A sad sight - worth someone restoring?

Started by MPlayle, December 22, 2017, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Found this listed very recently on Auto Trader Classics: An 1969 Innocenti Traveler that apparently was flood damaged by Sandy.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1969/mini/other_mini_models/100940600

LarryLebel

The damage looks mostly cosmetic to me. Drain the headlight buckets and spend $2K to fix the damage and another $2K to refurbish the motor. It would have to be a DIY project to be financially worthwhile.

MiniDave

Wasn't Sandy like 3 years ago? If it's had water in it for 3 years it will be more than just draining the headlights...the good news is these cars are simple enough and parts are well available......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It needs all of the wood refinished (some needs remounted as well).  It also needs significant interior work/cleanup.  The front turn signals also have the same rusting as the headlights.  Those two are indicators of the likelihood of significant hidden rust form salt water exposure and then being left to sit for all this time.

The car may also have been an insurance write-off from the storm and is now being resurrected as a project car.

BruceK

Any estate Mini is pretty rare, but an Innocenti estate is really rare.   Based upon how crusty the bottom seat tubes are I'd say they sat for quite a while in water - or maybe the carpets just stayed damp.

For under $5K it might be worth it.  Difficult to say until seeing it in person.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Rust repairs, new instruments, new interior, paint job, new wood, all new wiring, all new electrics, engine/trans overhaul, suspension overhaul.......it's a complete do-over IMHO.

I wouldn't take this on if the car were free, you'd easily have $25K in it if you did most of the work yourself. I know they've redone much worse cars in England, but gad this is a lot of work!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad