Formula 1 - 2018 Season

Started by BruceK, February 13, 2018, 02:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yeah, that would help......

I didn't get to see the end of qually as it ran over the limit and my recorder switched off.....have to make an adjustment there....

DiResta was doing some of the trackside commentary I saw - he explained ad nauseum why Bottas went off - they must have shown the clip of him spinning 30 times!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The screwups continue at ESPN.    I am trying to watch the prerace show live.  The first 10 minutes of the broadcast were live shots of Melbourne, the circuit, the crowd, pitlane, etc. all without any commentary - just the ambient sounds.   Then ESPN suddenly out on some sports magazine show for 10 minutes.  Now they have gone back to F1 prerace with Damon Hill and some other guy on the grid but it is silent -  there is no audio.

Edit:  audio now working. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Well, that was certainly a surprise ending......

Dunno if it really portends things to come this season, but it made for a nice change.

As for the much vaunted and anticipated Sky feed........I don't understand what the hoopla was all about, frankly I'd rather have Varsha and Matchett on the mics.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

I failed to realize that it was going to shown here in the UK early in the morning....I just checked the results.  I'm glad Hamilton didn't win and glad my fave driver (Ricciardo) finished as well as fourth. 

Nothing against Hamilton, I just get bored when he wins all the time. LOL

MiniDave

This race, much like all the others for the past 10 years or more, followed the same pattern. If you make it thru the first turn in the lead, the race is yours - unless something happens. Perfect indicator - Hamilton could not pass Vettel even tho he qualified faster and according to the numbers had a faster car. Likewise, Vettel could not catch up to the front cars when Hammy was leading, yet once in front he could maintain the gap just enough to keep the Hamster from getting into DRS range.

It's not racing when you can't pass.

The safety car was a godsend for several drivers, including Alonso - who figured between that and the Haas retirements gained him 4 places. Ferrari for once timed it absolutely perfectly to get Vettel in the lead. And again, even tho he was faster Kimi could not get back to the front.

What happened to both Haas cars was criminal.....but I think they proved the point that they will be the class of the midfield, not Renault or McLaren.

The Hondas lived up to their form too......unfortunately. All the Renault powered cars finished in the top 10 - that's saying something for their reliability and performance!

Over all a decent if typical start to the season.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I was encouraged to see no one particular team being able to run far away - teams seemed to be somewhat closely matched.   I was happy to see Vettel beat Hamilton, who I just really can't warm up to.   

ESPN's coverage was a disaster.   

First, the commentators at SkySports are not markedly better than those of NBC.  I'm not sure they are any better.  There was no shining insight, no well-articulated phrasing, nothing that pulled it above NBC.  In fact, Brundle's grid walk was second-rate compared to those of Will Buxton. (who, it is great to see, has a role at Sky)   Plus, Sky seems to have no equivalent commentary to Machett's technical insight. 

Second, ESPN must have used a chimpanzee to push the button to cut to the commercials.  Because it could not have been done by a human who was watching the race.  Haas team has major issues - let's not follow the American team on American TV, let's just show some commercials now.  Oh, the race is restarting?  Good thing there is the 17th frickin Mother's Polish commercial on during that event.  Post race coverage?  What is that?  Why would you want to hear what Alonso thinks of his car finally being competitive?  Why would you like to know more about Perez and him feeling ill?   Why would you like to hear how Riciardo felt he had performed after getting unfair penalties?  Instead, let's just cut off the Sky feed before any post race analysis and show some stupid sports shit. 

Leaving the live broadcast of a race for a commercial - even showing it on a dual screen during the commercials - and just rejoining the broadcast WITHOUT any commentary or explanation of what was missed is total crap.    It's a half-assed way to do things.

Oh, and it looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way:  https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season-opener-broadcast-was-a-catastrophe-1824057087

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Totally agree on the commercial dumps and then the total lack of explanation of anything that happened during the split screen.

On a lighter note maybe hamster should remove that giant diamond booger from his nose. What the hell bowl did Vettle use to cut his hair. He trying to be loyd from dumb and dumber. Lol.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

pbraun

and no "shlamazole / shlamazile" to be seen anwhere
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Yeah, several of those guys had that bowl haircut - must be a thing now....

As much criticism as they've gotten, I hope to see a real improvement in the broadcast at Bahrain in two weeks.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

With my Cable Upgrade (I switched from ATT to Comcast) I received free TV for 2 years with a DVR, so I have the races being recorded.

After that shit show of a broadcast I am tempted to go back to Kodi and just get the British feed again.

The problem with ESPN is they are trying to put commercials in a broadcast that has no commercials, the SKY broadcast is commercial free from Lights to Flag.

I also found out ESPN did not pay a penny for the rights to broadcast, they got it for free, putting commercials in like they did was pure greed, especially since they are just using the SKY feed people pay $500+ a year to subscribe to.

If they were smart they would do something no one else does in the USA, go commercial free and put scroll advertising from time to time at the bottom, "The commercial free broadcast is being brought to you by (insert sponsor here) and splash a small graphic / logo of the sponsor. It will never happen though, because greed.

The commentators, while there is a warm feeling of nostalgia having Hobbs and Machette talking over the drivers radios, calling out wrong drivers cars, completely missing on track action as they try to outdo each other making a point or joke I was over it, mostly due to the never ending commercials that forced us to miss half the race.

BTW - When Buxton first replaced Peter Windsor I hated him, I felt like Buxton was a drama queen trying to make a story where there was not one.  I eventually changed my mind and actually met Buxton in Montreal 2011 at a pub. He goes out of his way to create more of a vibe with fans organizing a pub meet and trying to get F1 drivers, mechanics etc.. to come down to the pub and say a few words. (at least in Montreal)  I think he does it in Austin too.

I like the Sky feed, I like the commentators Brundle, Hill, Herbert, Di Resta and Davidson as well as now Roseberg all former drivers some current drivers some from ages ago all giving their input.

Not sure what sucks about that versus one mechanic from 30 years ago, I guess that is a matter of taste.

We completely missed the post show which in my opinion, while slanted towards Lewis, is awesome, they spend a lot of time going over items of interest from the race.

Also, you missed that they keep the cameras on the drivers from the moment the race ends to the point they walk out to the podium. Many times it is boring, when there was some fireworks on track, it is very interesting to see, the Roseberg / Hamilton green rooms when Nico won WDC were very interesting.

I was surprised to hear the SKY guys actually spending any time on explaining the obvious, they actually spent time describing the DRS wing on the car, to me, that is akin to explaining what a ball strike and out is to fans during every single baseball broadcast.

If you do not know what they are on about go look it up.

The ESPN coverage was horrible and really ruined the race, although it was a boring race, if it were not for the HAAS mess ups it would have been a procession to the end.

Mercedes Party Mode is terrifying and does not bode well for the season.  It looks like they can pull almost a second a lap out on everyone else in that mode which just sucks.

In race mode at least, it appears they are not able to walk away, there were two things that saved Ferrari, one the VSC the other Bottas wrecking out of qualy and sliding back the grid, he should have been up front being Lewis' teammate, instead Lewis was left to battle the red cars alone, if Bottas had been in the top 4 the Seb would have had to cover his pitstop and never would have had the opportunity to undercut during the VSC.

Australia never gives us the real picture. HAAS always does good in AUS and then starts to slide backwards. I suspect Mercedes have a lot more in reserve and did not show it in Australia. We may not see their true pace until after summer break when it is too late to answer.

I for one will keep trying to watch until it is apparent this will be another Mercedes 1-2 season. Then I will just read up on it on Monday morning with a cup of coffee.

If ESPN can get their heads out of their asses I think you guys will enjoy the SKY broadcast. Change always sucks (see Windsor vs. Buxton above) once you get used to the new guys I think you will like them.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

Is ESPN seeking forgiveness for past sins?    I think they must be.

I watched Practice 3 and there were only 2 commercial breaks.  Didn't feel like I was missing anything and the return to the action was done smoothly. 

Then I watched Qualifying and was very shocked (and happy) there were NO commercials - just Sky coverage - which I am learning to appreciate more. 

It will be interesting to see how they handle the race tomorrow. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

totally forgot to set this up this weekend.  I'll be sure to get the race. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 07, 2018, 10:51:23 AM
totally forgot to set this up this weekend.  I'll be sure to get the race.

It was off my radar too. Just showed up as a pleasant surprise on the DVR. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

I just had the race on live while I working on my laptop.  Commercial free for the entire broadcast.  The way it should be.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Well, THAT was an interesting race, especially from a strategy point of view......a real nail biter at the end!

Vettel did a MASTERFUL job of nursing his tires thru that race

Congrats to Toro Rosso Honda for a terrific 4th place - seems like Big Mac might have jumped one year early, it might be too early to predict, but I expect to see Red Bull with Honda power next year too.

