - 15K  you' would be near impossible to replace for that $$
       25K= would be able to Re shell if absolutley necessary!  I agree.

Moke sold QUICKLY after being listed on MM last week it was in South Carolina  had not run in years , was in storage but was complete ..Painted Clemson Orange     .. I was  a few hours slow on the phone to inquire about it.. should have jumped in car and headed for it  = Sold to another faithful Moke owner in GA =   10K$

Is your Moke it black?  or a dark dark Blue?  I say Barrents blue becasue that's what i painted my Moke upon restoration!  (  a Land rover color )
    Now tho wishing I had gone with original green...

drmini

Peter, what is the toggle switch on the bulkhead just in front of the driver?

MiniDave

Quote from: Whee on October 05, 2018, 02:55:54 PM.
The 850 is great up to about 50 mph around town. Can do 60 on the freeway if needed. That's on the flat. Going up a hill is quite another story! There is a 75mph freeway merge up a hill that I shall be avoiding. Will do about 30 mph up the canyon to my house.

the altitude you're at isn't helping any, they say 6k takes away 25% of your hp on a normally aspirated car - so you're down from 33 to about 25 under the best circumstances. You either need a turbo or a bigger motor - and a turbo! :-)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: drmini on October 25, 2018, 07:16:55 AM

Looks to me like it may be a manual windshield washer pump.

drmini

Quote from: MPlayle on October 25, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
Quote from: drmini on October 25, 2018, 07:16:55 AM

Looks to me like it may be a manual windshield washer pump.
Not the thing on pedal box, but the toggle switch on the bulkhead.