Opinions on selling a project mini

Started by Turbodave, March 13, 2018, 07:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbodave

I've got a '78 mini that I bought to the USA 12 years ago, and have done NOTHING with in that timeframe, other than move it around
I therefore think its time to move it on... How would you guys do it though?

It's got a 1275 core motor in it right now - is it worth the effort of trying to get it running, even if it wouldn't be pretty?

It's all solid (original sills) but some monkey bondo'd some big ugly arches onto it, and also it had a new front end at some point (I can't figure out why though) and it was probably aftermarket panels as they decided to fill in all the gaps with more bondo... I do have a new fibreglass 2-piece front end though, that I'd sell with it. They did a crappy amateur spray job on it too.

Interior is rover cooper half-leather, and may need a clean, but it probably ok.

Has 12" alloys and 8.4" brakes.

So, I have an incredibly ugly, but very solid mini, that'd be a great basis for a relatively easy rebuild.

What are your opinions on what I should do here? At least try make it an ugly runner (don't honestly know anything about the engine) or pull the 1275, sell it as a core, and sell the mini as a roller to some vtec guy? Or just figure out a price for all the options like parting it out completely?

What you think in this present state of the mini scene I'd be best doing?

MiniDave

Wow.....I'm thinking to maximize whatever bux you might get would require parting it out......projects that need this much don't bring a lot of money, but then you have the hassle of disassembly, advertising, shipping parts out and so on. Pulling the motor and selling it as a Vtec donor might be a good way to market it.

So for quick money put it on Craigslist and MiniMania and sell it whole

For most cash, part it out and prolong the process.

You say an "easy" project, but is it really? It needs complete paint and body work, interior, engine, brakes and probably suspension work - so IOW a total rebuild. But somebody on Craigslist might see it that way and take it off your hands......

Good luck, and if you decide to part it out, put the parts up here on the forum too in case some of us can use what you have.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Turbodave

I guess what I meant by "easy project" was that there is little metalwork needed. That's usually the bit most folks struggle with.
I purchased this specifically because it was so solid; its actually more solid than my turbo mini, but it's not my turbo mini lol...

I'm thinking of pulling the engine and selling it as a "roller", with the option of buying a 'core" engine might be a better idea?

I can always offer the engine on here with the premise of delivering it to MME2018 as an option.

What are your guys opinions of listing something like this on BAT?

jedduh01

As a whole  its a solid base. but as a project, sure it needs alot...

To make life easy = List it Locally = Craigslist + Mini Mania  + Here... quite simply if someone local pops in and takes it away  for waht you want  .. Easy on life.

Partouts get messy and you get left with leftovers or ' pieces still in the way, if you really want it gone... go as a whole.

BAT == i think would be more trouble than worth .. Purists will pick it apart...  is the  Titlework in place?  all points to pick that BAT would just be more 'explaining posisble ' than needed.   Sell to someone reasonable that can understand the 'needs from rebuilding to paperwork.

Running with oil pressure is a BONUS =  offered as Driving to me would be a  whole other level ( do you want to be sorting fuel and brake systems for a quick sale?)  ( I would say all fluids + hydrolics would need replacement after all this time.... More effort...

MiniDave

Can't hurt to try? If they'll take it - you never know with those guys....one thing's for sure, they'll want it to be "no reserve"

My grandson sold his Honda Beat on BaT, it went very smoothly.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If you dig out the bondo on the front seams is everything tight, only requiring a normal amount of proper seam sealer?  If you rip those flares off will there be anything crazy under them hiding? If you put a fresh battery in would it crank over?