Poor Kimi, if it wasn't for bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all......

Interesting to see the expected improvemnet in Renault this year and the fall of Force India, wonder if all the turmoil with the ownership of that team is affecting their performance?

Sauber getting 2 points, first time in a LONG time......

Could things get any worse for Red Bull, and especially Verstappen?

KMag has had two great races for Haas to start the season, at least this time he got the points to show for it. Grosjean looked terrible in comparison......

Williams dead last, hard to accept given the history of this team, but boy was that a good move for Bottas at just the right time.

ESPN definitely redeemed themselves after the debacle in Oz, no commercials was prety fantastic, but I think they could do with a little less commentary, I don't think there were 10 sec the whole race without someone babbling away.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Great race!!

Well done ESPN.   You did good by not doing anything.   Much appreciated.

Oh, and Lewis Hamilton really is a whiny little bitch.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

;D  4.gif

Interesting to see what getting a competitive engine and driver both did for Sauber, all of a sudden they're in the mid pack instead of finishing the order.

Two drivers really standing out in their early careers - Gasly for Toro Rosso and Ericson for Sauber. I thought Ericson was done and Sauber was his ticket to sports car racing but he has come back and really shown what he can do.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

By the way, all the way at the end of the broadcast there was a brief mention that it was brought to us by Mother's Polish.   Super.   That's who has my business now. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on April 08, 2018, 10:56:05 AM
By the way, all the way at the end of the broadcast there was a brief mention that it was brought to us by Mother's Polish.   Super.   That's who has my business now.

I did not notice that I will be sure to do the same and let them know.

THIS is why I LOVE the Sky feed. You would NEVER see this stuff otherwise.

Look at Vettels face after Hamiltons dickhead comment = Gold!!

LMAO!!

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/1090/hamilton-on-verstappen-he-s-such-a-dickhead/

*edit*

I am tagging them now and emailing them as well I encourage all fans to do the same.
On Twitter

@MothersPolish @ESPNF1 @F1 @LibertyMediaUK Thank you for sponsoring the F1 race today. It did not go unnoticed and will be reciprocated with my exclusive car care business from now on.

MiniDave

No one has commented on the "oil mist" coming out of the back of the Ferrari (and the Sauber too) - you could only see it when the lights were just right, looking at the car from the side with the light behind it you could see it clearly. Gotta wonder exactly what that is?

BTW, the replay of the broadcast this evening had commercials - but they simply stopped the tape and resumed right where they left off.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's AWESOME news!  It was sooo great.  I kept waiting for one and never happened.  Score for ESPN and the weekly sponsor.

BruceK

Super news.  As you can see from the top of his thread, I saw the train wreck coming.  Then I saw it happen with the Oz F1 race.

Wonderful that ESPN has handled it this way.   Of course they are setting a precedent that they might have difficulty matching for next year...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniGene

I was super bummed that Ricciardo was out of the race so quick and for such a lame reason. 

But, I was at the edge of my seat at the end!

MiniDave

Well, it's Noah's ark at the front of the grid for the race in China tomorrow, Vettel just pips Kimi at the last possible chance in Q3 under cold cold cold conditions.....and they said the Ferrari had an advantage under hot conditions?

so tomorrow

Vettel/Raikonenenenene
Bottas/Hamster
Max/Ricky Riccardo
everyone else.......

Vettel is making the absolute most of his chances right now, with a fortuitous win in Oz, and an unbelievable stretch of his worn tires to win in Bahrain last week. If he can hold off Kimi for this one it will make one hell of a start to the season.

And what of the Hamster? He simply gave up on his last lap, after putting in a great lap to stat Q3.......but when the Red jammies boys went even quicker, he decided to take his ball and go home.

Real kudos to Danny Ricky Bobby's mechanics - when he blew his engine in preactice ony to find that Renault did not have a complete power unit available for him, they had to rob bits and bobs off of the blown engine and their own spares to try and build him one in time to qualify. They got him done in time for one flying lap in Q1 and a "well done" to him since he had very linited time in practice to get in a good lap and then go all the way to Q3 and 6th in terrible weather conditions.

The relationship between Renault and Red Bull has to just be in the crapper these days, after the bitter words last season and the poor reliability this season, which the other Renault powered teams don't seem to be having.

I hope Honda continues to shine in the Toro Rosso's so Red Bull can get a solid engine supplier for 2019.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad