What the heck?!

Started by BruceK, December 08, 2017, 08:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

What is going on here? I was looking at Google Maps Street View on my phone and these strange characters appear in the road. At first I thought they were painted on the road surface, sort of like how things are painted on the track at the Nordschleife.  But no, they are virtual only.  And if i move up and down the road in Google Maps Street View these symbols appear again and again each time I move forward or backward.  There's nothing special about the area where this road is that I know about – it's simply a residential area in the Texas Hill Country.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Those were obviously screenshots from my phone, but I just looked at that same location using my laptop and the characters are there - but in a slightly different font.  It this some kind of Easter Egg that Google has programmed for some reason?  They kind of look like runes, but I don't they are.

Here's where I am seeing them:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8675692,-98.2888617,3a,16.7y,33.36h,72.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV5r9aLAcPB64nlY5y3bHEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

It is the street name converted to a strange font.  If you forward onto that side street, the font changes back to normal text and the new street name.

MPlayle

Zooming in on the street names at the stop sign, it should be "Oblate Drive" in whatever font/language it is displaying.

MPlayle

I was able to highlight and copy the script.  I put it into google search as "translate ላይትሀውስ ድራይቭ to english" and it came up with detecting it to be Amharic and translated to "Lighthouse Drive" which is a section of that road further on based on a farther out view on google maps.

Edit: Amharic is out of Ethiopia

John Gervais

That is just so wrong - hope the city cleans the graffiti.  MAGA!
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 08, 2017, 09:32:52 PM
I was able to highlight and copy the script.  I put it into google search as "translate ላይትሀውስ ድራይቭ to english" and it came up with detecting it to be Amharic and translated to "Lighthouse Drive" which is a section of that road further on based on a farther out view on google maps.

Edit: Amharic is out of Ethiopia

Good detective work Michael!   I was trying somehow get the symbols to Google them but I didn't have the skill to capture them.   

So it was street name overlay label that went wrong?  I've never seen that feature on Google Maps before.

And I just leaned about Amharic too!   4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on December 08, 2017, 10:07:39 PM
That is just so wrong - hope the city cleans the graffiti.  MAGA!

LOL!     ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S