Did anyone else 'blow' Christmas gift giving?

Started by John Gervais, December 26, 2017, 06:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Well, Hyacinth is a little mad at me...   11.gif

We've been married now for just over 20 years and I'm always lost when it comes to buying birthday, anniversary and Christmas gifts.

I thought I usually nailed it, having struck a few home-runs in the past; most notable being a 100ml bottle of 'Grossmith Phul-Nana' perfume when at the haute perfume counter in Harrods which totally amazed her.

This year, however, things went a bit 'south'.

She'd been whining about her wine glasses, and since she's got a penchant for the grapes, I bought a nice, new set of 'red' glasses to replace the aging 'set of 5' - the 6th broke years ago and although nothing extraordinary, was never replaced.

I also bought a meat grinder ( 71.gif) for the Kitchen Aid mixer - not the plastic one from Kitchen Aid, but the all-metal German 'Jupiter' unit with stainless-steel knives and dies that Chef's Choice re-brands to theirs.  Additionally, I bought the accessory kit that'll facilitate making homemade sausages and grating/shredding other stuff.

Apparently, these gifts weren't very personal; I thought they were GREAT!  Now she's been in a bit of a 'mood' because I bought myself a new shirt and some suspenders from Cabelas and told her 'thank you, just what I wanted'.

I think we're returning the wine glasses tomorrow and shopping for something 'personal'.

Should be a fun trip.   ::)
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Funny you post this because hours ago my girlfriend texted saying her sisters husband royally screwed up gifts.  He got his wife socks and some hair bands.  Bare in mind they're in their 20s but lots of crying and fighting ensued.  Her sister asked if I'd talk to the boy on how to be a man. I respectfully declined.

As for what I got Jen. Several potions and oils she uses on a regular basis, but the big gift was a pair of shoes I could only find in Italy in the color she wanted.  I also cooked a seafood feast that would have fed a small army, which included Champaign and wine.

gr8kornholio

Not sure why she had the opposition to the whine glasses, but the other one could be construed as an appliance, which should never be given as a gift.  Luckily my wife is fairly easy since she loves pajamas and wears them every night so replacing a couple every year is always a great go to. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

John Gervais

(But it's a meat grinder - how awesome is that!!!)

I'm making a do's & don't list - even though I know I'll be wrong...
- Pave the Bay -

ADRay

this was the first Christmas with my lady friend. when asked I stated "I do not want anything, and I'm not giving you anything. Let's have a nice day of food, drink & merriment". we did, and it was perfect.

long story short, the best way to avoid "bad" gift giving is to not do it at all.  ;D
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

jedduh01

Happily I have a "practical ' Wife too.
       The  'Spa' or ' Massage' Gift certificates always fill the gifting need.

This Christmas weekend I was able to spend some garage time installing her new BOSCH wiper blades and a new Serp Belt tensioner in my garage  quietly by myself with a beer   #Oldcarmaintinace   - Merry Christmas!

and in return She made me a Neat card for some "back order' bicycling gloves that havnt arrived yet.... So we're square!

MiniDave

We've reached the age where we really don't need anything, and we agreed long ago that if we do we go buy it.

This year I did give her two wiggly, furry boy puppies, and I think overall she's pretty happy with that.  9.gif  ;D

However, it's not hard to buy for a spouse or someone you spend a lot of time with, all you have to do is listen - they'll tell you what they like/want/need all year long.....just make notes so you don't forget like I do!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Umm.... just lovely. 

Quote:
"If there's a woman over 50 on your Christmas shopping list, there's a two in three chance she won't like what you buy her, according to new research."

Linky:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106165/Two-thirds-women-50-unhappy-Christmas-gifts.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Thanks guys - this has been very helpful and believe me, therapeutic.  Her birthday's in March; hopefully the dust will have settled by then and I can get a second chance at redemption. 

I've rummaged through her make-up/perfume shelves and made some notes (found that I can write them on the new 'smart phone - clever!), along with some recent 'conversational' revelations.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

'conversational' revelations......that's what you have to listen for......you'll get the hang of it.   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on December 27, 2017, 10:20:16 AM
Umm.... just lovely. 

Quote:
"If there's a woman over 50 on your Christmas shopping list, there's a two in three chance she won't like what you buy her, according to new research."

Linky:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106165/Two-thirds-women-50-unhappy-Christmas-gifts.html

But of the 10 Best list, I only see two or three that a spouse could successfully purchase on her behalf, the rest are so personal that there's no way a guy would get it right. IMHO of course.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MiniDave on December 27, 2017, 11:55:07 AM
'conversational' revelations......that's what you have to listen for......you'll get the hang of it.   4.gif

Definitely a great source of gift information.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 27, 2017, 11:58:08 AM
Quote from: BruceK on December 27, 2017, 10:20:16 AM
Umm.... just lovely. 

Quote:

But of the 10 Best list, I only see two or three that a spouse could successfully purchase on her behalf, the rest are so personal that there's no way a guy would get it right. IMHO of course.

Not as hard as you think.  Just open up their cabinet where they keep that stuff and buy more of it. 

John Gervais

Quote from: MiniDave on December 27, 2017, 11:55:07 AM

We've only been married for 20 years, so maybe there's stamina enough for a few more.  It's crazy how things evolve though; a light bulb that I changed 4 months ago and is completely shielded by the shade unless one looks directly up into it was found to be 'wrong' today.  Yes, one Hyacinth saw up the lampshade...  Thu lumens and 'color' are correct, and it works just fine, but it has a slightly different shape.  I've 'ruined' the lamp, we can't have anything nice without me messing it up and so on.

I think I'm screwed...
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

I guess I'm lucky - no significant other in my life.  First year without any real family as well, so a very quiet holiday with no gifting required.

MiniDave

Then maybe one to yourself this year, Michael?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I kind of did that.  Finally bought a proper "entertainment center" - some assembly required. 

John Gervais

That's awesome - you've got to take care of numero uno.   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Dan gets it.  Girly things, lotions, things she uses, shoes, etc..  Not sure what Hyacinth style is, I found this website recently and plan on a present from it.

https://www.gojane.com/freshshoes.html

Mrs5543 and I are on the same page, Christmas and Birthdays are for the kids.  If I want to piss her off I buy her something on St. Valentines day.  Nothing screams I love you like a forced gift on a St. Hallmark day.

We choose to surprise each other with random gifts. Keeps things more spontaneous that way. Even on our Anniversary, after our 25th we agreed to stop buying gifts and just spend money on a small trip away to spend time along with each other shagging in a strange bed.  ;D

John, I am guessing your Christmas morning did not look like this:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

The banana's definitely a great idea!

I survived the trip to the mother-in-law's house; no drama!

Wanna hear something funny?  Hyacinth went out to dinner with 'the ladies' - 3 thought the whine glasses were really great, and 2 thought the meat grinder was awesome.  Then, yesterday, she told some of the people at the office and the meatgrinder wasn't condemned outright.  The guy's thought it very practical, the girls thought it scored very high on the luxury gourmet scale - they saw the potential, but only if there was some skill or competence behind it.  We'll see.

Hyacinth has actually begun to accept:

• We can use it together - spend time with each other doing something fun and creative.
  • We'll be making and eating (potentially) better quality sausages, tartar, ground fish for fish frikadeller, burrito  meat, ground nuts etc....
  • I won't change.

I'll definitely use the list next year.
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Perspective and peer pressure - two wonderful things!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green